The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-16-2021, 05:25 PM

A really cool after retirement job- Auto lease return inspector.
When your automobile lease is ending I was the fellow to assess the wear and tear on the car. Some cars were perfect, some were beat to death. Easy gig, pretty good money for a forty hour week. Some overtime now and then. Monday through Friday. Spring, summer fall are wonderful. Winters are the rough part.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:45 AM

People always say to do what you love and the money will follow. So, I'm working as a personal chef, couch tester, and televised sports commentator. I figure the money will start rolling in any day now.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
People always say to do what you love and the money will follow. So, I'm working as a personal chef, couch tester, and televised sports commentator. I figure the money will start rolling in any day now.
Thanks for my chuckle of the day....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-17-2021, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

I have a cousin that drives new cars from dealership to dealership. That's how cars that you purchase with just the right color and options gets to your dealer when they didn't have one in stock.

I met a guy that used to drive campers from dealership to dealership across the country. He was able to sleep in the campers as long as he didn't leave a trace.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-17-2021, 10:17 AM

I'm coming up on 74, a retired college admissions director. Right after retiring from campus based work, I started my own consulting business in the field which I handled for about 13 years part-time. I enjoyed working with families and their young high school/college bound kids and helping them navigate both the admissions and financial aid process.
Even prior to retirement, I worked part-time seasonally as a marine launch operator in our harbor ferrying folks to and from their vessels as they visited our part of the world. Got my license 20 years ago and have really enjoyed the work and the many folks and friends from around the region and the world that I've come to know. Because this is a physical job, and very physical in tough weather, it's given me something to work toward in the off season with staying in shape in preparation for starting again each May. A few more years and I'll call it a career!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-17-2021, 11:38 AM

I am getting better at cooking for my wife. I get paid in satisfaction, kisses, and companionship.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I have a cousin that drives new cars from dealership to dealership. That's how cars that you purchase with just the right color and options gets to your dealer when they didn't have one in stock...
AKA "DX." FWIW I've been known to get substantially better treatment (and possibly better prices) when slipping "DX" into the conversation with car sales people...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-17-2021, 05:29 PM

I’ll be retiring from teaching just before turning 67 this summer. Been a great job but education is a different world than when I began doing it in the 90’s. Been giving some thought to what I might want to do afterwards. I’m thinking of either being an Instagram influencer, a life coach, or an underwear model.

In reality, I’ll probably take classes just for fun at the university or community college, or after my wife retires in a few years just do a little traveling.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:04 PM

I retired from medicine and medical education at 58. Now I teach high school health sciences. I’ll do this till 65 I think. Then be out for good.
Martin D-16e
Goldtone CCR100 Banjo
Fender Albert Hammond Jr. Strat
Fender Player limited edition Cherry Burst Strat
Fender Squire Classic Vibe Tele
Old 01-17-2021, 07:38 PM

well it sounds like you folks are happy with retirement life! i sure hope it works out for myself and the fam.i just don't like being alone in the house during the work week , it doesn't feel right. After working for sooo long ;it's almost like "getting thrown to the wolves". you are working one day ,the next day you're staring at the walls. Need a plan for sure!
Old 01-19-2021, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
well it sounds like you folks are happy with retirement life! i sure hope it works out for myself and the fam.i just don't like being alone in the house during the work week , it doesn't feel right. After working for sooo long ;it's almost like "getting thrown to the wolves". you are working one day ,the next day you're staring at the walls. Need a plan for sure!
I hope it works out for you too. If you don't have a retirement job yet, volunteer somewhere. It might be a little more difficult to do right now, but it'll improve. Find something to help your community or local children or anyone in need.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:27 PM

Cultivate all the hobbies and activities that you can. Every one of my older friends who had no life outside of work suffered during retirement from their all-consuming careers. Those that had several independent interests, social circles, and hobbies are all doing just fine. I'm 61 and plan to work for 2½ more years (roughly) but I'm already coasting at about half-time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic