The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-22-2019, 06:40 PM

Default Dead and Company

I've seen incarnations of the Grateful Dead 87 times (in my younger days) Rat Dog , Phil and Friends, The Other Ones. This new line up with John Mayer Is better than I have ever seen. No I never Saw Jerry. But wow the musicianship is spectacular
2017 MIM Telecaster SE

Spark Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

I saw the Dead many many time with Jerry and enough times Post-Jerry to more or less write them off. I thought the 2015 shows with Trey were pretty good, but not spectacular. When I first heard tapes of Mayer’s earliest shows with them inkate 2015 and early 2016, I thought it was a terrible match, that he was a great guitarist playing in a context he just wasn’t well suited for.

But then he grew into it. I started hearing shows from later in 2017 and through last year that sounded incredible. Like he’d really internalized that music and found his place in that musical conversation. And since then everything I’ve heard I’ve liked. I’m a convert, or a re-convert. I love the Dead and this iteration is the first post Jerry grouping I’ve really liked. I don’t have any desire to fight the crowds and deal with parking and the whole scene anymore, so I probably won’t go see them, but I really like what they’re doing. I check out recordings and YouTube videos of their new shows whenever I can...

-Ray
Old 06-22-2019, 07:50 PM

Lightbulb

If you liked the Dead back in the day, I recommend today's western bluegrass festivals. Great easygoing vibe, less crowded, campground jamming, friendly people. And a lot of the same music.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:39 PM

I just saw them a week ago at Wrigley Field and a year ago at Alpine Valley. Music was outstanding at both shows. I hope they carry on for a long time. Good to see fans of all ages in attendance.

I saw the Grateful Dead around 50 times with Jerry. The current lineup is a close second.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 06-23-2019, 11:47 AM

Deadhead since 1991, saw them with Jerry seven times. I miss that guy like so many others, won't see his like again, huh?
Living means dealing with change and trying to do the best you can with what you have at the moment. Everything/Everybody is impermanent.

I've seen various incarnations of the surviving members groups since, Dead & Co. sadly only once so far.

However, I purchased a download of the 6/12/19 Noblesville "Deer Creek" show & it's very much impressing me. Happy they're still doing it and bringing in the next generations - as for me like someone once said "At least I'm enjoying the ride!"
Old 06-23-2019, 01:48 PM

NUGS.net has live streaming options the many are calling couch tour. The shows run about $25 I believe. I'm going to purchase the Atlanta show if I can. It's HD like first row seats from the comfort of your living room.

FP

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I saw the Dead many many time with Jerry and enough times Post-Jerry to more or less write them off. I thought the 2015 shows with Trey were pretty good, but not spectacular. When I first heard tapes of Mayer’s earliest shows with them inkate 2015 and early 2016, I thought it was a terrible match, that he was a great guitarist playing in a context he just wasn’t well suited for.

But then he grew into it. I started hearing shows from later in 2017 and through last year that sounded incredible. Like he’d really internalized that music and found his place in that musical conversation. And since then everything I’ve heard I’ve liked. I’m a convert, or a re-convert. I love the Dead and this iteration is the first post Jerry grouping I’ve really liked. I don’t have any desire to fight the crowds and deal with parking and the whole scene anymore, so I probably won’t go see them, but I really like what they’re doing. I check out recordings and YouTube videos of their new shows whenever I can...

-Ray
2017 MIM Telecaster SE

Spark Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spivey View Post
I just saw them a week ago at Wrigley Field and a year ago at Alpine Valley. Music was outstanding at both shows. I hope they carry on for a long time. Good to see fans of all ages in attendance.

I saw the Grateful Dead around 50 times with Jerry. The current lineup is a close second.
Some friends were there a week or so ago and also said it was an outstanding time.

My girlfriend at the time kept giving Jerry reasons to look at us (her) in the front row at an Alpine Valley show. These days I'm really glad she didn't become my wife and it might only be the Stones or my kids that would motivate me to attend a huge show.

Any Stones or big stadium show now might be a letdown after some I've seen such as having VIP next to stage box seats in San Francisco. A platonic friend won the tickets that included first class air, car rental and hotel in SFO. It was incredibly lucky me fun that she selected me as someone she could trust as a date that was not really a date.

Some of the Grateful Dead shows I saw were incredibly good playing and some were really not that good which is understandable.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridapicker View Post
NUGS.net has live streaming options the many are calling couch tour. The shows run about $25 I believe. I'm going to purchase the Atlanta show if I can. It's HD like first row seats from the comfort of your living room.
I'll have to check that out - sounds like about my speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Any Stones or big stadium show now might be a letdown after some I've seen such as having VIP next to stage box seats in San Francisco. A platonic friend won the tickets that included first class air, car rental and hotel in SFO. It was incredibly lucky me fun that she selected me as someone she could trust as a date that was not really a date.

Some of the Grateful Dead shows I saw were incredibly good playing and some were really not that good which is understandable.
The Grateful Dead - the band that wasn't afraid to be wrong...

I never got that lucky. In fact, the one time I WOULD have gotten that lucky, I couldn't make it. A friend and I drove from Tucson to SoCal to see a couple of San Diego shows and a Pauley Pavillion show at the end of December, 1978. Leading up to the New Years Eve show when they closed down Winterland for good. We were visiting a friend of mine in LA for the Pauley show and he had an extra ticket and a plane ticket to San Francisco for the NYE show at Winterland. Asked me if I wanted to go. But my friend from Tucson and I both had to be back in Tucson, if I'd gone to the Bay Area I'd have left him high and dry since I drove, AND we both got sick as dogs in San Diego and LA. So I turned it down and we slogged our way back through the desert on 12/31. Turned out my LA buddy was on a small commuter flight from LA to SF and on the plane was just he and the Dead and a few of the Dead's party. He partied with them for the however short a flight it was and got backstage for the show. Coulda woulda shoulda I guess. Sometimes you just don't make the right call!
Old 06-23-2019, 07:19 PM

I went to a Dead & Company show by accident, thinking it was a John Mayer concert — turned out to be a GREAT show! I had never really listened to The Grateful Dead prior to that concert, but I was totally diggin’ it! Glad for the happy accident! And I still got to see John Mayer live, so it was still a win. [emoji1316]

Old 07-11-2019, 09:02 AM

Saw them in 2017 and it was superb. All the benefits of John and a well-rehearsed band along with all the atmosphere of a vintage Dead concert.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:57 AM
Musical minimalist

I've been enjoying and playing their YT concerts for my clients that appreciate them.....they have a very nice vibe.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

I lost interest in the post-Jerry bands, and told my deadhead brother I was done with going to see them. John Mayer brought me back, and the guys on bass and keys have added some new life as well. It all sounds fresh to me again.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

I was never really much of a Dead fan back even in the day. Saw them twice at Springers Ballroom ( old grange hall) in the late 60's
But I have been impressed with the three or four videos I have seen of Dead and Company

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-12-2019, 06:24 AM

As a huge Jerry / Dead head I just can't get into it.

But, I thought Skynyrd should have shut it down back in the 70's as well.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-12-2019, 07:08 AM

I never was smart enough to go see the Grateful Dead when Jerry was still alive. I was young and dumb. But I started learning guitar in my mid 40's, and John Mayer actually got me on the bus. I was learning simple songs as I learned to play, and John Mayer's Gravity is one of those (in a sense). It can be played with pretty easy chords, and it's slow, so I learned it on my acoustic. Then I saw that John was playing with this other band..."Who's this Dead & Company?" I listened to my first show...a free stream (back when Nugs would still do that) from Atlanta in 2017. WOW. Blown away. Unlike anything I'd ever seen or heard. EVERY musician in that band contributes and matters to the overall sound, and I can listen to a song a dozen times and pick out different things every time. They way they layer their sound and all add different color to the songs is simply amazing to me. Drums / Space was like nothing I'd heard or expected, and it was such a fun and interesting change from the other material.

I've since been to three of their live shows (Alpine twice last year, and Boulder 1st night this year). I simply love it. It takes me to such a happy place. It's gotten me into old recordings of the Grateful Dead, and I love to just pick a random show and listen to it as well as Dead & Company. It has inspired me to learn 70+ Grateful Dead songs. At live shows, I have met dozens of new people, and all have been incredibly kind and welcoming and helpful. Such a good heart in all of the folks I've met.

No, this isn't the band that played when Jerry was alive. But it occurs to me that this music wasn't just Jerry's to have...it belongs to everyone, to evolve and to be shared and renewed and refreshed...and PLAYED. It would be a real shame if people ignored the incredible capability of this music and these musicians just because it wasn't quite the way they remember it. I love this music, and I love this band, and I hope The Music Never Stops.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic