The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-30-2020, 01:14 PM

Default TC Electronic Hypergravity Multiband Compressor

Has anyone tried using the TC Electronic Hypergravity Multiband Compressor to reduce string noises (e.g., fretting hand squeaks, fingernail clicks, etc.)?

I have an ES2 equipped Taylor that produces a lot of string noise especially fingernail scraping across the wound G & D strings as well as fingernail clicks. I have been able to reduce the noise somewhat with an EQ, but I thought I'd like to try a multi-band compressor to reduce then noise.
Old 04-30-2020, 01:20 PM

Compressors even the sound of the strings and it will not help strings noise. I have used the hyper gravity before and other compressors. I use 2 Taylor guitars with ES2 and I turn the treble and mids down on some amps and on other amps just a flat EQ works. So EQ is the best cure that I have found and then add the compressor to smooth it out.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
Compressors even the sound of the strings and it will not help strings noise. I have used the hyper gravity before and other compressors. I use 2 Taylor guitars with ES2 and I turn the treble and mids down on some amps and on other amps just a flat EQ works. So EQ is the best cure that I have found and then add the compressor to smooth it out.
I'm not looking to even out the sound of the strings. I'm looking to use the multiband compressor to compress the squeak only and let the normal string sound in that frequency range pass through. This technique is often used in studios to reduce string squeaks without affecting the overall guitar tone like an EQ notch would.

To do this I would define a narrow frequency range where the string squeak exists, set the threshold above where the normal sound level is but below where the string squeak level sits, set a fast attack, high compression ratio, and no makeup gain. Thus, severely compressing the squeak, without affecting the normal string sound.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:59 PM

You are essentially describing a de-esser. The specific settings are probably different but the principle is the same.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-04-2024, 12:27 PM

I use the Hypergravity Compressor to reduce string slide noise by creating a midrange between 1800 and 2500hz. Gain is at zero across the board. No dry signal on mids. High and Low Compression is OFF. 1:6 ratio and a low -6db threshold with a low attack. 100 ms on the hold. Make sure you change the knob mapping to only effect the new midrange. Works very well. I can hear it compress, but I doubt others will. I don't know what to do with the knee.

Anyone have any tweeks or recommendations on these or the other settings?

Youtube
Spotify
Tidal
ResultsManagementGroup and deepwork.coach

Last edited by Tapping; 03-04-2024 at 05:26 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification