The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 10:18 AM

Default Guitar Center Pro Protection Plan - Worth It or Not?

In May I purchased a used Larrivee SD-60 with pickup. I normally turn my nose up at the Pro Protection Plan. I usually consider it little more than Profit Enhancement Plan for the seller. But for some reason I bit, thinking that perhaps it might have some future value.

In August I happened to have the Larrivee with me while considering a a used banjo at another Guitar Center. The sales guy was admiring the Larrivee but pointed out what he considered a flaw. The issue was a tiny separation between the very bottom of the neck heel and the body of the of guitar (below the dovetail tenon). The neck angle was fine and the action spot on. The sales guy stated that the Pro Plan would take care of the issue, but not that store. I would have to return it to the selling store. I considered this to be a curious statement.

I returned the guitar to my local Guitar Center, from which I have purchased many thousands of dollars worth of instruments. I had the original receipt which included the Pro Protection Plan. The local Guitar Center recognized the issue. He stated that the store needed to get repair authorization from the Pro Plan insurance company. Even though I had presented the receipt to the store, the Pro Plan insurance company wanted me to return home and fax them a copy of the receipt. I started to smell a runaround. I pushed back and told the store manager that I considered the situation unacceptable. The reply was that the store would take care of the issue. I was leaving on a 3.5 trip out of the country and I was assured the repair would be complete on my return.

While on vacation I visited a friend who was a Larrivee dealer and repairmen and explained the issue to him. He thought that it was really a non issue, simply an example of wood shrinkage or sloppy woodworking on the neck heel face. Since the joint itself was a compound dovetail, he doubted that it was going anywhere.

Upon return home I went to get my hopefully repaired Larrivee. I discovered that the repairman had suddenly quit, leaving the guitar unrepaired but lacking it's former strings. The store could not complete the repair until they hired a new repairman. They did offer to buy back my guitar at half what I paid for it (that was good of them, I thought sarcastically).

I asked for my guitar back, including a replacement set of strings at store expense. I took the guitar home, restrung it, and used a repairmen's technique to clean up the appearance of the neck joint.

I must say that the Larrivee is simply a great sounding and playing guitar.

My experience with Guitar Center's Pro Plan has been for me that the plan is worthless. I am reminded of my employment by Sears 40 years ago. Sears required salespeople to pitch their extended warrantee. My manager explained that the plans were really "profit recovery" techniques for the company.

This is my experience with GC Pro Plan. I hope your experience has been better.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:51 AM

Extended warranty programs are pretty much always going to be a net loss and general advice is to avoid them They wouldn't be offered if the issuer isn't making a big profit.

Michael
Old 09-22-2019, 08:35 PM

GC can’t seem to manage to change strings on their guitars but we’re supposed to believe they can address serious repair issues?
Old 09-22-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Henry View Post
I usually consider it little more than Profit Enhancement Plan for the seller.
If I add up the cost of all the extended warranties I haven't purchased over the years, I'm a few thousand dollars ahead.

When it comes to extended warranties, I have one rule: Just Say No.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-22-2019, 10:13 PM

I had a guy come out to fix my 18 month old dryer on Friday. Asked him about extended warranties and he said (and I quote) “have you ever known an insurance company to not make a profit?” Good enough for me.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
I had a guy come out to fix my 18 month old dryer on Friday. Asked him about extended warranties and he said (and I quote) “have you ever known an insurance company to not make a profit?” Good enough for me.
Nailed it!

2014 Pono OP-10DC
2013 Martin 0015M
60's Harmony Stella
Old 09-23-2019, 06:19 AM

Im an accountant. In my classes we were taught that sell alone warranties aren't worth it.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:20 AM

The GC extended warranty is done through an outside company. Yes, you need to call them separately for 'authorization'. I would never use a GC for a repair since they fired all the experienced techs they used to have (quite a few years ago now) and hired a bunch or rookies.
If the gear you buy is worth less than $200, the Pro Pan place will refund your complete purchase price (via GC 'gift card') without you needing to do anything more, not sure it is worth paying for an extended warranty for something more expensive though.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-23-2019, 07:39 AM

Not worth it. Just extra cost and if I care about an instrument, I always take it to my own luthier anyway
Old 09-23-2019, 07:59 AM

On sub-$200 items, sometimes. Long story short, I (not intentionally) got a new *free amp one time, as the problem with the old one was easily resolved later. *the cost of the Pro Coverage was what it cost
I used to work for Radio Shack back in the day. With extended warranties, there are spiffs for salesmen: some really push the sale, while others don't. I was in a sense trained to lie to people to get the sale. We were told to say the the warranty covered things it didn't, and the buzz word was, "no questions asked" when dealing with replacing items.

There is a lot of red tape getting the replacement item.

In my opinion, not worth it on most items.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:13 AM

All insurance, even from the most reputable and reliable companies, is based on the same vigorish as gambling. They have the data. They know how often they'll play out and how much, that's how they set their costs for the insurance with as much a percentage as the market will bear over their projected costs.

So if you're ever wondering if "it's worth it" know that they likely have more data that you do, and even if it's "a tie" they have put in some margin to make sure it pays off for them.

Yes, just like in gambling, a few times you "win" which may encourage you to "play" more often. As long as they win more often they stay in business.

Of course that doesn't mean that you should never buy an insurance product. We need coverage for things too expensive to "self-insure" like health care costs, our homes, many of our cars (and for legal reasons, liability insurance even on cars like mine).

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 09-23-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:52 AM

I have concluded that I threw my money away on this one. However, I got this guitar at a good price (even including plan). No regrets on the guitar.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:56 AM

Costco will sell you a Square Trade warranty on electronic equipment, including smart phones. On phones, there is a substantial deductible. The only good thing is that if you don't use the warranty you can cancel it before it expires and get your money back. Most people will not keep track of the expiration date, however, and never get their money back.

Also, on TVs, Computers, etc., they double the manufacturers warranty (quadruple it if you use the Costco VISA card), so there is little reason to buy the Square Trade warranty on those items anyway.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-23-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

GC plan on a guitar - Not a chance

GC plan on something electronic that you plan to gig with every weekend and be really hard on... - Not a bad idea
Old 09-23-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

The only time a warranty plan is worth the extra price is when buying a home, especially if the home/appliances have a few years on them. Otherwise best to stay away from the extra insurance.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion