The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-22-2019, 11:42 AM

Default Installing Tuners

hi folks. new member.

i'm playing a farida M-15E (essentially the same design as an M2, but in mahogany w/ electronics). i'm looking to install a set of waverley tuners of similar design to the grover modification the user in this post has carried out.

aside basic maintenance & repair, i've not carried out any modifications to a guitar before, and i'd just like to be cautious. i'm confident i can do it, though i'm not sure how best to go about it. what size drill bit will i need for the new pilot holes? what other tools should i expect to use? i've measured the specs of the new tuners and they ought to fit accordingly. is there any other work i should expect to carry out? i can't find a video guide for installing tuners on a slotted headstock like this anywhere.

the tuners are identical to grover h97, seen here on stewmac

as far as other mods, i've already buffed the finish of my M-15E down to a semi-gloss. i used Meguiars Scratch X and it came up a real treat - i couldn't stand the feel of satin. i'm so happy with this guitar, and i'm sure upgrading tuners from the cheapo plastic classical kind fitted will prove worthwhile.

i'll post some photos tomorrow. thanks and hello!

Last edited by cryingnook; 09-22-2019 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 09-22-2019, 03:38 PM

Default A thought

Learning a new skill on a guitar is really playing in the street. Better to bring the project to OP's friendly neighborhood luthier and pay the bill....
Old 09-22-2019, 07:59 PM

Default Not too difficult.

The string post diameter, post length, and plate screw mounts are the key things to look out for. Steel-string slotted headstock posts vary in diameter: you’ll need an identical diameter to the original tuners unless you’re prepared to alter the current holes. The string posts need to be long enough go through to the centre of the headstock - this shouldn’t be an issue as they are fairly standard.

Lastly, whether the tuners are singles or 3-on-a-plate, you either need tuner that have identical mounting screws to the originals or be prepared to drill new holes. Providing the new tuners cover the existing holes it will all look fine. If new holes are needed then use a drill bit that is the same diameter as the mounting screw core (not including the threads). Use some masking tape to mark out the required depth on the drill bit. Some people use a bit of wax or similar on the screw thread to avoid bi ding and stripping. If you get the pilot hole d imager right this isn’t really necessary.

This is definitely a job you can do yourself unless you’re particularly heavy-handed!
Old 09-22-2019, 08:05 PM

BE CAREFUL!! Those tuners in your link 'here on stewmac' are for a solid headstock NOT a slotted headstock!!

Slot-head tuners have the string hole in the middle of the string post like this and no push-fit bushing.
Here's a stewmac link to the tuners you need https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and..._Machines.html

Here's what happens if you try to fit solid head tuners to a slot head guitar!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 09-22-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:09 AM

That photo pours sugar in my gas tank...
Old 09-23-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
That photo pours sugar in my gas tank...
I saw it on a guitar listed on ebay and just had to save it for future reference.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-09-2019, 09:25 AM

oh nevermind. i successfully installed some knock-off waverley copies i scored on ebay for £15 today. they're still a fine cosmetic upgrade for my slotted-headstock parlor.

Last edited by cryingnook; 10-09-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryingnook View Post
i don't believe it. today, just now, drilling new pilot holes, the drill bit has snapped inside of the guitar headstock and is jammed. how on earth am i supposed to pry it back out? i want to cry. my poor guitar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Learning a new skill on a guitar is really playing in the street. Better to bring the project to OP's friendly neighborhood luthier and pay the bill....
Now is the time to take it to your friendly neighbourhood luthier and pay the bill.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
BE CAREFUL!! Those tuners in your link 'here on stewmac' are for a solid headstock NOT a slotted headstock!!

Slot-head tuners have the string hole in the middle of the string post like this and no push-fit bushing.
Here's a stewmac link to the tuners you need https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and..._Machines.html

Here's what happens if you try to fit solid head tuners to a slot head guitar!

I'm blushing as I type this buy I once made the mistake of buying slothead Grover Sta Tites once upon a time when I needed the solid headstock type.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:56 AM

i actually got on fine with this, except from failing to depth stop properly for a couple of pilot holes and drilling right through the headstock, haha. it's a small cosmetic fee to pay for my first DIY guitar project, and i really don't mind. the tuners i've installed are hot garbage knock off waverlys, but it's been a fun afternoon and i've learned a few lessons...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair