The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-28-2020, 07:25 AM

Default Soundcraft EFX8 or Signature 10?

Good Morning, if you had to choose between the Soundcraft EFX8 and the Soundcraft Signature 10, which would you choose and why? I'm looking at both of them, mainly for Solo Acoustic, but I want one big enough to grow into. May also be used for a bit of DJ/Karaoke. I will be using a Heil PR35 microphone. Feel free to suggest any others as well in the same price range. Thank You

2014 Blueridge BR-140CE Solid Sitka Spruce Top/Solid Mahogany Back and Sides

2008 Takamine EG440C-Transparent Black Quilted Maple(Campfire Guitar)

2007 Blueridge BR-43 Solid Sitka Spruce Top/Mahogany Back and Sides
Old 04-28-2020, 09:42 AM

The efx8 actually has 8 xlr inputs.
The signature 10 only 6.?
Both have lexicon fx. both have parametric mids. If you want room to expand the
efx8 has more usable channels.
Other similar is the allen and heath
zed60-14 fx.. just a bit more than the
efx8...
Old 04-28-2020, 11:42 AM

I have the EFX8. I'm amazed at the quality of the unit, and include it among my best audio decisions.
Old 04-28-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
The efx8 actually has 8 xlr inputs.
The signature 10 only 6.?
Both have lexicon fx. both have parametric mids. If you want room to expand the
efx8 has more usable channels.
Other similar is the allen and heath
zed60-14 fx.. just a bit more than the
efx8...
Thanks! I was kinda of leaning toward the Signature 10, due to the EFX8 not having any compressors, like the Signature 10 does. The EFX8 has awesome feedback though, making it a hard decision Lol. Ive also looked at the Allen & Heath, specifically the Zed-12FX, and most things I've seen says it's a great mixer, but most people seem to prefer the FX on the Soundcraft.

Old 04-28-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I have the EFX8. I'm amazed at the quality of the unit, and include it among my best audio decisions.
Thank You, do you miss having any compressors with the EFX8? It sounds like an awesome board, and has a great reputation, and I'm not even sure if the lack of compressors would even be an issue for me, it's just something I noticed it didnt have vs the Signature 10.

Old 04-28-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transm View Post
Thank You, do you miss having any compressors with the EFX8? It sounds like an awesome board, and has a great reputation, and I'm not even sure if the lack of compressors would even be an issue for me, it's just something I noticed it didnt have vs the Signature 10.
I've tried to like what compressors do to our live sound in the spaces we've played using outboard pedals such as Boss and TC Electronics. I've sold them all, and I've tried way too many.

Not saying I'm the norm, but there ya go.

David
Old 04-28-2020, 03:28 PM

I had the Signature 10 for awhile, the pres were awesome and it sounded really
good, but one thing to be aware of is that the inputs seem to require an unusually high gain. A gain setting around noon on another mixer might be closer to 3-5 o'clock on the Signature 10. I've heard from others that Soundcraft boards tend to be this way? Not really a bad thing per se, but maybe worth noting.

Last edited by Oregon Donor; 04-28-2020 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

have the efx 8 and run it into qsc 10s. couldn't be more satisfied. i have used it for multiple purposes. my buddy teaches uke and guitar and i do sound for his (parents listen to what their kids have learned concerts)
every so often. i've mic'd 4 ukes at a time, done vocals and had guitars plugged in also. the 8 inputs are nice. it can do alot if you stay away from orchestras. quality is great.
Old 04-28-2020, 05:39 PM

I've had the EFX 8 for several years. It sounds great. No hiss or poblems like that. It is simple to use. And yes, it does have 8 real channels. I have no regrets about this mixer. I wish sometimes though that I had bought the EFX12. Same thing just more channels. I would also say that the EFX is not that big and it easy to carry and set up for our gigs. I also had a Allen & Heath FX6. But I ended up selling it as I found it too limited number of channels. But point is, that for me the EFX 8 just sounded better to my ears. My 2 cents.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by transm View Post
Good Morning, if you had to choose between the Soundcraft EFX8 and the Soundcraft Signature 10, which would you choose and why? I'm looking at both of them, mainly for Solo Acoustic, but I want one big enough to grow into. May also be used for a bit of DJ/Karaoke. I will be using a Heil PR35 microphone. Feel free to suggest any others as well in the same price range. Thank You
Me in terms of "future proof" I would seriously consider adding another $60 to budget and get the Soundcraft Signature 12 MTX

Which adds:
Multi channel (12) USB out for direct recording into a DAW
Adds the Soundcraft "Ghost" mic pre used on their high end consoles
Adds Soundcraft British style EQ
Adds DBX limiter/compressor to channels 1 and 2

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-29-2020, 01:46 PM

I have mixers from both series, an EFX12, and a Signature 12. Personally, I prefer the Signature, as I feel the preamps are nicer. It also has low cut, which is regularly used for louder gigs, limiter/compression on 1 and 2 if you want it, and a one button mute for all channels (except 11/12), which is great for breaks. The Signature 12 only has 8 XLR inputs though.

Both are fantastic mixers, and you won't be disappointed with either. The gain staging on the Signature series is a bit different, and you may have to run the sliders higher than you would on another desk.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:07 PM

I have the EFX8 and I love it! Besides the great sound, I find that being able to independently control my left and right speakers really comes in handy at my gigs. I sometimes wish it had a low-cut though but I can get that through my outboard gear. I was thinking of getting the Signature series but I don’t want to give up the independent speaker control.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
I have the EFX8 and I love it! Besides the great sound, I find that being able to independently control my left and right speakers really comes in handy at my gigs. I sometimes wish it had a low-cut though but I can get that through my outboard gear. I was thinking of getting the Signature series but I don’t want to give up the independent speaker control.
When using the Signature, I regularly run different volumes on left and right speakers, just have to do it using the volume on the individual speaker, and can't do it from my playing position like I can using the EFX.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification