The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-17-2000, 12:52 PM

Post Anybody Try a Chris Protor Signature?

We've seen comments on many of the others, I was just wondering about this guitar and if anyone has seen it/played it. I saw Chris at Mars in Austin and I would rate him the best Taylor clinician I have seen. (Doyle may be a flashier player but he doesn't really give a clinic as much as present a show)

George Wilson
Old 01-27-2001, 09:55 PM

Hey George, I went to Mars today and there was a Chris Proctor. First time I have seen one. I would have loved to try it out under different circumstances.....

I got the opportunity to try it by myself for a few minutes. First impressions...THIS GUITAR IS AWESOME! I found the 1 7/8s neck to be very comfortable, classical players will love this axe. String separation was awesome and great overtones throughout. Superb player. There's something about a guitar with no fret inlay that is really sharp, I really dug it!

Anyway, I was doing great by myself until a gentleman came in the room and felt compelled to pull down a jumbo 12 string maple Guild. From the moment this guy sat down he laid into this thing like I couldn’t believe. Now I know that Guilds are built like tanks and this one was no exception. It was so loud I thought he was making dents in the wall. I was not about to compete so I put down the CP model and waited for him to finish hoping he couldn’t keep this up. I thought I saw the guild raise a little white flag begging for him to stop and then it started High E …pop… A…..pop…. This guy was murdering this guitar, breaking strings and didn’t bat an eyelash. Finally his piece was over (Thank God!) and he put the guitar down and walked out the door, strings falling off and all.

I started to play it again when a group of kids came in and started their gig, I guess they had the 4 O'clock set today in the acoustic room

Anyway, I hope to go back and play it again in some peace to really hear it. This guitar is a player and Mars is.....well...Mars

Old 02-14-2001, 04:14 AM
pvolan

Regarding the new CPSM Taylor (Chris Proctor model), I just bought one #84 of 100. I must say I am very surprised and delighted. The 1 7/8' neck and wider string spacing should be the norm for fingertstyle guitars. Infinitely better accuracy, less string noise caused by nails or picks. The pickup system is very good although needs some tweaking. Too bad only 100 made!

I am waiting for Taylor to build a 12-fret cutaway with a shorter scale (24.9') and a regular scale. I love the sound of 12-frets. Try a Collings 0002H for starters. I think Taylor is missing a big opportunity here.

Phil
Old 02-15-2001, 08:54 PM

Hmmmmm....a 12 fret slot head.....That would be very cool!! I never thought about a 12 fret Taylor. Interesting!

Enjoy your new Guitar Phil, you picked a great one!
Old 02-24-2001, 11:09 AM

Wink

Yup.....just took delivery of my CPSM..number 92/100. Elegant, simple, great sound. Didn't think I'd like the 1 7/8" neck, but it's perfect for fingerstyle!
Old 03-10-2001, 08:08 PM

Question

I had the chance to play of these fine guitars. It is a beautiful instrument but a little too conservative for me. The individual note clearity was excellent. I thought it was thin on the chords. Definetly a fingerstyle friendly instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification