The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-17-2001, 01:04 AM

Post Latches

Ok, I have finally found something that I want to gripe about regarding Taylor guitars. Well, not the guitars. But the cases. I have 6 other Taylor cases and they're all mighty fine. But now they seem to have changed the latch style (and quality). In my opinion, they are cheap feeling and looking. If Bob is reading this, then "Bob, please spend the extra dollar or whatever it might be and go back to the other latches. These things are horrible." Maybe I'm the only one who noticed or cares, but for the price of these guitars (any Taylor is pricey, but worth it, nonetheless), I think we deserve a little nicer latch like you had been using. Then again, maybe it's the snow here and I'm just grumpy. Nah, please go back to the heavier duty latches. That shows quality. Thanks.
dc
Old 02-17-2001, 08:33 AM

I've always hoped they would change the style of latch.
One time I brought out case and guitar into my living room to play. After opening the case and playing awhile it was time for a glass of water. I walked too close to the case with the latches poking out and sliced the top of my foot. About 3" worth. Blood and pain. You bet I said some choice words. You'd have thought I would have learned -- I have done that before!
Old 03-03-2001, 02:32 AM

Cool

Well, I guess I'm the only one who really cares about this, but I'm gonna type anyway. I talked to Taylor this week about those smaller, lighter latches - the ones I complained about. Apparently, some customers have complained that Taylor cases are TOO HEAVY. So, they went to a lighter weight latch. Oh Please... convince me how that latch helps.... at any rate, the more interesting thing I heard was that y'all should enjoy those plush marroon internals to your cases while you have them, cause it's about to end. Taylor's supplier (who also supplies PRS), can't keep up, so they're switching to black fur. Oh man. Guess we'll see how that looks when it comes out. I'll be quiet about the latches now. Doesn't seem like such a big issue anymore.
Old 03-03-2001, 08:09 AM

Didn't they learn the first time about the black fur? Can't they find another supplier? Or a different supplier with something a bit closer than fuzz?
I have some of the black fuzzy interior cases from the last time they tried to switch. Looks nice and Tayloresque on the outside, but inside -- ick! Cheap is the word that comes to mind. Even the green crushed velvet stuff that Martin uses would be better than the black.
Do you know how many of those black fibers I have to brush off the guitar when I pick it up? Then how many are getting inside? When will it stop "shedding"?
I have an older Taylor that has smaller case latches. Seems to stay together fine, but I agree it looks/feels kinda cheap. The smaller latch isn't going to make that much difference in weight.
Dennis, if you want a pic of the black fuzz, just let me know!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification