The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-21-2004, 12:28 PM

Default Improv?

anyone have tips on how to learn to improv? i can sorta.. its mostly just trial and error.. like an 'i hope this note sounds good' type of deal. tips?
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition
200? G&L Tribute Legacy
Old 02-21-2004, 02:15 PM

Default Improv

A good working knowledge of the fretboard is a good beginning. I don't think one has to be a theory wizard to play nice passages. I usually start with the melody and take it from there. If you know where the next note is located on the fretboard when you hear it in your head, you are getting there. I honestly couldn't tell you if I was playing a flatted 3rd or a diminished 5th when I hit the notes I choose. I have a pretty good ear and tend to be a more melodic player than a technical one. As it is said, practice, practice, etc. After a while you will intuitively know where that next note is located as you hear it in your head. Then it becomes a building process. Phrases you have learned can be put together, modified, added to, as you play along. It is a cummulative process. It takes time. Also, practice scales. Not only are they the musical encyclopedia you draw from, but they are a great way to warm up your fingers before a practice session. It hard to explain the art of improv. If it feels good to your inner ear, it probably sounds good too. Go for it.

2005 American Telecaster
2003 American Strat
2004 Les Paul Classic
2003 914c LTD L1 Venetian
2003 914c LTD L2 Florentine
Michael Kelly Legacy Deluxe Mandolin
Home studio built around a Tascam 2488
Old 02-21-2004, 06:05 PM

It depends on what style of music you are looking to improv to. The Blues is by far the easiest IMO. Do you have my PDF on the CAGED system w/ a detailed explanation? If not send me an email:

[email protected]

Other than that, I'm going to ask....can you read music? If yes, then you can pick up the BOP DUETS VOL 1,2,3 by Bugs Bower. Learn the duets w/ the chord changes. It will give you a great foundation to know how to play melodies over chord changes.

Trial and error only gets you so far and is for the most part a futile effort. Get some basic music theory under your belt, understand how chords are made up. Learn some scales in MAJOR, MINOR, HARMONIC MINOR, different MODES (Mixolydian, Locrian.....etc). Arpeggiate the scales (play every other note). Practice chromatic movement. Arpeggiated chromatics. Man I can sit here for days just listing what is required.

There just is no magic pill kind of answer. This seems to be the most asked question w/ many newer players and for the most part the straightforward answer is practice, practice, practice. I personally think that is a very nebulous answer w/out an explanation as to what to practice but the truth is, you do need to sit down and do the "boring" stuff. If not you can just join the ranks of tabbers and be forever clueless.

Last edited by Ninjato; 02-21-2004 at 10:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:01 PM

Shane: check your mail
Old 02-21-2004, 07:19 PM

thanks, i had read stuff about CAGED but i never understood it til that email
2005 Gibson Les Paul Standard Limited Edition
200? G&L Tribute Legacy
Old 02-21-2004, 11:12 PM

Practice scales, practice arpeggios, practice interval exercises. Noodle- A LOT!
Old 02-22-2004, 11:48 AM

hey Ninjato

I got your .pdf a long time ago, but have just recently started going through it. (because we went over the CAGED system in my theory class)

I got pages 15 and 17, plus several other sheets.....

just wondering if there was supposed to be other pages in the .pdf titled "CAGED system"

if not, no problem.

and thanks again for sharing.

OH, BTW....got your Grateful Dead mp3......AWESOME!!!!

'02 314ce-LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Poor
pipsqueak for President. The choice is clear.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all. ~ Michelangelo ~ (1474-1564, Italian Renaissance Painter, Sculptor) "
Old 02-22-2004, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pipsqueak
hey Ninjato

I got your .pdf a long time ago, but have just recently started going through it. (because we went over the CAGED system in my theory class)

I got pages 15 and 17, plus several other sheets.....

just wondering if there was supposed to be other pages in the .pdf titled "CAGED system"

if not, no problem.

and thanks again for sharing.

OH, BTW....got your Grateful Dead mp3......AWESOME!!!!
I photocopied those pages from FRETBOARD LOGIC VOL2 by Bill Edwards. The reason I didn't do more was that I found the book to be very redundant. Good info in the book but I was disapointed in amount of info. Those 2 pages and my email detailed the whole thing in one easy shot. Of course for those of us that already play somewhat it is easier to comprehend. Some need the over-elaboration but is was annoying to me. Other things he showed in the book is nice but it seemed impractical from a musical POV. Then he goes to VOL3 which he ends up using real musical notation to explain and never prepared the reader for it in VOL 1 or 2.

Thanks for the compliment on Franklins Tower. BTW the solos were all done in the F# minor or A Major CAGED boxes. Of course I threw in many passing tones in there. Works out real nice. That is not my voice though. It is my friends....I jumped in here and there for back up vocals. I have no idea why but I get tongue tied trying to sing that song. I definitely cannot do it live. I would lose my timing trying to sing and play that song for some reason. Now Fire On the Mountain I can do no problem. Weird huh?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell