The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2019, 07:54 PM

Apparently the florentine cutaway was probably first seen in the guitars of a french luthier named Georges Warnecke in the 19th century.

https://www.fender.com/articles/tech...which-is-which

Most of my guitars in the past have come with some kind of cutaway whether Venetian or florentine. At the moment my only full sized guitar does not have a cutaway. I dont really play higher than the 12th fret anyway but it is a nice to have option if I ever need to play higher than that.

The most unusual cutaways I have seen are the double cutaway that was innovated by Mike Doolin (https://www.doolinguitars.com/lutherie.html) though he has retired from lutherie years ago, and the bendaway with bevel that was introduced by Micky Uchida and paid homage to by Isaac Jang.

Last edited by gitarro; 09-23-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:18 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Some of the tunes I like to play use a capo up high and I need the room. So a couple of my guitars have cutaways, most don't. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-23-2019, 09:37 PM

Another relevant issue is the effect a cutaway has on tone if any. It is my impression that most luthiers do not think the loss of that volume of the guitar cavity makes any difference that is perceptible to human senses. As well the bracing in the top of that sort of the guitsr is usually very heavy for structural reasons and so the loss of that portion of the top to create and cutaway is also not seen to be si ificant.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion