The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-21-2023, 09:18 PM

Default bass guitar through qsc cp212

I play in a duo, acoustic guitar and bass. Does any one have any experience playing a bass through a MSc cp212 or a Mackie 210 v series speakers.
We mostly play outdoors at markets or indoor in a hall.
Old 12-21-2023, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retep View Post
I play in a duo, acoustic guitar and bass. Does any one have any experience playing a bass through a MSc cp212 or a Mackie 210 v series speakers.
I'd think your 12s would be OK as long as you weren't pushing the volume. Try it and see. I use a Fender Rumble 100 for outdoor gigs occasionally and it is fine for mid-level volume. I love the light weight and portability of my Rumble 100 and it sounds great.
Old 12-22-2023, 05:08 AM

My nephew played a 5 string bass for our worship team band. We used powered 12" speakers. It sounded good. When we got a sub, even just a 12" sub, the sound was better. The frequency response of the speakers I used was 55hz on the low end. I'm sure the sub's was lower and you could tell.

The specs on the Mackies show a lower frequency response. I'd A/B them against the QSCs if you can with a bass.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 12-22-2023 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-22-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I don't know that amp or its speakers, but in general a guitar speaker is not made to reproduce the much lower frequencies of a bass, and so you could blow your speakers out if you're not careful.

It's safe to go the other way, though.

Ah... never mind, you are talking about PA stuff. Those would hold up better than guitar amplification. I need to drink more coffee.
Old 12-22-2023, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi retep
My gigging partner and I have played through about every 12" 2 way speaker system in existence (bass direct in or through a SansAMP interface), and they ALL work well for bass and acoustic. They work well with synths too (which produce far lower frequencies than a bass guitar).

Actually the 8" two way QSC work great too.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-22-2023, 02:03 PM

I used the original QSC K12 with a bass guitar and it sounded more than adequate.
Old 12-23-2023, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi retep
My gigging partner and I have played through about every 12" 2 way speaker system in existence (bass direct in or through a SansAMP interface), and they ALL work well for bass and acoustic. They work well with synths too (which produce far lower frequencies than a bass guitar).

Actually the 8" two way QSC work great too.

Is the 8"also good for vocals?
Old 12-23-2023, 02:19 PM

I have gigged on bass plugging directly into a K8 (also a K10), along with a wide variety of proper bass rigs. While a PA cab doesn't present the mids the way I like, it works fine and no magic smoke appears as long as you keep the volume reasonable.

K8 worked fine for vocals IME.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 12-24-2023, 08:32 PM

thank you all for your advice

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification