The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-07-2020, 07:03 AM

Default Zoom H4n pro for my grand daughter

My 16 year old grand daughter likes to sing and play her uke. She has a great voice. And she is starting to write her own songs. So far she has just been using her iPhone for recording. I am considering get her an H4n pro as a birthday present. I am wondering if this would be helpful for her in recording. Not sure what kind of computer she has. Her parents do have a Mac. She has no other mics at this time--though I could lend her my Rode Nt1a. I am wondering how challenging it would be to use this device to record her music. I realize that any new digital device has a learning curve, but I think she'd be able to figure it out. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this issue. She loves music, loves to sing and I would this to be something that encourages her creativity.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

I think it's a good option in that price range, as it has the same quality preamp / converters as the H5 and H6, but offers more on board capability to overdub etc. - ideal for a young musician.

There are other options including a USB mic that could plug directly into the ipad, perhaps she would prefer that as it dispenses with the need to transfer files.

I have a Zoom H5. Basic recording would not be difficult to set up (selection of recording format, setting levels etc) and once done it is just a case of switching on and pressing record.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 08-07-2020, 09:37 AM

Probably the best choice. Like anything else, there will be help available on YouTube...
Old 08-07-2020, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelakekid2 View Post
My 16 year old grand daughter likes to sing and play her uke. She has a great voice. And she is starting to write her own songs. So far she has just been using her iPhone for recording. I am considering get her an H4n pro as a birthday present. I am wondering if this would be helpful for her in recording. Not sure what kind of computer she has. Her parents do have a Mac. She has no other mics at this time--though I could lend her my Rode Nt1a. I am wondering how challenging it would be to use this device to record her music. I realize that any new digital device has a learning curve, but I think she'd be able to figure it out. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this issue. She loves music, loves to sing and I would this to be something that encourages her creativity.
Hi flk2

A Zoom H4n is a great tool for recordings like you describe. The external mics are good enough for solid audio recordings.

I'd think the H1n would be adequate if she is just recording her playing/singing on the fly. The advantage of the H4n (and higher models) is being able to record more channels and to use external mics. And the Hn1 is small and rugged, and easy to adjust on-the-fly. I own several Zoom recorders, and the H1n is my on-the-go for recording audio tracks to meld with video later. The mics are great quality, and it's easy to carry, not fragile, and easy on batteries. It also boots about 20 times faster than the H4n. The H4 series recorders take about 2 minutes to boot from Off-to-Record…hardly spontaneous.

Listening to all Zoom recorders with earbuds or Headphones for listen back will have better fidelity.

Computer platform doesn't matter since the mini-SD or SD card (depending on model) are easy to use for importing audio. All Zoom recorders 'record' in standard audio formats.

A cheap tripod makes a great mic stand. I do believe all Zoom recorders now have a ¼-20 tripod interface on the underside.

Hope she enjoys and continues to grow with her music…hope this adds to the thread.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-07-2020, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

I’ve got an H4n and it’s a nice piece of gear. But it might be a little fidgety unless she is technologically inclined. A lot of folks on here like the Spire Studio. I don’t know how it works with YouTube or if she’s even planning on making videos, but it might be something to consider, as it seems to be a bit simpler to use.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:41 PM

Well..thanks everyone for the responses. I didn't get too many responses, but I did learn about the iZotope portable studio. That really looks like it would be good for her and I wouldn't mind it myself. More costly and maybe more than she needs. But hey, what are grandparents for. I will however, look more closely at the Hn1 also.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:01 AM

What most people don’t realize is you can use the Zoom H2n as an external mic. You can plug it directly into the phone and use whatever recording app is on the phone. I do this with my H2n and a Samsung Galaxy phone. Just do a YouTube search on how to do it and the cable needed for an iPhone
Old 08-10-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelakekid2 View Post
Well..thanks everyone for the responses. I didn't get too many responses, but I did learn about the iZotope portable studio. That really looks like it would be good for her and I wouldn't mind it myself. More costly and maybe more than she needs. But hey, what are grandparents for. I will however, look more closely at the Hn1 also.
You might consider the Zoom R8 as an alternative. The Zoom H series are all solid choices, of course.

I had an early H1 and thought it was really cheap feeling and difficult to operate due to essential buttons on the side of the recorder. I know it has since been re-designed.

For a small hand-held I purchased a Tascam R-05 and it's a well-built solid performer.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:01 AM

I recently bought the H4N Pro and I think it would be great for your granddaughter. I had it up and running in no time, so I doubt the technological aspect would give her any problems at all. And the ability to record four tracks opens up lots of possibilities for her original songs.

It also comes with a free download of Cubase LE and I believe Wavelab, in case she really gets bit by the recording bug. All in all, I think it would be a solid choice.

"Dreamin' just comes natural, like the first breath from a baby"
Old 08-17-2020, 03:43 PM

Well. I decided to go with the iZotope Spire Studio for my grand daughter. Went to order one today and much to my disappointment, they are out of stock everywhere. And it may be awhile before they are in stock again. And no doubt more expensive. After reading and looking at YouTube videos, I decided to go with the Spire as it seems that it can create decent quality recordings with several tracks and would be quite simple to operate. Simpler than the H4n I guess. But as one customer rep explained to me the supply chain is broken and there's no telling how long it will take to get these things back in stock. He explained also that due to Covid there has been a "run on home recording devices." So I am disappointed and may have to get a Zoom or other product...or just wait and see. I think there was one or two used Spires on Reverb. But the price was jacked up and I'm not keen on buying used electronic gear. Again, thanks for you input. Stay safe.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD