The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2019, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Default What do you do to make sure your guitar strap stays on

I generally play sitting on a stool, but recently I’ve been doing more playing standing. At one time I had a bad experience of my guitar strap slipping off the end pin and another time slipping of the strap pin to the right of the neck. So, to avoid unwanted strap slips, what do you do? All of my instruments have pickups so I there is the output jack acting as an end pin. I have no desire to add a “strap loc” in addition to the existing end pin.
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 01-10-2019, 10:09 PM

First, in over 30 years of performing I've never had a strap come off a output jack so you should be pretty safe. Next, because of that extensive performing, I have an output jack & I install a Schaller strap lock on the performing guitars so that my strap never pulls on the jack or cord. One of our sponsors just showed a photo of their solution to this. It is a metal piece that screws onto the output jack threads and has a second strap button on it. You might look that up. I think it came out today in our threads.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:14 PM

Some have used a Grolsch beer cap washer. Fender now sells them. They are not as good as a strap lock but work quite well.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...-blocks-4-pack
Old 01-10-2019, 10:59 PM

I've been using this...
http://www.tapastring.com/strapkeeper0605.htm
Old 01-10-2019, 11:24 PM

I have Schaller strap locks on all of my electrics, but have never really felt the need for them on my acoustics. The position of the strap button on the underside of the heel kind of keeps it in place there, and I normally only wear a strap when performing and plugged in, and the cable jack keeps it from coming off.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:42 AM

If you are not playing plugged in, seek out a Strap Jack. It is a plastic 1/4 " jack with a wide flat top. Once inserted into your guitar body via the socket where a guitar cord jack would go, your strap is now quite secure as the top of the Strap Jack is up against the strap.

For the front of the strap, Planet Waves make a football shaped strap pin. If you mount it where your present round pin is mounted, SIDEWAYS, the strap is far less likely to slip off.

I believe Elderly Instruments carries both of these products.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:58 AM

Why the adversity to straplocks?
I did have the strap pull off the Taylor end pin-jack one time, pulled the plug with it, luckily I caught it on time.
I then tried the Tapastring, which is a folded piece of leather that slips through the strap hole, then clinches to the jack pin. It worked, but was very hard to remove, so I would end up leaving it on all the time, folding the strap on top of the strings when in the case - not terribly convenient.
So I had straplocks installed with the end one just offset from the Taylor battery compartment 'door'. Peace of mind!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-11-2019, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

I play standing up so use a strap all the time. For the jack side I'm plugged in so no worries about that side slipping off. If I'm not playing amplified I'll still plug in my little Bluetooth wireless Xvive transmitter. On the top side I always replace (or install on guitars with no front pin) the Planet Waves brass strap buttons. The groove is more squared off with sharp edges vs. the rounded of most stock pins. I've never had a strap come off one of these.

D'Addario Planet Waves Metal Guitar Strap Buttons
Old 01-11-2019, 09:02 AM

How 'bout these?

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...goryTopSellers
Old 01-11-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Some have used a Grolsch beer cap washer. Fender now sells them. They are not as good as a strap lock but work quite well.

ditto, works very well
Old 01-11-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:

The Grolsch washers definitely work. The toughest part is drinking the Grolsch, as it tastes like a skunk's bathwater.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-11-2019, 09:34 AM

I dropped a 1928 Martin 0028 straight down to a concrete floor when the strap popped off the endpin. The impact break was so bad it broke the top across the grain. All it takes is an inadvertent twist in the strap to pull it off an ordinary end pin. I use those rubber washers for regular strap pins and a threaded replacement nut for the endpin-pickup jack, with an expanded flange to hold the strap on.

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...ap_Secure.html

You only have to lose a guitar once to get serious about this.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 01-11-2019, 09:58 AM

I did have an issue with the end pin slipping out...and almost a floor drop.Quick reflexes.Martin pins are not glued in, the hole had become less secure.I solved that with some shaved mahogany wood strips into the hole.When i strap on,always check the pin now.
Never an issue with the strap slipping out...but this thread has motivated me to use some of the of grolsch washers i saved.idk why i haven't done this sooner.I have a mountain of them.

Last edited by rogue3; 01-11-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Tapastring works like a charm but if you do not want a strap lock then I think your options might be limited. I find the Tapastring the least invasive of the strap lock options out there - soft leather and a pretty lightweight plastic disc. Just sayin'

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-11-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:

I just checked these out and wonder if a gasket/washer from the plumbing aisle would work, too? I believe I have a few floating around the house, but it never occurred to me to try them as strap lock thingies.

I recently had a scary incident with my most expensive Martin, when the official Martin guitar strap slipped off the button of the official Martin guitar headstock strap I'm using. The guitar almost crashed to the ground. Luckily, I was able to catch it. I was not pleased. You'd think that Martin thoroughly test-drives the accessories they sell. Apparently not.

Edit: I just googled "Grolsch Beer Cap Washer" and realized what those are. I guess I'm going to get me a few Grolschs from the specialty liquor store on my drive home and tackle this guitar project over the weekend...

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 01-11-2019 at 12:50 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion