The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-25-2016, 02:32 PM

Now for the turn of the top.Again some of the braces have been placed and are awaiting shaping

You can also see the bridge plate being glued into position

And finally whilst all this is settling in, and awaiting the glue to dry properly Ted managed to start bending one of the inner sides for the lamination to the BRW side.Ted uses Mahogany for the inner sides as it matches the heel and neck block and is lightweight.
Glimpses of Teds stockpile in the background.

Last edited by Scottish0177; 07-10-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:02 AM

Beautiful pictures of what looks to be a beautiful instrument! Always loved Ted's work. Can't wait to see the rest of it be created!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
www.treehouseguitars.com
www.facebook.com/treehouseguitars
Old 12-27-2016, 10:45 AM

Hi Zachary,Glad you like Teds work and his photography, and that you are going to be following the build.Its always great for others to take an interest and although i am going to be the owner, it must make Ted and other Luthiers very happy when they receive great feedback on their work.Vindication of all that hard work i guess.
If you don't mind me saying so either the work you have been doing looks fantastic too.Ive just spent a good half hour on your site admiring your work...Obviously another very talented individual during a time when handbuilt guitars are really beginning to shine.
Love that Copper dust trail inlay work..nice to see something original, and executed perfectly..well done, keep up the good work
From an unusually mild day in Scotland.
Scott

Last edited by Scottish0177; 01-02-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:21 PM

Thanks so much for sharing these. I love Ted and his work. I can't wait to see more as the build progresses!
Old 12-31-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish0177 View Post
Hi Zachary,Glad you like Teds work and his photography, and that you are going to be following the build.Its always great for others to take an interest and although i am going to be the owner, it must make Ted and other Luthiers very happy when they receive great feedback on their work.Vindication of all that hard work i guess.
If you don't mind me saying so either the work you have been doing looks fantastic too.Ive just spent a good half hour on your site admiring your work...Obviously another very talented individual during a time when handbuilt guitars are really beginning to shine (folks do yourself a favour and check Zachary's work out at http://www.treehouseguitars.com/
Love that Copper dust trail inlay work..nice to see something original, and executed perfectly..well done, keep up the good work
From an unusually mild day in Scotland
Scott

Thanks Scott! Really appreciate the positive comments about my work!

If there is one thing I have learned about the luthier community it's that there is so much support for eachother as luthiers; a huge portion of us see eachother almost as co-workers, not competition (of course there are a few exceptions but I've found that for the most part). It is an amazing community to be a part of and to be recognized amongst some of the world's top luthiers in this day and age of lutherie is an amazing feeling! We are without a doubt a big group of friends, though, and that is such a great thing for eachother and to advance the field of lutherie to new limits.

Again thanks for the kind words and I hope you have a great New Year, Scott!

-Zach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
www.treehouseguitars.com
www.facebook.com/treehouseguitars
Old 01-06-2017, 02:34 PM

Ted back to work after festivities and already hard at it.

One of the Brazilian sides being bent....Ted said that during this part of the process the shop filled with a wonderful aroma from the natural oils contained within the BRW being heated and released.

And the process of laminating the sides begins

Last edited by Scottish0177; 07-10-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:55 PM

Hey,I am posting as and when i get anything from Ted so here is the next one..The sides are bent and laminated...This shows the neck and end block being glued on.Beginning to take her shape now

Last edited by Scottish0177; 07-10-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:01 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

loving following along with this build! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottish0177 View Post
Hey,I am posting as and when i get anything from Ted so here is the next one..The sides are bent and laminated...This shows the neck and end block being glued on.Beginning to take her shape now

Aye, she's a sexy lass thus far
Old 01-10-2017, 08:32 AM

Loving this thread! Clean work as ever from Ted.

On a side note, can someone explain to me the reason for the notches in the spreader blocks (on the inside against the side)? This is the second time i've seen this and as such its piqued my interest, they clearly are there for a reason, but i can't thing what that reason would be.

David
Old 01-10-2017, 10:26 AM

Congratulations and a very happy new year!

Those pics are exquisite, a wonderful record of the process that really highlights Ted's world-class levels of craftsmanship.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Congratulations and a very happy new year!

Those pics are exquisite, a wonderful record of the process that really highlights Ted's world-class levels of craftsmanship.

Hey Michael...yep, Ted's photography as good as ever and really shows that both photography and guitar building is an art form in its own right...it really makes you appreciate the craftsmanship and skill that luthiers have in order to produce a world class instrument.

Hoping you are all settled into the new shop and all is well

Look forward to hearing what you do with this when it arrives.

Last edited by Scottish0177; 01-14-2017 at 02:44 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:40 AM

Thanks for posting this thread Scott and thanks everybody who's following the process. I'll try to chime in whenever I can if anyone has any questions!
Old 01-12-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsone View Post
Loving this thread! Clean work as ever from Ted.

On a side note, can someone explain to me the reason for the notches in the spreader blocks (on the inside against the side)? This is the second time i've seen this and as such its piqued my interest, they clearly are there for a reason, but i can't thing what that reason would be.

David
Hi David,
The notches in the spreader blocks do have a purpose, however not for this build.
I now mostly build with double-sides but in the past when I have used a single side construction I have used side reinforcements. The little notches in the spreaders are simply there to allow some room for a side reinforcement brace.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:54 PM

Hi folks...time for some more photos

Kerfing being prepared and glued.Ted uses reversed kerfing, however he also cuts notches by hand on the other side too.Ted has said that this makes the kerfing easy to bend and work with and who am i to argue..

And one showing the completed rim.Next step is to prepare everything for gluing the top and back on... An eye for detail and super clean work from Ted as always

Take it easy
Scott

Last edited by Scottish0177; 07-10-2017 at 03:43 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop