The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 01:14 PM

Nice piece guys...the shop looked real nice. Nice to see and hear from you guys on video like that. Shame that the best guitar in history wasn't there, but it still was pretty good.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

And the elusive Ryan was also caught on camera!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-06-2015, 02:39 PM

Default 'Kinnaird Guitar Owners' on FaceBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
TOM!! CONGRATS ON YOUR BEAUTY!! Sorry for the belated response as I've been (and still am) caught up with exams. I'm glad to hear that it sounds amazing too! And you have more photos on your FaceBook?? Think it's only fair you link us to it too )) hope you find the time in your busy schedule to enjoy this creation.
Marcus... You can find the site at 'Kinnaird Guitar Owners' on FaceBook.
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 11-07-2015, 01:19 PM

Have finally gotten some time to play....this guitar is pretty darned amazing. The sustain is forever, the tone even, the trebles crisp. My playing sounds better than ever (and that takes a lot) and I have already started to learn a fingerstyle song that I have been meaning to take on for several months and the Kinnaird SJ has prompted me to have at it.

Steve told me it would start to come alive with a few days of tension and it really has....it is taking on that orchestral feel.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:45 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Wish I could hear it live. Sounds wonderful. Happy for ya Tom. It's a great feelin' ain't it? Congrats again. Looking forward to Springtime.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:15 PM

Wow , that is a beauty. Great appointments and love the Koa Binding.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:18 PM

Default When...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Have finally gotten some time to play....this guitar is pretty darned amazing. The sustain is forever, the tone even, the trebles crisp. My playing sounds better than ever (and that takes a lot) and I have already started to learn a fingerstyle song that I have been meaning to take on for several months and the Kinnaird SJ has prompted me to have at it.

Steve told me it would start to come alive with a few days of tension and it really has....it is taking on that orchestral feel.
When you've played good guitars all your life, isn't it amazing when you get a hold of a great guitar?
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 11-07-2015, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Very happy for you, Tom!! Looking forward to additional reports as the guitar continues to break in.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-07-2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:

PARTY ON, GARTH!!! So happy that you are happy.

Enjoy in good.

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 11-08-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Wish I could hear it live. Sounds wonderful. Happy for ya Tom. It's a great feelin' ain't it? Congrats again. Looking forward to Springtime.
I was thinking that earlier, we were what, 2 weeks off....It would have been fantastic to have all three of those guitars in the same room....we would have had quite a blast and the smiles would have been painful!!! I also am looking forward to a get together this spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubade Acoustics View Post
Wow , that is a beauty. Great appointments and love the Koa Binding.
Thank you very much, in person this guitar is just wonderful...the appointments are just right, it has just the right amount of bling for me, really pretty, but not over-the-top at all. In fact it is pretty subtle when taken in its entirety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuckerRE View Post
When you've played good guitars all your life, isn't it amazing when you get a hold of a great guitar?
So funny you would say that, as after a couple of hours of playing time this morning, that is exactly what I was thinking. I just emailed Steve and told him this very thing really. I am hearing things in my music that I have been playing for years, that I never heard before. And believe me, my talent level did not just improve magically!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Very happy for you, Tom!! Looking forward to additional reports as the guitar continues to break in.
I will continue to report in and you will get to play this in the future!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
PARTY ON, GARTH!!! So happy that you are happy.

Enjoy in good.

Chris
Thanks, I highly recommend you keep that SKT in your future plans!!!
Old 11-09-2015, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

It's been a while since I've checked back into AGF. This guitar turned out absolutely gorgeous! Even though I horse traded my way into the SKT guitar family, I don't plan on ever leaving. Welcome to the family!
Old 11-11-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
It's been a while since I've checked back into AGF. This guitar turned out absolutely gorgeous! Even though I horse traded my way into the SKT guitar family, I don't plan on ever leaving. Welcome to the family!
Thanks Nootis,

Appreciate the comments, it is really fantastic to play, the sound, ohh the sound.....

Been looking at your closet again lately....I now have quite a bit of $ in guitars now, been thinking that a closet is the way to go. I was thinking more of a free standing cabinet that I could move and take with me rather than a built in....gotta think some more.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:17 PM

Hey everyone, just a quick update...loving the sound of the Kinnaird SJ. It is very responsive to the touch and I am getting so much more out of my playing!!! Love it!!!

I did a little fun test yesterday, had it in drop D tuning, struck the low D firmly with a pick, and 42 seconds later, I was no longer able to hear the sound, I am wondering if I should complain to the Kinnaird shop because one of the things I asked for was a lot of sustain....
Old 12-15-2015, 06:42 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:

I did a little fun test yesterday, had it in drop D tuning, struck the low D firmly with a pick, and 42 seconds later, I was no longer able to hear the sound...
ONLY 42 seconds???

Tell ya what, send it back and I'm sure somebody will take it off their hands out of sheer kindness ha!

Fact is Tom, I've never done a test like that before, and I can't even imagine a guitar ringing for that long. In fact, I'm scared to try that with any of mine for fear that I might be disappointed. You and the Kinnaird boys have set the bar really high! WOWSER!!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 12-15-2015, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

That's an amazing amount of sustain!! That low-rumbly drop D sound is awesome. Must have sounded like a gong!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop