The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-23-2013, 01:05 PM

Location: Texas side of the Red River.The Best Country on Earth :]

Every build I have seen with it looks amazing. It's nice to know the story behind it. Thanks for the link!
"And from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace." John 1:16

90' American Strat Customized/W Working Bridge
Soon my own acoustic build.....

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blue-...78294772235384 The business my wife and I own. No school like the Old school!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:07 PM

It sounds better than it looks :-). My Tree guitar has become my favorite. Always hard to describe tone but to my ear it just produces a great balanced sound.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:34 PM

Default Support our Luthiers.

All of the sponsoring builders here on AGF will have access to some of this wood if they get a commission. I urge you to talk to them if you would like to order a build. As much as I need the cash to pay for the wood and get out of debt I really want this special wood to be in the hands of fine builders.

Most folks know what the up-charge from Taylor was for this wood (6 years ago), don't expect rock bottom prices for the up charge but I'm sure the builder here will be competitive with what Taylor charged.

Talk to them and I'll let you or them know when sets are available. I'm REALLY excited by the Quality of this material. In 20 years of my love affair with this wood I have NEVER seen better. I doubt I'll ever get my hands on another board anywhere near this.

Let's raise all boats, support our luthiers.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:34 PM

have a couple sets for sale in the classified section

cheers,

Jack Briggs
Old 07-23-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
+1 ^^^ What Harv said...

We just finished our one and only build with "The Tree" and I can unequivocally say that it is the best mahogany guitar that has ever left our shop, to date. A couple guys who played it recently and have played a lot of our guitars, say it ranks near the top. Folks may foo foo the storied history or price associated with this wood but unquestionably there is some serious mojo in it for sure!

[IMG][/IMG]
Purdy geetah!!!

We all start out saying "yea... rightttttt..... it's 'just' mahogany..." and then a funny thing happens.... you build with it and you realize... if it was butt ugly you'd have to get more of it .... the fact that it looks as good as it sounds (or vice versa...) is just icing on the cake.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:53 AM

Tree coming out of the wood work!
Old 07-25-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekutree64 View Post
Whoa! And here I thought that figure was only in a small portion of the tree, and all used up by now. 25 practically priceless sets? I shudder to think what that board would cost... could it be the most expensive single board that's ever existed?

If you ask me, you should cut as many one-piece backs as possible from that. You can always cut them into 2-piece after resawing, and that figure would look a lot better with the veins "sticking up" from the surface rather than half up and half down due to runout inversion on a bookmatch.
One of the many magical things about the Tree is that very often you don't see the inversion... don't ask me how but I find the book match is usually perfectly symmetrical... look at Tim's guitar... with the rolling quilt (sausage) it looks really cool for a one-piece, I think with the tortoise it might actually lose a bit as a one-piece. YMMV

Harv
Old 07-25-2013, 11:19 PM

Kk..my wife likes...how much for a set ...send me a message if I can get one in Canada.....I will build one to do it justice!!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 02:45 PM

Well Harv, your wood murdered David's Laguna Re-Saw Master. I'm coming home with nothing but your wood. Sigh

He could be up again if he thinks of a fix or Laguna does.

UPDATE:

May have a fix, back to the shop. Parts on the way...may not have to come home yet...

Jay

Last edited by BBWW; 07-26-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Well Harv, your wood murdered David's Laguna Re-Saw Master. I'm coming home with nothing but your wood. Sigh

He could be up again if he thinks of a fix or Laguna does.

UPDATE:

May have a fix, back to the shop. Parts on the way...may not have to come home yet...

Jay
If the wood that did that is now mine... I'm a pretty happy guy! If the redwood killed it... it was time for a new saw anyway

Harv
Old 07-27-2013, 12:07 AM

We figured out the problem. New parts next week. Try again... Hey, Humans, figured woods and machines...what could go wrong...

At least your wood is done, curled like potato chips off the saw but besides that it looks great.

It seems to have settled down. There was some tension in that wood. Safe in 60% humidity garage now at 65 degrees, it was hot in the shop.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
We figured out the problem. New parts next week. Try again... Hey, Humans, figured woods and machines...what could go wrong...

At least your wood is done, curled like potato chips off the saw but besides that it looks great.

It seems to have settled down. There was some tension in that wood. Safe in 60% humidity garage now at 65 degrees, it was hot in the shop.
Do you lose much wood to it doing weird things, like twisting/warping, when you cut into the final sets?
Old 07-27-2013, 02:32 AM

Usually not much, the saw fights back sometimes? David's rig actually usually gives you more.:-)
Old 07-27-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:

...was it string tension...
Old 07-27-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
Do you lose much wood to it doing weird things, like twisting/warping, when you cut into the final sets?
I will stay the re-sawing the tortoise shell figure is tough. It's very dense and some parts of each billet can be harder than another. You need to really watch the blade because the blade does "want" to wander. I have lost sets because of this, so far it's been very rare.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop