The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Pickup for Emerald X-20

I want to put a pickup in my recently acquired (from one of our forum members) Emerald X-20.

I have K&K minis in my other guitars and am happy with them. I have a brand new K&K in a box waiting to be installed. I'm just wondering if there is another pickup system I am overlooking.

I use a Fishman Loudbox Artist and also a Bose Compact. I have both a T1 and a K&K preamp if needed.

(I just got an email from Michael at MacNichols. He recommended the K&K mini or the Lyric)

Thanks in advance

Here are a few pics for fun.

Last edited by Bluside; 06-23-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:52 AM

Firstly, highly recommend that you take Michael's advice on these things as he has installed many pickups in the CF guitars. That said, I would lean toward the K&K because I like the simplicity of the system (no battery pack) and I think the K&K sounds better in the smaller/shallower bodies.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:06 AM

Nice!
No regrets going with K&K minis in my Emeralds. The least amount of modification needed, I've gotten good sound (and having the external pre is nice, but not 100% necessary), no batteries to change or to have knocking around inside the guitar...

I do really like the Mi-Si rechargeable too. Good experience, hassle-free and dependable. I think the K&K has a sonic edge compared to an undersaddle piezo, but the piezoness can be EQ'd out somewhat.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:39 AM
Guest 928

Nice guitar, very similar to my X20-OSN. I had the K&K and liked it enough to have it installed on my Cargo and my X10N. I've found it to be a very clean pickup and superior to the various under-saddle pickups I've tried in the past.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies. I installed the K&K mini today. I'm letting the glue dry overnight before I really have a go at it. But I checked it and everything was working fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber