The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-29-2019, 04:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Testing my new Shure MV88 mic

I bought a Shure MV88 stereo mic that plugs directly into the phone, or remotely via a 4' cable. Here it is recording my Tele build plugged into my Fender PRRI which is bridged into a Fishman Loudbox Performer. The mic is in between the 2, and it was set up, literally, in a minute. If my tuning was as good as the sound quality I'd be even happier:-)

HE
Old 04-29-2019, 08:02 AM

I love the sound you're getting.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
I bought a Shure MV88 stereo mic that plugs directly into the phone, or remotely via a 4' cable. Here it is recording my Tele build plugged into my Fender PRRI which is bridged into a Fishman Loudbox Performer. The mic is in between the 2, and it was set up, literally, in a minute. If my tuning was as good as the sound quality I'd be even happier:-)

HE
HI Howard…

That sure went well with a cup of coffee.

I've been tempted (for shooting audio for video), but what holds me back is I change phones every couple years, and I'm fearing the lightning jack may be going away. My iPad (which would/could be my recording device) is USB-C. There is no way to adapt the Shure MV-88 to it at present.

If Apple would offer a female-lightning to male usb-c adapter or cable, I'd pull the trigger.

Actually there is one made/sold from Asia, but it specifies that it cannot be used with Apple devices for video nor audio, only data transfer and charging.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 04-29-2019 at 08:10 AM. Reason: added a correction/addition
Old 04-29-2019, 08:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Larry,
Thank you kindly, sir!

Isn’t this exactly what you’re looking for?

Apple Lightning to USB-C Cable (1 m) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMN7DCX..._BAWXCb7YACVE2

HE
Old 04-29-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Sounds good! Is that a Lollar Charlie Christian pickup in the neck position? Is the bridge pickup also a Lollar?
Old 04-29-2019, 11:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Sounds good! Is that a Lollar Charlie Christian pickup in the neck position? Is the bridge pickup also a Lollar?
Hi Al,
They’re both made by Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars.

He was an absolute pleasure to deal with!

Regards,
Howard
Old 04-29-2019, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Howard, they're sweet sounding pickups. I'll check him out.

Beautiful guitar!!!
Old 04-29-2019, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Larry,
Thank you kindly, sir!

Isn’t this exactly what you’re looking for?

Apple Lightning to USB-C Cable (1 m) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMN7DCX..._BAWXCb7YACVE2

HE
Hi Howard

The Lightning end has to be female (the mic is male).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-01-2019, 09:19 PM

Man that sounded fantastic!! I cannot believe how nice it sounded just through my computer speakers. And also I do not know what tuning you were using but it was very nice. I really enjoyed that clip!!
Old 05-02-2019, 04:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTim View Post
Man that sounded fantastic!! I cannot believe how nice it sounded just through my computer speakers. And also I do not know what tuning you were using but it was very nice. I really enjoyed that clip!!
Hi Tim,
Thank you very much for listening!

As it says on the top of the youtube screen (or at least it should) "Open D under construction", and I'm capoed 2, so it's in E. The music for the piece is much longer, but it's basically done except for the lyrics/melody, though I am phrasing a lot of melody within the guitar arrangement.

I hope it sounded good on your computer speakers because of the musical content first and foremost.

I listen to some things on my iPhone speaker, held up to one ear, that positively light me up. Then I'll just have to make a point of getting my headphones to give a better listen; a more intimate listen, but it's still the music.

Musical content is almost everything.

Aside from my 2nd string being flat, I could be totally happy if this aural fingerprint is precisely what I end up with when I take it to my favorite studio, Tiki Recorders.

All in good time.

Best,
Howard
Old 05-02-2019, 06:57 AM

Hi Howard,

I just spent a little time on your new website.

Nice looking, and I enjoyed myself.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Hi Tim,
Thank you very much for listening!

As it says on the top of the youtube screen (or at least it should) "Open D under construction", and I'm capoed 2, so it's in E. The music for the piece is much longer, but it's basically done except for the lyrics/melody, though I am phrasing a lot of melody within the guitar arrangement.

I hope it sounded good on your computer speakers because of the musical content first and foremost.

I listen to some things on my iPhone speaker, held up to one ear, that positively light me up. Then I'll just have to make a point of getting my headphones to give a better listen; a more intimate listen, but it's still the music.

Musical content is almost everything.

Aside from my 2nd string being flat, I could be totally happy if this aural fingerprint is precisely what I end up with when I take it to my favorite studio, Tiki Recorders.

All in good time.

Best,
Howard

Now that I go back I see the title. Yes it is good sound and I am impressed it is a phone too. I am going to check the Mic out myself. I am not really into making videos but it might come in handy. Thanks for the post and your playing sounds good too!!
Old 05-02-2019, 09:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTim View Post
Now that I go back I see the title. Yes it is good sound and I am impressed it is a phone too. I am going to check the Mic out myself. I am not really into making videos but it might come in handy. Thanks for the post and your playing sounds good too!!
Tim,
I got the mic primarily for quick YouTube videos and doing FaceTime lessons,
and it certainly does what I need it to do: Get closer to the sound source while the camera gets what’s needed.

HE
Old 05-03-2019, 07:54 AM

Default Testing my new Shure MV88 mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
HI Howard…

That sure went well with a cup of coffee.

I've been tempted (for shooting audio for video), but what holds me back is I change phones every couple years, and I'm fearing the lightning jack may be going away. My iPad (which would/could be my recording device) is USB-C. There is no way to adapt the Shure MV-88 to it at present.

If Apple would offer a female-lightning to male usb-c adapter or cable, I'd pull the trigger.

Actually there is one made/sold from Asia, but it specifies that it cannot be used with Apple devices for video nor audio, only data transfer and charging.

Actually, the Shure MV88+ comes with both lightning and USB-C cables.

Last edited by lkingston; 05-03-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Actually, it comes with both lightning and USB-C cables.
Hi lkingston

The M
Shure MV-88 "plus" model does, and it is not compatible with the iPad Pro which uses the USB-C. I use my iPad pro for quick-n-dirty interviews, so till they make it compatible I'll not be purchasing it. Also, it's only connectable by cables, so one has to have a mic mount to use it, and they upped the price by $100USD (to $249).

I'll wait and see if they make it compatible with the iPad Pro (USB-C input) so we could use their fabulous Shure app.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD