The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-24-2022, 05:16 PM

Default question about nux's ir resolution

resolution...or whatever it's called. I have a NUx Mighty Plug with some acoustic ir's, I think mostly meant to make electric guitars sound acoustic but can be used to make fishman sonitones sound acceptable in the studio. The problem with the Mighty Plug is that the sustain breaks up, so it sounds ok if it keeps being fed notes but if you want it to ring sustain, it sounds horrible. Is this the sample rate or what? Any way to make it better? It's the same whether it's thru the headphones or the usb. Does the Nux Optima Air behave the same...or is it better than the Mighty Plug? It's not the Pro btw. Perhaps the Pro is better than the original? Thanks/k
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 10-24-2022, 05:25 PM

An IR for equalization, acoustic pickup to mic, or electric guitar cabinet, is very short, on the order of 10 to 40 milliseconds. Anything you perceive as a sustained note is dramatically longer than the tail of an IR.

My guess is they've cooked some compression into the patch and you are hearing it release.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-25-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
An IR for equalization, acoustic pickup to mic, or electric guitar cabinet, is very short, on the order of 10 to 40 milliseconds. Anything you perceive as a sustained note is dramatically longer than the tail of an IR.

My guess is they've cooked some compression into the patch and you are hearing it release.
then I don't get ir's...cause sustain is the reason for using an acoustic guitar. If you can't hit a string, let it sing until it's done, then ir's are useless...to me. I can't believe the bigger budget ir boxes have this limitation.
ps...I think it's related to what kind of pickup the ir is modifying. Mags do better than piezos. Esp ust's.
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp

Last edited by kurth; 10-26-2022 at 07:40 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification