The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post
...the only system issue is with the K&K trinity.
Hi hann...
I think that remains to be seen, and I think it might hold true for any passive dual source with a phantom powered mic and pickup.

My tech will take a look at mine and we will see how we get it working and will report back to the group.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-25-2009, 12:17 PM

oh.. yeah i meant any setup similar to the trinity.. =)
Old 09-25-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercat View Post
Hi Jackso,

Anyway, I also fitted a Pick Up The World "Quackbuster" ( http://pick-uptheworld.com/acoustic.htm - scroll to very bottom of page) to this guitar, wired directly to the Wavelength on the internal preamp, and it noticeably reduces the volume (as well as all harshness and "quack", while thickening up the tone) of the Wavelength when it is switched in - mine is a newer model with a two-way toggle thumb switch, which I have mounted just out of sight inside the sound hole next to the volume and tone module.

I understand the Volume & Tone module is now also available separately as an add-on if you are interested - see here -

EDIT - Jackso - If your Wavelength is from mid-2007 or later, the V&T will just plug into it without the need for soldering etc. - See the fitting instructions here (PDF) : -

I find it very useful as sometimes - when playing in a venue with crappy house gear &/or 'dirty power' - I can't use the Quackbuster without a lot of noise, so I switch it out, & use the V & T controls to tame any excess volume & harshness. It's not as good as using the Quackbuster, but it sure helps a lot.

Will let you know how it all works out when the EDB-1 arrives....
Hey Cybercat.
I acyuall had a V/T module and was going to solderit, but I was using an M1 in the guitar as well at the same time and couldnt find anywhere good to mount it.
I was also going to install a Quackbuster but decided to wire a JJB 330 to the 2nd source instead then I can blend them as 2. It really sounds good with these 2 sources mixed together and I can still use a feedback buster if I need to.
If the quackbuster cuts the signal and you have the V/T module I bet it will work great.
Im gonna find a volume pot and solder that to the wavelength preamp..

This may be the never ending thread..............

Jasko
Taylor 110 w/ Dtar Wavelength & JJB 330
Blueridge BR-361
S.Yairi 1978 Rosewood/ Spruce Classical

1 Tiny Baby All Solid KOA Tennor UKE w/ Shadow UST
Old 09-27-2009, 12:58 PM

Just chiming in here...

I'd be really interested to see the outcome of this test as well: had been considering a Headway.

I've got a Trinity setup, but mainly do rhythm, and wonder if it would be worth it for me...

Joe

Patrick James Eggle Kanuga (K&K Trinity system)
Simon & Patrick SP6 (JJB Electronics Prestige 330)

Electric stuff

Fender MIJ 1993 Jerry Donahue Telecaster
Fender MIJ 1989 Stratocaster
G&L ASAT (1992)
Epiphone Riviera (1996)
Matamp 1224
Orange AD30

+ too many effects
Old 09-30-2009, 08:55 AM

no updates? =(
Old 09-30-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
no updates? =(
Ask Jasko, he made the cable? I ripped out my trinity system in favor of the mini's and Headway UST....haven't installed the UST yet though.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:06 AM

jasko's trial didn't work.. maybe he can expound more about it here..

Larry'll prob get the same result since he's doing it the same way no?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:

He has a tech making it and troubleshooting as they go along, we'll see.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:

Hey all,
hopefully Larry has more success than me, I haven't had a heap of time to fool around with it.

Jamison,
let us know what the Headway UST sounds like, im very interested to hear your thoughts.

Jasko
Taylor 110 w/ Dtar Wavelength & JJB 330
Blueridge BR-361
S.Yairi 1978 Rosewood/ Spruce Classical

1 Tiny Baby All Solid KOA Tennor UKE w/ Shadow UST
Old 09-30-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskofall View Post
Jamison,
let us know what the Headway UST sounds like, im very interested to hear your thoughts.

Jasko
Will do, it'll be at least 2 weeks or so. I am slammed right now with side work and a new weekly gig.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Default The Tech and I...

Hi all...
Cable arrived, and hopefully the tech and I get together tomorrow evening (10/05/09) to figure this thing out and wire it if possible to work with my guitars...

Plan A is to wire a unique cable so the Headway will work with an unaltered guitar. Plan B would be to rewire the guitar to work with the Headway.

Thanks for posting your own efforts - good and bad.

We are specifically adapting it or my guitar to get a K&K Pure western mini with a Silver Bullet mic (also K&K) to work.

I'll sure report on what we find and provide pics as possible (I'm hauling preamp, guitar, cameras all with me).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-04-2009, 03:43 PM

OK, this thread is a little dense but I read it twice (well, not everything twice, but there are only so many hours in the day).

I'll state what I think I hear everyone saying and anyone can chip in and correct me:

1) The preamp is versatile but cannot handle a pickup/ internal mic with a single cable. Basically, you run two cables -- mono from your K&K (or other passive pickup) and XLR from your external mic -- and sum the sources with a single EQ.

2) You might be able to rewire your guitar to power an internal mic (but that's more hassle than 90% of the guitarists are willing to do -- unless the sonic improvement is a quantum leap forward).

3) The simplest solution -- as proposed -- would be a single cable that splits so that separate inputs can go into the preamp -- one to carry the passive input's signal and the other to carry and power an internal mic.

I'm not an engineer -- train or otherwise -- so here are the questions:

1) If channel 1's phantom power is disconnected when a mono cable is inserted, how come you can't split the cable into a 1/4" mono and an XLR and use the two outside inputs?

(I don't know much about matching impedance and the possibility of frying equipment with the wrong phantom voltage, so it's just a layman's suggestion -- and open to a quick bodyslam).

2) I understand Headway's commitment to a better way, but wouldn't it be in their interest to come up with a cable themselves that would be compatible with 90% of the dual source rigs in the meantime -- and sell a lot of these units?

geokie8
Old 10-04-2009, 11:57 PM

Don't over analyse things here. John writes in the Headway manual about the EDB-1 specifically NOT being made to accomodate internal mics. He does not like them, period. If the cable we are trying to make works, it works. If it doesn't, oh well, we tried.

Headway believes (and I've seen reviews) that their UST is the best pickup on the market and obviously want folks to use their pickup in unison with the EDB-1, so they are not inclined to re-vamp or offer any "special cable" to work with all the various pickups and mics, etc. on the market. It's not so much a universal preamp like the Baggs, it's a specific preamp to enhance the Headway product line.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:31 AM

Hi jamison,

On the subject of the Headway UST, I hope you'll be offering an opinion once you've installed it and tested it out.

I already have one of my guitars fitted with a co-axial pickup system, so it would be a simple upgrade if the Headway UST system is as special (low noise, no unwanted "presence" peak, even harmonics added for high end "sparkle") as the Headway honcho claims and a few noteable pickers seem to believe.

Gary
Old 10-05-2009, 07:03 AM

I was trying to read through the install instructions just to make sure I don't miss anything last ight - and I fell asleep. There's a lot to read on a tiny fold out brochure with a text about this size. I'll get to it one of these days, hehehehe.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification