The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 09:43 PM

Default Hickory tonewood

Please tell me more about this wood as a tone wood. After hearing these two videos of a Monkman 00 with hickory back and sides my interest in this wood has gone waaaay up . It's like a mellow rosewood With less ring and more mid range. Do you think a jumbo made from hickory will still have that mellow sustain with a nice range?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJBIve-U--M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcXyN5xmTzc
Old 09-22-2019, 10:34 PM

Mac, I’ve only ever played one musical instrument with hickory back and sides, and it was a mountain dulcimer, not a guitar. In that application, anyway, it sounded and responded more like maple than rosewood, perhaps like a cross between maple and walnut. It was livelier and had a quicker response than rosewood, without as many overtones.

I liked it well enough, and wouldn’t mind owning a hickory instrument. But I don’t see it as a rosewood substitute. I’ve owned dulcimers with rosewood back and sides in the past, both Indian and Brazilian rosewood, and the hickory didn’t remind me of either.

Take that for what it’s worth - obviously, it’s not the exact same thing as a guitar with hickory back and sides. But with all the various instruments that I play, I have found that these tonewoods do have certain characteristics that remain the same no matter what instrument gets built out of them.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

PS: I do think a jumbo with hickory back and sides might be a great instrument. I do think it could be a suitable pairing of tonewood with body style. But you might have a difficult time finding a clear set that’s big enough for the purpose.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:22 AM
Charter Member

Interesting post....always wondered about Hickory being used, back n sides for a guitar. And black locust for fret board on the linked video. I always wondered about using Black Locust locust being used as fret board. Very hard wood. Both woods are common in N. America. Love to hear others chime in on this thread.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Like Wade, I only really ever heard of Hickory being used for dulcimers. Folkcraft offers models with that wood choice for certain, as well as dulcimer luthiers. In my experience with it on the dulcimer, it was okay, but would not be my first choice as a tone wood. But, different strokes for different folks.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:21 AM

No reason Hickory cannot be used for a jumbo - it is plenty big enough. It is the hardest common North American hardwood and compares well in that respect with many tropical woods. i have seen photos of hickory guitars but have not seen one in person (see www.tonewooddatasource.weebly.com for examples). I have used it a couple of times for kitchen cabinets and as flooring. The big box stores are carrying it now as a standard flavor of cabinet and indeed they look striking with the dark and lighter wood contrasts, but with enough exposure to sun that contract will lessen. I have yet to see it figured or display chatoyance, but it will make a striking-looking instrument without these displays. I would not, however, expect the sound to imitate Rosewood.

Locust for a fingerboard will be a good choice, but beware that it is a blond wood and will show the dirt UNLESS you darken it. Traditionally a mixture of vinegar and iron filings will do this, but Tim McKnight has discovered that torrifying the wood will also turn it very dark.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:44 AM

Very interesting. I just cut up some very large hickory slabs this weekend.

Darn, now I have to build another guitar. 😀

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion