The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-02-2014, 11:40 AM

Default Couple of string questions from a newbie

I recently bought a Cordoba Fusion 14 RS. It is the first nylon stringed guitar I have owned in my 23 or so years playing and I am really enjoying the guitar overall. I bought it on a whim because I have always liked the sound of nylon and wanted to add that sound to my arsenal and for $299 new it seemed like a great deal so I just pulled the trigger.

After playing it for a week I have a few questions. First off, is it normal for this thing to never stay in tune? I have had it for a week and I read 3-5 days is normal for the strings to break in and hold a tune better. I am a week in and it is getting better but it still won't hold a tune well day to day.

Also can anyone recommend a set of strings for this guitar? I would like to use this guitar just like my steelies and play basically the same music so no classical really. I need to do a set up on it so I figured I might change the strings at the same time.

The guitar says it came strung with Savarez strings. Are these any good? I have noticed a distinct tone difference when I transition picking from the D (wound) to G (unwound) strings. Is this normal for nylon or is my ear just way too used to steel so I am hypersensitive?

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Runner View Post

After playing it for a week I have a few questions. First off, is it normal for this thing to never stay in tune? I have had it for a week and I read 3-5 days is normal for the strings to break in and hold a tune better. I am a week in and it is getting better but it still won't hold a tune well day to day.

Also can anyone recommend a set of strings for this guitar? I would like to use this guitar just like my steelies and play basically the same music so no classical really. I need to do a set up on it so I figured I might change the strings at the same time.

The guitar says it came strung with Savarez strings. Are these any good? I have noticed a distinct tone difference when I transition picking from the D (wound) to G (unwound) strings. Is this normal for nylon or is my ear just way too used to steel so I am hypersensitive?

Thanks for the help.
Classical guitars dont stay in tune for very long time. You will see performers tune a string or two while they are playing.Some brands settle in more quicly than others.
Savarez strings are very good.Of course there are different types like nylon, titaniun, carbon with different sound so experiment.The G nylon string is sometimes thick, try carbon.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:07 PM

Hi, 44Runner! Congratulations on your new guitar!
Nylon strings go out of tune a lot faster than the steel strings. Nylon strings naturally tend to stretch and heavily affected by temperature and and re-tuning (to non-standard tunings for example, if you tune your guitar to drop D from standard you'll notice that after a few minutes it will go to D#).
When I change strings on my classical I put new set in the evening, than tune guitar with tuner every 5 minutes or so for 1 hour (strings will stretch very fast at first, than this process will take more and more time). Then leave it for a night, strings with stretch more, but it will be playable on the next day. Then it will take 3-4 days for strings to settle in completely and it will be ok to play it in concert.
It's hard to give advice about strings though, because this is the matter of personal taste and the only way to find strings exactly for you and your guitar is to try and try.
There are some different material used for classical guitar strings. Nylon is most popular, has warm tone, carbon is more bright, but thinner than nylon and there are some things like nylgut which is trying to recreate qualities of gut strings (which were used on guitars before they started to make nylon strings). And tension has a lot impact on sound too. Lighter tension is easier to play and has warmer tone, while harder tensions are harder to play, but louder and brighter. I play acoustic guitar too and I usually use extra hard tension, because of the volume and tone and also to make it more comfortable to switch from acoustic (12 gauge) to classical.
Savarez is good and popular brand, anyway.
It's a very broad topic, but I hope I gave you general idea about it.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:39 AM

I have a bit of string info on my crossover guitar page:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageGuitarCrossover.html
Old 05-03-2014, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the responses guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I have a bit of string info on my crossover guitar page:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageGuitarCrossover.html
I assume the Savarez strings that came on your Cordoba are most likely the same that came on mine. Sounds like you didn't care for them. It also sounds like you and I are looking for the same thing in our guitars. What strings have been your favorite so far?
Old 05-03-2014, 01:07 PM

If you want the classical guitar to play and sound more like a steel string guitar (although that begs the question "Why buy a classical?) you could try a set of Thomastick "John Pearce Folk" strings. These are quire innovative: the basses are normal silverplated copper wound on nylon multi-filament but the basses are nylon tape wound on a flexible steel rope core. They sound more like steel strings than nylon ones.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:43 PM

As many have said, the D to G difference is is a common problem to overcome with nylon strings. I've tried wound third strings and have felt some improvement, but the Oasis set I now have, with "carbon trebles" is the best I've tried. Youbstill have to re-tune often, but that's the price you ay for the wonderful nylon sound.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 05-03-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Runner View Post
Thanks for the responses guys.

I assume the Savarez strings that came on your Cordoba are most likely the same that came on mine. Sounds like you didn't care for them. It also sounds like you and I are looking for the same thing in our guitars. What strings have been your favorite so far?
The Savarez were OK, with the biggest problem being the cost vs. longevity. The bass wraps wore through in less than two weeks playing.

The D'Addario set as noted is quite good, although the third is a bit to round in tone for me. My evaluation comments are listed on my website, but I'll put a bit more up soon as I've getting ready to try choice #3, D'Addario EJ46C composite basses (hard) combined with T46 titanium trebles (hard).

I got about two months out of the second trial set, which is pretty darned good!
Old 05-04-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthman View Post
If you want the classical guitar to play and sound more like a steel string guitar (although that begs the question "Why buy a classical?) you could try a set of Thomastick "John Pearce Folk" strings. These are quire innovative: the basses are normal silverplated copper wound on nylon multi-filament but the basses are nylon tape wound on a flexible steel rope core. They sound more like steel strings than nylon ones.
Yeah, nylon sound is the whole reason I bought this guitar. My only real gripe is the odd tone transition from the wound D string to the unwound G string.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
As many have said, the D to G difference is is a common problem to overcome with nylon strings. I've tried wound third strings and have felt some improvement, but the Oasis set I now have, with "carbon trebles" is the best I've tried. Youbstill have to re-tune often, but that's the price you ay for the wonderful nylon sound.
I can handle retuning every time I play. I just hate to have to do it every song. I didn't realize the D to G difference was a common problem. Good to know it's not just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The Savarez were OK, with the biggest problem being the cost vs. longevity. The bass wraps wore through in less than two weeks playing.

The D'Addario set as noted is quite good, although the third is a bit to round in tone for me. My evaluation comments are listed on my website, but I'll put a bit more up soon as I've getting ready to try choice #3, D'Addario EJ46C composite basses (hard) combined with T46 titanium trebles (hard).

I got about two months out of the second trial set, which is pretty darned good!
I look forward to your thoughts on the new set.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical