The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2023, 01:03 PM

Although not on your list, you might want to check out the 717 Builders Edition Grand Pacific. I recently purchased one and coming from a Martin dread, the Grand Pacific despite the physical measurements being similar, feels smaller and more comfortable to me. The lower bout width is comparable but the Taylor depth at the heel is 4 5/8' where the Martin is 4 7/8". I've been quite surprised that a quarter inch feels so different, especially when playing seated.

In addition, the Taylor Builders Edition guitars come with rounded off edges so the guitar doesn't cut into your strumming arm, and the fretboard also comes rounded, adding to the overall comfort. As you probably already know, Taylor necks are terrific and the Builders Edition use what they call a compound carve, subtle V at the nut transitioning to more of a C shape going up the neck. I have small fingers and at age 70, diminishing strength in my fretting hand, but my playing is cleaner on that Taylor neck.

Sound wise, I found the Grand Pacific to be a bit fuller sounding and warmer than a comparable Grand Auditorium I also tested out, and I found it to be a better strummer. For primarily finger style, I would probably still opt for one of the Grand Auditoriums on your list, but if you are looking for an aa-arounder as I was, the Grand Pacific really ticked all my boxes. Well, except for the ES-2 pickup which I find sounds plasticky. But I purchased mine used and just so happened to find a 717 without pickup at The Music Emporium.

One last thing, if you get a modern "V" class Taylor, the K&K pick up, which has been my usual choice, is not a good fit due to the placement of the V bracing. The tech at The Music Emporium thinks the new LR Baggs Hifi will be a better choice, he is waiting on delivery and then will test it out on a Martin and a Taylor to confirm.
Old 08-20-2023, 12:23 PM

Default Taylor 810 Be

I have a Taylor 810Be, that I bought on ebay years ago. The first surprise I had when I called Taylor Guitars to inquire about getting an ES system installed was It had a transferable warranty. I shipped it to El Cajon to get the sound system installed. It took a couple of weeks longer than I was told. I called them to ask why and was told they were building a new neck for it. But, don't worry, it's covered under your warranty. Recently, I drove it down to the factory bc the finish was separating from the body around the neck and the end pin where they had installed the battery drawer that was installed with the ES in 2007. They completely stripped the finish and refinished the entire body. No charge. I had them reset the neck, replace the first seven frets, the nut and saddle. The guitar is like brand new, plays n sounds incredible. But, the most notable thing is how great Taylor's customer service is. And everyone I've talked with was just super nice n helpful. This is one of the finest guitars I've ever played. It's one of less than 100 made in 2000, Legends of the Fall models and is worth perhaps near $10,000.
Old 08-20-2023, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

As a Taylor owner since 2006, and having had many models and wood combinations, let me recommend looking for a used, good-condition, 2015 to 2017 Taylor 614ce. It does Spruce/Maple as you've never heard it before.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-20-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2023, 01:06 PM

Default Taylor 810 Be

I have a Taylor 810Be, that I bought on ebay years ago. The first surprise I had when I called Taylor Guitars to inquire about getting an ES system installed was It had a transferable warranty. I shipped it to El Cajon to get the sound system installed. It took a couple of weeks longer than I was told. I called them to ask why and was told they were building a new neck for it. But, don't worry, it's covered under your warranty. Recently, I drove it down to the factory bc the finish was separating from the body around the neck and the end pin where they had installed the battery drawer that was installed with the ES in 2007. They completely stripped the finish and refinished the entire body. No charge. I had them reset the neck, replace the first seven frets, the nut and saddle. The guitar is like brand new, plays n sounds incredible. But, the most notable thing is how great Taylor's customer service is. And everyone I've talked with was just super nice n helpful. This is one of the finest guitars I've ever played. It's one of less than 100 made in 2000, Legends of the Fall models and is worth perhaps near $10,000.
Old 08-20-2023, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

The only way to buy is to try. Only if you played a model you really liked would I order one online. And just for giggles, play a Martin 000 18.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-20-2023, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekie View Post
Although not on your list, you might want to check out the 717 Builders Edition Grand Pacific. I recently purchased one and coming from a Martin dread, the Grand Pacific despite the physical measurements being similar, feels smaller and more comfortable to me. The lower bout width is comparable but the Taylor depth at the heel is 4 5/8' where the Martin is 4 7/8". I've been quite surprised that a quarter inch feels so different, especially when playing seated.

In addition, the Taylor Builders Edition guitars come with rounded off edges so the guitar doesn't cut into your strumming arm, and the fretboard also comes rounded, adding to the overall comfort. As you probably already know, Taylor necks are terrific and the Builders Edition use what they call a compound carve, subtle V at the nut transitioning to more of a C shape going up the neck. I have small fingers and at age 70, diminishing strength in my fretting hand, but my playing is cleaner on that Taylor neck.

Sound wise, I found the Grand Pacific to be a bit fuller sounding and warmer than a comparable Grand Auditorium I also tested out, and I found it to be a better strummer. For primarily finger style, I would probably still opt for one of the Grand Auditoriums on your list, but if you are looking for an aa-arounder as I was, the Grand Pacific really ticked all my boxes. Well, except for the ES-2 pickup which I find sounds plasticky. But I purchased mine used and just so happened to find a 717 without pickup at The Music Emporium.

One last thing, if you get a modern "V" class Taylor, the K&K pick up, which has been my usual choice, is not a good fit due to the placement of the V bracing. The tech at The Music Emporium thinks the new LR Baggs Hifi will be a better choice, he is waiting on delivery and then will test it out on a Martin and a Taylor to confirm.
Agreed, and if the OP's within a few hours of Atlanta s/he's welcome to demo my 517 (since most of the potentials are in the mahogany/sapele vein).

I might push back a bit that if we're to insist that it's the individual instrument and not the woods themselves, that a model-oriented approach will be less effective than what several here have already encouraged: just get out and play until one commands your attention.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
taylor