The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-18-2019, 05:57 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default An Interesting Old Gibson Amp

I guess I'm a sucker for underdogs. I played a 1966 Gibson GA-55RVT Ranger when I was in college and people loved my sound. Yes, I know, that is the Gibson "whiteface" period so everyone who liked my tone must have been wrong. Well anyway, recently in a fit of nostalgia, I ran a search for that amp, knowing full well that at seventy pounds I wasn't going to be interested in lugging one around. But in the process, I came across one of its little brothers and the sparks flew, speaking figuratively. You can enjoy my little trip through history and nostalgia, HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-19-2019, 09:47 AM

Great stuff Bob; geewizz you are a good writer, I read every word rather than the usual speed/ skim read. Also your discussion of your recent recording project on the main board I did the same.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:21 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Wow, what a kind comment. Sometimes I think I labor too hard over the phrasiology but then you come along and make it all worth it! Thank you!

Bob

Old 06-19-2019, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Wow, what a kind comment. Sometimes I think I labor too hard over the phrasiology but then you come along and make it all worth it! Thank you!

Bob
I agree with Jaden. Nice article, well written.

And now I also have more insight into your question about my GA-40 RVT.

Enjoy that amp Bob!

Last edited by The Growler; 07-01-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:19 PM

Nice article Bob.
I have regrets over an old Gibson amp I once saw:
I was newly divorced and driving my kids home after a visit, and we passed a yard sale. On the lawn was what looked to be a perfect-condition old Gibson amp for sale. Probably a GA40. I badly wanted to check it out, but I didn't dare stop - I was already late bringing the kids home, and any of you divorced folks know know how important it is to keep the peace with your ex, especially when kids are involved. I knew I couldn't get back there for at least 90 minutes, and I knew it would be gone. I was right on both counts.
I still think about that day when I see or hear about a Gibson amp.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
Nice article Bob.
I have regrets over an old Gibson amp I once saw:
I was newly divorced and driving my kids home after a visit, and we passed a yard sale. On the lawn was what looked to be a perfect-condition old Gibson amp for sale. Probably a GA40. I badly wanted to check it out, but I didn't dare stop - I was already late bringing the kids home, and any of you divorced folks know know how important it is to keep the peace with your ex, especially when kids are involved. I knew I couldn't get back there for at least 90 minutes, and I knew it would be gone. I was right on both counts.
I still think about that day when I see or hear about a Gibson amp.
Shoulda stopped! She was "gone girl" anyway.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 07-01-2019, 11:27 PM

The rhythm guitar player in my first "real" band had a late 60's Gibson amp that was a piggy-back head with a brushed metal faceplate, bolted to a cabinet with 2x10" and 1x15" speakers with a crossover between the 10s & 15. If I remember right it was a 'Titan' amp, rated at 65 watts rms with quad 6L6 tubes. It was a spectacular sounding amp and loud as hell with massive transformers. Wasn't really even considered vintage at the time, as this was in 1970-71 or so.

We were both playing matching Hagstrom Viking II guitars...him through his Gibson Titan and me through my Fender Bandmaster (also 65 watts, quad 6L6) on a 2x12 Heathkit cab with a HF horn driver. Great sounds...and being teenagers we didn't even know what we had. The Bandmaster is well-known, but that Gibson Titan was it's equal in every way, albeit with completely different mojo.

Ahhh...those days...
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 07-02-2019, 05:05 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The longer I play the thing the more I feel like it has a fantastic crunch sound. Last night I was frittering around with it and a Les Paul and it really had presence - a great voice.

Bob

Old 07-06-2019, 01:20 PM

Thumbs up Old stuff that works

Nice article, Bob.

I found an old (60's) Supro in a local pawn shop a while back. If I'd known then what I know now I'd have been happy to cough up the $285 the guy wanted...coulda shoulda woulda. It made slide sound sooo smooth and rich...even mine.

It did, however send me down a low-voltage rabbit hole from which I have yet to return. ( attempting to clone that sound in a studio setting) Having been spoiled to death with tandem amps, even triplets at times, my ears get pretty finicky when they quit buzzing. That Supro would have been a nice addition.

I've heard one of these Gibson amps. They really are sweet. Good find.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:21 AM

Yes, Bob, you're a good writer. Clear writing comes from clear thinking.

The bit about the the 2-conductor power cord, well, if you're just using it at work or at home and aren't commingling gear that may be plugged into different circuits (with different paths to ground) you should be okay. But me, I'd change it to a 3-conductor. With an IEC if there's room.

Couch Standards
Old 07-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Thanks for your kind words, everyone.

Bob

Old 07-22-2019, 08:00 PM

Apparently the Ranger also came in a 2x10" version as well - I was on a shopping roadtrip with a couple bandmates when we spotted one in the New Brunswick (NJ) GC last Thursday (yes, it was definitely a Ranger, and so labeled on the rear of the chassis); while it had non-original chickenhead knobs and what appear to be early-70's replacement speakers it's all there (and very clean) otherwise, and might be a good project for a follow-up article (and/or addition to your studio arsenal)...
Old 07-23-2019, 05:36 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Apparently the Ranger also came in a 2x10" version as well - I was on a shopping roadtrip with a couple bandmates when we spotted one in the New Brunswick (NJ) GC last Thursday (yes, it was definitely a Ranger, and so labeled on the rear of the chassis); while it had non-original chickenhead knobs and what appear to be early-70's replacement speakers it's all there (and very clean) otherwise, and might be a good project for a follow-up article (and/or addition to your studio arsenal)...
You know, I've never seen one of these! I looked it up on GC. That looks very much like they stuck a GA-55RVT chassis in a GA-95RVT Apollo cabinet.

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars