The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post
In support of the OP, sometimes I like to avoid "a hundred threads" just to get an opinion or two. Information overload is a burden sometimes.
I figured I'd try a search on Thumb picks, which is what the OP seems to be asking about. I thought '.... ah, there can't be that many discussions about Blue Chip thumb picks....". But, I was wrong, ha ha. This is just the list from the page one search results. Yes, a bit overwhelming, LOL. But I had been thinking about this topic the past few days, so I'll dive in and read these.

And Thanks Ray for the great info on Red Bear.

Blue Chip Thumb Picks - The Acoustic Guitar Forum
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...owthread.php?t...
I was on the Blue Chip website looking at thumb picks. How does one choose a thumb pick? Especially an expensive one that you don't want to ...

Blue Chip thumbpicks? - The Acoustic Guitar Forum
HI, Yes, I use a Blue Chip exclusively......love it! It took a LONG time to get my right combination for what I play. I used Golden Gate thumb picks ...

Trimming back Blue Chip thumb picks... - The Acoustic Guitar Forum
I just bought a couple of Blue Chip thumb picks (Model JD-M) and they are quite cool. I like that the metal thumb strap it a comfortable fit and ...

Blue Chip Thumbpick Sizing/Selection Advice - The Acoustic Guitar ...
I want to give a Blue Chip thumb pick a try. I've been really impressed with the grip, glide, and tone I get with my BC flatpick. Would like to clarify ...

Fred Kelly vs. Blue Chip - A Thumbpick Review - The Acoustic Guitar ...
I picked up the Blue Chip a few months ago and thought it'd be nice to give a review of it. I'm comparing it to the Kelly (my gold standard) for ...

BLue Chip JD-M thumb pick - The Acoustic Guitar Forum
How long does it take to get used to a thumb pick ? At the advice of posters, Igot a Blue Chip JD-M. I love the pick and as I am sitting here ...

Thumb Picks... - The Acoustic Guitar Forum
I'm going to try to venture into the world of thumb picks. ... But I have been playing with the same Blue Chip thumb pick for over 10 years.

Recomend Me a Bluechip Thumbpick General Acoustic Guitar Discussion.
Is there a thumb pick you would recommend? - The Acoustic Guitar ...

I didn't like Dunlops at all. Have settled in with Fred Kellly slick picks. I ordered a Blue Chip thumppick and have been slowly trying to bend it ...
In search of a thumb pick that also works well for flat picking - The ...

A little pricey but the blue chip thumb pick is awesome and is comfortable to use for flat picking as well. Of all the thumb picks I have tried over ...

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 09-22-2019, 09:16 PM

I've never used a thumbpick. I bought a couple BC's about 5 years back. They were just ok. Meanwhile I tried many other picks and found the best all around pick for me is a Wegen M200 (2.0 mm rounded triangle). The feel and tone just suit me. I thought "maybe my BC's just aren't thick enough?" I contacted Matt Goins about it and he said yes, he made 2.0 mm Bluechips in several shapes, however, they cost $50 because of the extra thickness. Ran into him at Wintergrass in February and he sold me a couple thick picks for $40 each. He and his brother are both really nice guys, and I tried to love my new picks. They're better than the old thinner ones I have, they sound good, feel good - but they're still not as good as the Wegen's for me.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:27 AM

I bought 2, the larger TAD 50, and they sent me 3, not sure why I got a bonus one. They feel great in your hand, definitely don't shift like other picks do, and the difference in tone is remarkable. But, I just didn't like them for strumming, a bit too bright for my guitars. Playing single note stuff sounds good, but I'm back to my med dunlops which I hold sideways for a warmer over all sound.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 08-08-2020, 05:39 AM

Default Gobsmackingly good

I’ve got the jazz 80 (2mm) with LH bevelling. It’s stunning. Floors the gravity gold, Ibanez JTC, Wegen gypsy and davas and even my beloved Dunlop 2mm ultex, which I used to bevel. Speed, tone, durability massively improved. Mine cost $50 but think about it, a violinist wouldn’t use a 10 dollar bow on a ten grand instrument. So why should we on guitars 2 grand up...,? This pick is amazing on my Taylor 414, 314, 314-n, ga7, my gypsy Manouche, epiphone with 11s and Gibson LP with 10s as well as shred machine Ibanez with 9s! This is the best pick I’ve ever used...
Old 08-08-2020, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolbury View Post
I bought 2, the larger TAD 50, and they sent me 3, not sure why I got a bonus one. They feel great in your hand, definitely don't shift like other picks do, and the difference in tone is remarkable. But, I just didn't like them for strumming, a bit too bright for my guitars. Playing single note stuff sounds good, but I'm back to my med dunlops which I hold sideways for a warmer over all sound.
Obviously an error on theirv part. You should disrribute your ill begotten wealth to the poor!
Old 08-08-2020, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Can't speak p3ersonally of the thumpicks but a good frind and greatv dobro player was given one byb his kids and he loves it.

I use BC flat picks, at least one per guitar. TAD40, TAD50 and RAD503r fdor mandolin.

As Scott says great people to deal with.

The product in my mind is sijply the best on the market.

An oft mentionsed issue is rthe fear of losing a $35 pick.

Firstly humans are funny critters but they are far less likely to lose a high value item than a disposable one.

My methodology was to get pick boxes which were even more precious than the picks ! Each guitar has these boxes in the guitar case and packinbg up entails tuner, capo and BC pick in the pick boxx THEN the guitar. It's a kind of system.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

I now have (2) TAD60 picks made by BC. I really like the feel and sound for strumming and flatpicking. The bevels are very nice and the material gives a lush sound that is warm. It subdues the highs just enough to prevent any screechiness (is that a word?) but makes individual notes sound better and more natural, up and down the neck, to my ears. I am also finding these picks to work great for recording.

The TAD60 is a heavier gauge (1.5mm) large triangle. I got these in particular for bluegrass, fiddle tunes and country flatpicking. The fact that I really like them for strumming is only a welcome plus.

I am also playing on dread sized guitars almost all the time.

I typically use a standard shape pick and DO prefer a more pronounced point at the tip than the tips on the large triangle BC's I have...That's why I have considered ordering a couple of their standard shape 1.5mm picks to pair with the TAD60's, but I think I will hold off because for the price I am already very happy with the Dunlop Primetones in 1.5mm. Just my personal take.

I would recommend owning a BC and trying it for yourself. You may love it or you may not, but at least you will know for sure. If you don't like it, you are only out $40 and will receive a lesson learned. Good luck
Old 08-08-2020, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Absolutely Fantastic Thumbpicks.
I have been Using Thumbpicks for nearly 50 years.
*They have the most comfortable Band. To my ears, for my playing style, they give the most amazing tone as well.
*Nearly indestructible, ....and I play hard with a slightly heavier medium gauge set.
* Customer service is amazing. They will custom make the blade to your shape and length noted. Just call them and they will accommodate at no extra charge.
The Best guitar accessory investment I have ever made.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The way I’ve dealt with the fear of losing a Blue Chip pick is to buy one of the little wooden pick boxes with the Blue Chip logo on it, and keep the pick (along with some celluloid picks) in the box when it’s not in use. I’ve made that part of my post-performance ritual, where I make sure to tuck the Blue Chip pick away in its box and then put the box in the guitar or mandolin case pocket once I’m done playing.

That works for me.

whm
Thanks, Wade. You just cost me ten bucks.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Firstly humans are funny critters but they are far less likely to lose a high value item than a disposable one.
Truly. I've been using Montblanc Meisterstuck pens for years. (My main gig is as a writer these days.) My students often ask whether I'm afraid of losing them. The reality is that you will lose the 25˘ Bic pen a thousand times easier than you'll ever lose a $500+ Meisterstuck.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Thanks, Wade. You just cost me ten bucks.
Those boxes smell good, too. Agreed with Wade, without some kind of a ritualized process, these picks are goners given how absent-minded I am.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

The pen analogy is valid. When something is worth something, you pay attention. Ever lose a $100 bill?

Only you can know by trying them if you will like them. I do, but still use a fair number of Wegens, because I like to have a pick kept in the strings of every instrument. I like buying them with one rounded point.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-08-2020, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

I like blue chip picks a lot, have several. A wonderful alternative to TS in so many ways.

What tickles me though is how many folks have no problem whatsoever in “losing” $35-40 regularly over a round or 2 of beers with da boys in a pub, or a bottle of low to mid range wine with dinner (marked up about 2-4x from wholesale at least, btw), but go absolutely bananas at the idea of losing a BC. I mean, the cost of these picks is likely the number one most repeated comment in any discussion.

Just curious to me, and of no consequence really.

And don’t get me started on buying brand new motor vehicles - how many BC’s do you lose driving off the lot?

Oh, I like ultex and tortex as well. Buy them in the 10 packs, cheap!

How much was a set of TI strings again, and how often do they get “thrown away”?

Consumables, a term I learned at work.

So glad I’m not a violinist, dem bows gets pricey!

Just scattershooting on a Saturday night fellas. Proceed!
Old 08-09-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
I like blue chip picks a lot, have several. A wonderful alternative to TS in so many ways.

What tickles me though is how many folks have no problem whatsoever in “losing” $35-40 regularly over a round or 2 of beers with da boys in a pub, or a bottle of low to mid range wine with dinner (marked up about 2-4x from wholesale at least, btw), but go absolutely bananas at the idea of losing a BC. I mean, the cost of these picks is likely the number one most repeated comment in any discussion.

Just curious to me, and of no consequence really.

And don’t get me started on buying brand new motor vehicles - how many BC’s do you lose driving off the lot?

Oh, I like ultex and tortex as well. Buy them in the 10 packs, cheap!

How much was a set of TI strings again, and how often do they get “thrown away”?

Consumables, a term I learned at work.

So glad I’m not a violinist, dem bows gets pricey!

Just scattershooting on a Saturday night fellas. Proceed!
Totally agree, and add to that the guys who spend 3 to 4 grand on a high end Taylor or Gibson yet balk at the idea of a worthy high end pick! Befuddled be I about that particular perspective!
Old 08-09-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Dijohn View Post
I am thinking of getting a thumbtack by Blue Chip Picks. It costs $40 (!!) plus shipping,

Anybody here used one? Worth it?
Gee. I didn't know Blue-chip made thumbtacks.
40 is a lot for a thumbtacks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion