The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2019, 06:01 PM

Default Future neck reset...is this a concern when purchasing a new guitar?

So, I've been researching 12 strings and Taylor is the only brand I know that has bolt on necks.

I'd like to try other guitars, my favorite being Guild f412 & f512, etc..wouldn't mind buying a vintage one.

But my concern is if I buy a vintage, or a new guitar, it "might" need a neck reset so I'd rather get one with a bolt on.

I'm planning on keeping this "new" guitar for a long time. Since I'll be 50 next year and want something of value for the future.

Thought i't would be cool to buy a Martin or Guild made in 1970, same year I was born.

I keep reminding myself of the cheap Washburn acoustic I have. Purchased new in 1995 for $259 with trade in...don't need a neck reset on that.

And I wasn't too concerned about humidity or anything. I mean I didn't keep it in an attic or anything...just left it in it's case most of the time...although the saddle did have a crack that I repaired...but other than that, it's been fine.

My daughter plays that one now which gives me an excuse to get another one.

newpatch
Old 09-21-2019, 06:11 PM

Nothing wrong with your thinking.
Taylor make great 12-string guitars and the ease and simplicity of their bolt-on neck system makes resets easier, faster and cheaper.
A Taylor will also be lighter with a more user friendly neck profile than a 70's Guild.

I love my Guild F-412 and Martin Grand J12-40E Special but wouldn't hesitate checking out Taylor if I were looking for a new 12-string.

The 458e-R and higher spec 818e would definitely be on my list.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-21-2019, 06:18 PM

All other things being equal (model, rarity, demand) condition is going to determine value of a vintage guitar.

A 1970 Guild F-212 in need of a neck reset would probably set you back $800-1000. One with a fresh reset is going to run $1600 or so.

My Taylor is an ok guitar, but it sure doesn't sound anything like my Guild.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-21-2019, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

I wouldn’t let the kind of neck joint drive your decision so strongly. Check out an old Guild if that’s what you prefer and be sure to measure the action and saddle height. If you’ve got about 1/8” of saddle sticking out of the top of the bridge, you’re a long way off from a neck reset. It really comes down to the individual guitar.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

U would be surprised at how many guitar makers are using bolt on technology (Many of them do have a 12 string in the line up).
There are several threads about this. Here is one

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=487368

All my guitars have bolt on necks. I did not buy them for that reason. They came home with me because I loved how they sounded and played.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 09-21-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:51 PM

I like your thinking about a 12 string and bolt on neck.
I have owned 2 Guild 12 strings over the years and they never needed a neck reset but I sold both of them before they were over 15 years old.

Part of that decision to sell was thinking about the cost of a neck reset.
I have played a few Taylor 12 string guitars and I do prefer the tone that Guild has however the Taylor neck and ease of play keeps me interested in them.

For years, I have said that I would love to own a guitar that had the Guild sound and the Taylor neck.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newpatch View Post
So, I've been researching 12 strings and Taylor is the only brand I know that has bolt on necks.
My Yamamoto MS-12 has a bolt-on neck.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

* Here's a well-built, solid 12 string with a dove-tail neck joint. Tak sets them at very optimal angles. Every one I've owned, which is several, and the many I've demo'd, have had optimal neck angles when measuring a straight edge fretboard to bridge; having a clearance of 1/32 to 1/16th above the bridge with plenty of saddle, and action at about 3/32 to 2/32.

** I use Martin medium strings and I measure my neck angle etc a several times a year since my guitars take a beating performing nearly 200 shows in the humidity, salt air and coastal environment of the Florida tiki bars and venues I play. My oldest Tak is a 2012 and the measurements are the same as when I bought it new back in '12.

*** In addition, it comes with 1) a killer pickup system so no worries there if ya like to amplify. 2) a split bone saddle that will keep you from having intonation and tuning issues 3) pinless bridge that is solid and bolted so no worries of lifting or keeping up with twelve bridge pins as well as easier string changes 4) beautiful amber-buttoned Gotoh tuners 4) a rigid neck with an ergonomic, asymmetrical, comfy profile... I doubt you'll ever have a reset issue with one of these 5) a super nice hardshell case and the price is $1,350 or less! ...and it sounds awesome!!

Check this baby out! >>> https://www.pacificguitarsales.com/p...ries-12-string
Old 09-21-2019, 07:37 PM

All good points.....

Problem is buying a guitar without seeing it, other than pictures.

But again...all good points I should take into consideration.

newpatch
Old 09-21-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
All good points.....

newpatch
The Tak I linked in my post is from Pacific Guitar Sales, an AGF Sponsor with excellent service, price and return policy if ya don't likey... Jerry the owner is awesome to deal with, jus' make an offer... best wishes in your search!
Old 09-21-2019, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
All good points.....

newpatch
You can usually figure out if the neck needs a reset by asking for relief, action, and saddle height. I always do . . . well, ever since someone sold me a guitar that needed a neck reset. Sigh.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:19 PM

Not for me.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:28 PM

With a 12 I'd definitely consider a bolt on neck when purchasing.
With 6 (specially if light strings are my preference) and a well chosen purchase a neck reset is quite unlikely in my lifetime and I wouldn't let a neck joint sway my choice.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:34 PM

Never a thought for me. If a great guitar needs one in the future, I'll have one done. Do you replace the breaks on your car? Your tires? Things need upkeep and maintenance.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:02 PM

You say "something of value in the future". You should be looking for something of value now.

Buying a guitar as an investment is not the best fiscal strategy. You may buy one that will provide some financial windfall to your heirs but, will they know it?

The one you buy now may do nothing but depreciate in monetary value alone, but does that detract from actual value? No way to know how the market goes.

Any price you pay for a guitar should be thought as the cost of having the enjoyment of playing that guitar now and for hopefully decades to come.

If the guitar should need a neck reset, then so be it. Either pony up several hundred if the guitars a keeper or sell it, consider the difference the fee of enjoyment and buy another that you like. Rinse and repeat, if necessary.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion