The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-14-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant75 View Post
Yep, I’ve just put down another deposit for a model S
Mon Dieu!

Your sig says you already have a L on order so does that mean you'll collect the full Sands set?!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 01-14-2021, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Ahah haven't reached that stage of madness yet.

This is an outdated signature, which I actually added when I just ordered this guitar. Thanks for providing the incentive

The S is confirmed though, sometimes in 2022.
Cheers,
Old 01-31-2021, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Default Recording of Dragon's Back by Will McNicol

Hi everyone,

It's been now a month and I am pleased to report that the honeymoon is still going strong. The guitar feels more open as I'm putting the hours, most notably trebles up the neck.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, I bought one Gefell M300 and I've been experiencing with mono recording in Reaper. Below is what I've come up with: a tune from Will McNicol called Dragon's Back. It's a really nice piece with interesting textures and dynamics, which is well suited to demonstrate a guitar's tonal properties. Still some approximations here and there, but I managed to get through it so here you go:

No EQ or reverb have been added. I don't do it well, thus it always sounds somewhat "artificial" to me.
For the recording experts out there, interested about getting some feedback.
Thanks!

Last edited by Vaillant75; 01-31-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful Tom! I think Michael Watts uses the Gefell as well.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Sounds wonderful--nicely done!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 02-01-2021, 01:14 PM

It's great to hear these things played properly at the conclusion of these build threads, so well done!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-01-2021, 02:34 PM

Sounds great Thomas, clarity and dynamics are spot on. Superb !

Jonny
Old 02-02-2021, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

Thanks guys.
I realized that I put the mic way to close to the guitar, resulting in quite a bit of compression... We live and learn! I will keep experimenting and will post another recording in the near future.

Cheers,
Old 02-02-2021, 05:11 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Sounds amazing! Well done.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Default My first stereo recording - The Sleeping Tune

Hi everyone,

This thread is quickly derailing towards my recording journey, but I figured it could be interesting to track the build up from the (basic) Iphone recordings I first shared upon reception of the guitar.

I just took delivery of my second M300 (non matched pair bought separately on the used market), and this is my first ever stereo recording. I've been told it would "open" the sound considerably compared to mono, but I wasn't expecting such a drastic change. I am really happy I took the plunge because the outcome is quite motivating, and closing in on what I had in my head.

This tune should be familiar to most of you, and it is a favorite of mine. That time around I play it without capo, with a few imperfections along the way. But I am satisfied enough to share with you all, and hopefully gather feedback from the recording experts out there. This goes into Apogee into Reaper, and I haven't added any EQ or reverb.

You might also notice the guitar's tone improvement, especially the trebles that sound more full and resonant. There is also that sweetness that Steve mentioned earlier from Will's recordings. Small caveat, I know it's not an apple to apple comparison since I was recording on an Iphone and doing string experimentation.. But still noticeable for me.
In any case, one month in I am just over the moon with the tone. I will experiment with mic placement and might post a couple more tunes in the weeks to come.

As always, thanks for taking the time to listen. I know videos are more engaging, but I still don't know how to do it

Cheers,

Last edited by Vaillant75; 02-15-2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-15-2021, 04:35 PM

Thanks for sharing so much of the journey. The playing sounds great to me, very tasteful. The guitar is pretty special too.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:39 AM
Charter Member

Default BRAVO !!

Thomas, the playing, guitar and recording all sound excellent !!!

All the changes - the second mic, placing them a bit further away from the guitar, different strings - have made a HUGE impact on the end result. I'm amazed at how much progress you've made and how much your new guitar has sweetened up over the past few weeks.

Bravo, mon ami !!
Old 02-17-2021, 03:38 AM

Beautiful playing Tom - the guitar is sounding great too. That's a great piece to show it off.

Jonny
Old 02-19-2021, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Smile Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Thomas, the playing, guitar and recording all sound excellent !!!

All the changes - the second mic, placing them a bit further away from the guitar, different strings - have made a HUGE impact on the end result. I'm amazed at how much progress you've made and how much your new guitar has sweetened up over the past few weeks.

Bravo, mon ami !!
I second Deft T! It sounded great in the first clip and so did you, but it is sounding even better and more full in the second.

Nice playing on difficult pieces of music!

I need to get busy! Hahahaha

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-31-2021, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Closing the thread with something special...

Hi everyone,

Before being accused of TCD ("Thread Closure Disorder"), I'd like to share with you something that really was the cherry on the cake.

Since January 2020, I've been taking classes with Will McNicol and registered on his newly created platform The College. I discovered a lot of his repertoire through Tom's demo videos, and I've always admired his technique and compositional skills. A few months before the completion of my guitar, I learnt about his commission work. Sadly I am more of a performer than a composer, and despite learning sporadically about music theory I have yet to create original music that I find compelling.

With that context in mind, I took the plunge and asked Will to compose a piece directly on the guitar while he was testing it for Tom's introduction video. I wanted it to become a gift for my partner, and I am really thankful for Will to make that creative process fun and collaborative.

First, he asked me to write a text to provide direction and some visual cues to the piece. I wanted to convey a sense of intimacy and child-like wonder, which I think he successfully represented throughout the piece. Second, since my partner plays cello, he collaborated with Alice (from Innotet) to add a part on top of the guitar. The ensemble is beautifully cohesive and I am really excited about learning that piece together. Third, he also provided me with a vinyl, CD and printed scores.

Here is the final video: https://vimeo.com/509753602/c0827f2b9d

I think it makes for a very special gift, and I so look forward to share it on April 26th. Thankfully my partner is not so keen on guitar forums as I am, so we run very little risk of spoiling the surprise

Finally, working with Will has been such an outstanding experience. His communication and professionalism are top notch, and he far exceeded my expectations. You can find more details about the commission process on his website, and don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any question.

Until next time!
Tom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop