The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-21-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

this thread has likely taken long than it took to write the song. Thanks for making an effort at a tutorial. Sadly, I'll bet you've learned your lesson now about trying to help others!
Old 07-21-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
It's actually an Em7. Played in drop D, the specific voicing is playing the second frets of the E and A string. Not your typical Em7 voicing.
Thanks for posting that. Just tried it and while it's very subtle, nicely worth making the change. Edited my two previous posts to show the Em7 instead of just Em.

Mostly because of the G chord, not sure if I'll change to the dropped tuning, although I definitely like it for the rest of the song, so I'll be looking at more options for playing G.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 07-21-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
It is playable in standard, but a tutorial should point out that standard is not the original tuning.
Absolutely. Pretty easy for one to post that while it may or may not be perfectly accurate, this is how I play it.

Quote:
I agree it's not a tough one to play in drop d.
Not tough at all, and it sounds better, everywhere, except (so far) on the G chord.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I agree with you that in a tutorial he should at least say that he is not showing how the original is done, and explain that he is presenting what (I presume he thinks) is a simpler version for beginners in EADGBE.
Exactly.

Quote:
Then viewers won't be confused about why it sounds different, or why his chord shapes look different.
I'm sure a lot of people would be really confused watching me play it, since I play the repeat section completely different from how Neil first wrote it. That's one thing I'm not going to change though, since I like it better. More difficult, but I really like it and I've received lots of compliments that it sounds just like the record on that part. I guess I fooled both the audience and myself with that one.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
this thread has likely taken long than it took to write the song.
LoL! That's probably true, but it sure shows how much we like the song.

Quote:
Thanks for making an effort at a tutorial. Sadly, I'll bet you've learned your lesson now about trying to help others!
I'm always happy to see how others play songs that I already know, and it shows me some better ways of playing it, or at other times at least makes me question why I don't want to change it.

The only thing really for the OP, is to see if he likes what we've thrown out there for him and to maybe make mention that his version may vary from the original. I for one and glad to have seen a few posts that have already changed how I'll be playing it from now on. Even if they were small points, one quick try and I liked them. Everyone else should do the same, if they want to progress that is.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
this thread has likely taken long than it took to write the song. Thanks for making an effort at a tutorial. Sadly, I'll bet you've learned your lesson now about trying to help others!

Well, you know what they say...

"No good deed goes unpunished..."
Old 07-22-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Well, you know what they say...

"No good deed goes unpunished..."
Yes, yes. Many of us wanted to help, but then along comes the retribution from those who would prefer letting others learn the song, replete with mistakes intact.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Absolutely. Pretty easy for one to post that while it may or may not be perfectly accurate, this is how I play it.

Not tough at all, and it sounds better, everywhere, except (so far) on the G chord.
The G is easy enough in drop D as 5-5-0-0-0-3, which is I think how Neil plays it.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Exactly.

I'm sure a lot of people would be really confused watching me play it, since I play the repeat section completely different from how Neil first wrote it. That's one thing I'm not going to change though, since I like it better. More difficult, but I really like it and I've received lots of compliments that it sounds just like the record on that part. I guess I fooled both the audience and myself with that one.
That's all fine, I just think it's worth explaining those things for anyone coming to your lesson expecting to learn how the original was done. You could easily say something like "Neil did it this way, but I like it this way".

There's no law about having to play a song the same as the original! In fact, it's good to demonstrate different ways of getting (more or less) the same sound. Definitely no quarrel with that.
Even Neil does things differently sometimes (e.g., lowering the key of Helpless, to better suit his ageing voice).
Old 07-22-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
The "lesson" of this thread is how to help others better.
I don't intend to be patronising to the OP, and I don't believe one has to play a song in the identical way to the original. It's just important to explain the differences. Some people do want to play it identical.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
That's all fine, I just think it's worth explaining those things for anyone coming to your lesson expecting to learn how the original was done. You could easily say something like "Neil did it this way, but I like it this way".

There's no law about having to play a song the same as the original! In fact, it's good to demonstrate different ways of getting (more or less) the same sound. Definitely no quarrel with that.
Even Neil does things differently sometimes (e.g., lowering the key of Helpless, to better suit his ageing voice).
I know it's fine, and I've always done it that way. If I like something better, then I'm going to do it. Not sure why you're replying as if we see any of this differently.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:19 AM

I do apologize if I was harsh. I’ve learned things in this thread and I thank those who helped dissect the song. Carry on!

Last edited by srick; 07-22-2019 at 07:27 AM. Reason: edited by moderator
Old 07-22-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I know it's fine, and I've always done it that way. If I like something better, then I'm going to do it. Not sure why you're replying as if we see any of this differently.
My apologies! For some reason I thought you were the OP (under a different name).
Old 07-22-2019, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDepew View Post
Here's a lesson on acoustic guitar. A great tune by Neal Young!

Really? "Neal Young" didn't write Harvest Moon. Neil Young did!

Last edited by Al Acuff; 07-22-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Yes, yes. Many of us wanted to help, but then along comes the retribution from those who would prefer letting others learn the song, replete with mistakes intact.
Well, in my experience, righteous retribution always seems to follow well intentioned help, whether in real life or on the internet...

I guess that in my life I've heard so many major artists play their own material so many different ways (some times I could barely recognize the song) that I just don't get too bothered when folks make mistakes...we all make them, none of us are perfect...if I don't like the way one person is doing it, I'll just find another version I like...

I heard a well know guitarist whose name escapes me at the moment, who said "If you make a mistake, play it again with authority so everyone thinks you meant it..."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write