The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-20-2019, 01:57 AM

Default Looking at buying my first CF. Good used options?

Hi all,
I still love my Strats, but like many middle-aged wannabe rockers, I find myself unplugging more often. I’ve had several decent acoustics over the years, but would finally like to get a nice one. Living on the Gulf Coast means that it’s usually hot and humid outside, and cold and dry inside. I’ve decided a CF guitar is the best bet for my climate, playing needs, and lifestyle. I’m hoping y’all can help me narrow down my choices!

I prefer to buy used, and my budget is ~$1,500; obviously I’d rather have the under than the over. If there’s not a used model that fits me, I’m able to go up a bit and get a new guitar, but that’s not my first choice.

I mostly strum with a pick, and I don’t fingerpick at all. I tend to play acoustic a lot like electric, with power chords, palm muting, etc.

I do a fair amount of acoustic jamming with friends, so I need something loud enough to hang. Average volume should be sufficient; something along the lines of a Taylor Grand Auditorium (e.g., 314) is loud enough.

I don’t need amazing amplified tone, but I would like something better than the piezo in my ‘90s Yamaha. I don’t play with much stage volume, so maybe a inboard mic would work?

I’d like a tuner, but that’s by no means a deal breaker.

I have smallish hands, so I prefer smaller necks.

Due to my physiology and playing style, my right forearm takes a lot of abuse from the edge of the guitar. I’d like an arm contour. I could conceivably just get a thinner guitar, but I worry about the effect on volume.

I need access to the 21st fret, so any standard cutaway should be fine.

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions, or insight would be hugely appreciated!

Last edited by Edge_of_the_Wal; 11-20-2019 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

First of all, welcome to AGF. I hope that you find it a good place to gather and contribute information. If the arm rest is real important, you're probably going to want an Emerald X20 or X30 but getting a used one for $1500 may be problematic. I don't think there's a more comfortable guitar, either wooden or carbon fiber, than an Emerald. Here's one https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=562857 from our Classified section which is above your price range, but it's sort of local to you so who knows what a hand-to-hand cash purchase what may be worth to the seller. Another option is to get a Rainsong WS and purchase an aftermarket armrest. I usually suggest a Rainsong dread H-DR but they don't have a cutaway. The WS is a fairly deep guitar at 5" but it has a great tone. There are other CF guitar makers with whom I'm not familiar as you can see from my signature. Good luck with your search and again welcome to AGF....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

I couldn't help think X20 while reading your desires....I think if you are patient the $1500. may be real close to doable. And welcome to the forum....

Last edited by jdinco; 11-20-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:33 AM

Both of my CF guitars were preowned, both purchased here on the AGF.

I assume you saw this one:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=562814
Old 11-20-2019, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

An X20 was my first thought, too. Good volume, great playability, and so comfortable to play. That one on the AGF classifieds is a bit over your budget, but might be worth bumping up what you're willing to invest. Good luck with the search.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:15 AM

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=551205

and since this one's from music123 you can easily return it
https://reverb.com/item/27787799-rai...guitar-regular

or
https://reverb.com/item/29757165-rai...raphite-guitar

Welcome and good luck!
Old 11-20-2019, 11:11 AM

Welcome... where on/in this planet do you reside? If I may ask... though I just did anyway.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-20-2019, 07:15 PM
Guest 928

Wow! Song points to an incredible guitar at an incredible price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber