The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Default I changed strings on 5 guitars this weekend.

1 yesterday, the Larrivee. Today I did the following:

Gibson J-45 JP PB lights
Martin D-16 GT Martin Marquis PB lights
Alvarez ap66sb Martin Marquis PB lights
Seagull folk Martin Marquis silk & steel

One thing that was odd was the Marquis PB strings came in a large package that said 3 pack. So I opened the package and instead of 3 individual packaged sets there was just 3 loose sets of strings. I put the unused sets in a sandwich bag, lol.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

Last edited by TBman; 09-22-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I put the unused sets in a sandwich bag, lol.
I did the same thing. Unfortunately, there was a bologna and mustard sandwich in there as well, lol.

I'd like to know what the Silk and Steel does for your Seagull.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:23 PM

Barry, I’m properly impressed. Restringing five guitars is a time-consuming chore. But if you REALLY want to impress me, next week start a thread with the header:

I changed strings on five mandolins this weekend.

Or, more impressive still:

I changed strings on five autoharps this weekend.

If you change strings on even one autoharp, you’ll know what true suffering is....

Seriously, good for you.

Hey, if you feel like swinging by Chugiak, Alaska next weekend, I’ve got a couple of autoharps I’d like to show you....

Wade Hampton “It Would Be ANOTHER Learning Experience For You” Miller
Old 09-23-2019, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

So that was like spending $50, right? I'm just saying ……..

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-23-2019, 07:53 AM

My arch top used to have a tail piece that made restringing very difficult. Got a new one and it takes less than 1/2 the time.

It would probably take me longer to restring one classical guitar than 5-6 steel string guitars. Never quite got the hang of that.

Wish I had one of these as a kid. Between coated strings and this winder, I'm spending much less time restringing.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
My arch top used to have a tail piece that made restringing very difficult. Got a new one and it takes less than 1/2 the time.

It would probably take me longer to restring one classical guitar than 5-6 steel string guitars. Never quite got the hang of that.

Wish I had one of these as a kid. Between coated strings and this winder, I'm spending much less time restringing.
I tried searching SW and couldn't find it. Do you have a link? TIA
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-23-2019, 08:11 AM
Guest 33123

I have 5 restrings coming up two Saturdays from now and I'm not looking forward to it. It's times like these that I wonder why I own 5. Darn GAS!
Old 09-23-2019, 08:14 AM

I picked up the the D'Addario chuck last week and a super geeky Dewalt gyroscopic screwdriver that adjusts wind speed/direction based on slight wrist movements. If you're a tool geek (in addition to being a guitar geek) this thing is really slick. I sat there for 30 minutes just playing with it. Now I can hardly wait to restring a guitar

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 09-23-2019, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

I tend to restring only one or two a day, and enjoy the process which includes and internal inspection (don't!) and an all over clean and polish.

With my little tool set I can do a string change on any six string pretty quickly, if necessary, but haven't timed the process.

Mandolins and 12 strings need time and patience.
Way back in 1999 when I bought my fist Collings, the excellent sales guy had assembled a Martin, a Santa Cruz, and Collings and a Bourgeois for me to play and compare.

After about an hour, I mentioned that it would be nice if they all had the same , new strings on.

"OK, Bring them out (of the soundproofed room) and I'll restring them - what strings would you prefer?"
He disappeared for a short time to get fresh coffees for me, my wife and a semi famous guitarist who just happened to be browsing in the shop, and gave up his day to help me.

Then we stood in amazement as he changed strings on all the guitars (all slot-heads) so quickly, and accurately that I swear there was smoke coming of the machine heads!

Its surprising how quickly you can change strings when you need to.
I've been in the front row twice when a solo performer has broken a string.

One was Guy Davis, and I think the other one was Alvin Youngblood Hart, I did the necessary in the space of one song, and both remarked that their guitars were perfectly in tune when I handed them back.

At home, I have my little tool set which is shown here :

Old 09-23-2019, 08:36 AM

I was really in the mood to change strings this weekend but held off since the strings I had on still had some life.

I broke a string on my Taylor at a gig a couple of months ago and replaced it with an Elixir mid-gig. I finally broke down and put on the other 5 Elixirs on it Saturday.

I got some new Daddario XT's I want to put on my HD-28 but the Lifespan 2.0 set I have on it now still sounds good.

The Martin Retros on my D-18 still have a couple of months life in left in them even though I've got a pretty good stash of Daddario EXP's on standby.

I have a $10 Black and Decker battery powered screwdriver and the attachment shown above; it makes changing strings easy.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 09-23-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
So that was like spending $50, right? I'm just saying ……..
No the Martin strings weren't that much. I bought these strings a while ago too.

My SoundCloud page

Old 09-23-2019, 09:04 AM

Well in the suffering sweepstakes I changed strings on my Seagull 12 string and a Bigsby equipped electric.

I was planning to put a "spoiler" on the Bigsby equipped guitar (a turn of the century DeArmond sort of Guild-a-like). The spoiler from Vibramate has a curved plate that hooks onto the Bigsby pins and then adds a slotted tailpiece for the ball-ends of the strings, making string changes on a Bigsby tailpiece a walk in the park.

Alas, for some reason I couldn't fit the spoiler on the pins of this tailpiece (not an actual Bigsby brand, but a the copy that Fender put on these guitars that came just a bit too soon for the retro Bigsby and odd-ball pickup revival of the 21st century.)

So I reverted to the old bend a kink in the string just ahead of the ball-end and hold that dang string tight as you thread it through the tuner post method. Worked fairly well.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-23-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
So I reverted to the old bend a kink in the string just ahead of the ball-end and hold that dang string tight as you thread it through the tuner post method. Worked fairly well.
Frank,

I cheat and use a capo to hold a string taut while I trim and thread it through the post. I still have to keep a finger on the pin just in case as I bring it up to tension, but I don't feel like I'm wrestling the guitar at least

The capo as a third hand is really helpful when doing a slot head. I changed the strings on my Alvarez just as quickly as the paddle heads.

My SoundCloud page

Old 09-23-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I tried searching SW and couldn't find it. Do you have a link? TIA
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...RoClxkQAvD_BwE
Old 09-23-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Frank,

I cheat and use a capo to hold a string taut while I trim and thread it through the post. I still have to keep a finger on the pin just in case as I bring it up to tension, but I don't feel like I'm wrestling the guitar at least
Ding! Ding! Ding! Here's a good idea!
The added advantage is, the less the new string flops around, the less chance there is to cause abrasion to the wood.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion