The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 06-24-2019, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Default RESONATOR - looking for whatever...? Found a Dobro .. thanks AGF

Just looking for an acoustic resonator guitar. Haven't ever owned one. I picked up a couple at my local shop and decided I have to have one. No real interest in slide play; just some fingerpicking with the resonator twang. I'm a singer and love country, folk, singer song writer stuff - you know the usual suspects starting with Hank, Townes and the various folks associated with all that. Not necessarily what they would have chosen, but I like the effect.

My main criteria are playability; a 1 3/4 nut or more; round neck (bit square) ala current Martin, Collings, Huss & Dalton etc. Not after thin, but not gigantic either. A little V or sorta V is fine. Maybe a little non specific, but I'm not hoping for perfection -- just something that will give me a fighting chance in the comfort department. Would like to stay in the 12 fret, smaller body size.

I've heard the Gold Tone Paul Beard variations are a good value, but none in my area, so far, to try. Not opposed to a less expensive "sleeper". The Gretsch Houndogs at my store were both pretty sad in the neck category -- humps, overbow, twists and turns etc., but I did really like the sound under the fingers with an aggressive attack. Just too many unintended random buzzes and the action was painful after a short bit. My luthier said it was a no go on those to tweak and hope for a good result.

Anyway, very little to go on at this point, but if you have something that you think will fit the bill, please give me a shout.

Thanks and cheers.

Last edited by tired fingers; 06-28-2019 at 01:53 PM. Reason: found a dobro
Old 06-24-2019, 10:01 AM
Guest 728

It sounds like your preference is for a spider bridge and a wood body, but you might want to specify those preferences to focus your search and solicitations.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
It sounds like your preference is for a spider bridge and a wood body, but you might want to specify those preferences to focus your search and solicitations.
I second that motion! there is a world of difference between a spider bridge type resonator guitar, a metal bodied biscuit cone guitar,and a small parlor sized wood body biscuit cone model. Not trying to confuse you - just maybe to defuse you for a bit. Play some more, of different types. Then buy one once you know what you really want. They really are very specific use instruments.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Default resonator

Thanks for the suggestions. There is an unfortunate scarcity of triable ones around here. So, as I've done before, it's going to be - get something, try it for a while, maybe get lucky off the bat -- if not, try again.

I think I'm partial to the wood body/spider combination. Not looking for the National/Dobro steel/brass body sound. Just a good strong twang effect as in a finger style wood box.

I'll see what show up, if anything.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

In my experience if you look long enough you will find a good deal on a used National. The other brands are just trying to imitate what National does. That's just my opinion, it's free.

Wood body is the way to go. Single cone and tricone will both do much more than the stereotypical blues sound. However from your description of your playing I would bet a wood body tricone would do exactly what you want.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Default resonator

Thanks, Randall. Does those guys show up on the AGF from time to time? I haven't been looking until now, so wouldn't have noticed. Any other places to look? Cheers
Old 06-24-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Hi, as said, resos come in two (ok three) designs.

* Spider cone (as in square neck Dobro (Hawaiian/bluegrass sound) Best make Beard/Goldtone.

Single cone "Biscuit" style (by National Resophonic - originally made for dance bands but most used for blues/bottleneck etc.

Available in 12 or 14 fret and in steel body (shrill), brass body (bit sweeter) and wood body (nice!) This is my National Estralita Deluxe (12 fret 1 & 13/16" nut width).

see :

Tricone - (three small cones) more complex sound, as single cones Nationals available in steel, brass, or wooden bodies.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Default resonator

Silly Moustache -- now that's what I'm talking about. Very nice instrument and nicely done by you. I'm guessing that is not a pedestrian model and has a suitable price to match. Are there any current Nationals available? Maybe a little plainer (less expensive) but with that tonal thing? Or other brands that get close?
Thanks and cheers.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

No copies of Nationals really sound like Nationals.
The bodies are not, actually that important - I mean, (laminated) wooden bodies sound less strident than steel or brass, but as it is all about the cone.

As I said this is a National Estralita - bought used, to replace my brass Style "o" deluxe, which was a beat but too heavy (man!)

see :
Old 06-24-2019, 12:28 PM

Default Resonator

PM just sent.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 06-24-2019, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

There are a couple of wooden body single cone Nationals on Reverb in the $1500 range. make an offer, you might be surprised.

Just to be clear, they do not belong to me. I own a Wooden body Resorocket and I am very happy with it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars