The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2018, 06:14 PM

Lot's of perfect guitars out there. Why settle for one that is a disappointment?

I would send it back based on what you have described.
various basses and uprights
Old 05-26-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apell View Post
Howdy,
I'm trying to decide if the used Santa Cruz F I just bought is worth the money to get repaired.

I purchased it online. A top crack along the seam below the bridge to the end was disclosed but I was told it had been repaired. Not so.

Arrived in a non-original hardshell used case, but it's jumbo size so the guitar sloshes around. Not disclosed.

The end pin had been removed and the hole reamed out to install a jack for a pickup. There was no jack, no endpin, but there was a 1/2" hole in the tailpiece. Not disclosed.

So, I contacted the store (obviously) and expressed my displeasure. They refunded shipping cost so I could get a NoJak endpin from Stew-Mac. Fine.
They also said their tech would repair the crack.

I contacted Santa Cruz and the repairs needed, a replacement case, and shipping costs I'm looking at a further outlay of between $750 and $1000. A chunk of change added to the $ I spent on the guitar, which wasn't huge, but the total would be about $3500 for everything.

I love the feel and sound of the guitar. But I'm ticked off. And probably wouldn't've purchased it had I known beforehand. Looking on the site, I can see that F models are few and far between.. But I can pick up a used OM in near-perfect shape for $3500.

So, what to do? What would you do? Do I NEED it? No. Do I want it? Yes. But......
Just return the guitar; it is not as advertised.

On the other hand, deepending® on how you paid for the instrument you may be able to get your money back and keep the guitar, legally. Not a SCGC, but I had a repair situation with a Linhof (not the guitar maker) and was able to get both my money back and the repair for free (including a very expensive part - the bellows).
Old 05-26-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
...On the other hand, deepending® on how you paid for the instrument you may be able to get your money back and keep the guitar, legally.
Not sure how it could ever be legal - but it would never be ethical. If you don't want it, you simply return it.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:40 PM

I'm not signing on that dotted line. How is it gonna be OK to get his money back *and keep the guitar? Nah. What's right is right. Just because he got screwed, doesn't mean to take it to the next level and try to "win" at all costs.

He hit the nail on the head, if you don't want it, get your money back (and return the guitar.....)

Also count me as one of the ones who's dying to know if this is from GC like someone else is asking... if the price is really low as he stated, it makes it a little less offensive. but not much. (my gut is telling me it sounds like behavior that wouldn't surprise me from them; i've been very tolerant to a point but pretty fed up with GC lately, from the setup which ... didn't set anything up... to... other issues ). Just wanna know where to avoid, but chances are its not somewhere I'd go anyway, but you never know.
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 05-26-2018, 09:45 PM

If it is GC, the price was really good. I won’t quote it as the owner may not want it known. I’ll let him do that.

When my brother in law called about it, he was told they couldn’t even photograph the crack because it was repaired so well. I figured at that price there was a reason it was that price. I’d just be scared of a cracked top like that.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:31 AM

It is cracked centre-seam i.e. the glued joint separated. OK, that leads to a crack in the finish but it is not as bad as a crack in the wood.

I'd have to look at it and consider it with respect to the price paid to decide on whether to send it back or not. What the consensus on a reasonable used price for a Model F without issues? $3500? If OP paid $2000 and repair comes to $1000, it is doable, especially since he likes how it sounds and plays.

The issues are mainly cosmetic, not serious structural issues. If Model Fs are easily found used I guess I would return it.

The endpin jack hole is unfortunate but not a deal breaker. Plug it with a Larrivee or Bob Colosi endpin plug and you are made whole. Or have SCGC plug it up with a dowel while it is back in the workshop. It is an unfortunate observation that many used guitars come with these stupid endpin jack holes for now-removed transducers that seemed like a good idea at the time...

The SCGC Ameritage case is heavy as sin. Nobody seriously uses one of these things to tote it around town. Get a Hiscox Pro 2 for it from MF on a sale instead. They are always on sale at MF and you can get at least 10% off the $279 retail price and obtain Backstage $ Points for them other things. A non-original case is not really an issue with the guitar as long as the guitar was not damaged by it not fitting properly. I'd ask for some compensation for the non-original case.

If there are no other serious issues-and it appears that there are none- I would take a $500 to $600 refund on the $2500 paid and just send it to SCGC to get it repaired. They will make it and you whole. Edit: please ensure that there are no issues with the truss rod. If there is, send it back for a full refund immediately.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 05-27-2018 at 03:41 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:24 AM

In my humble opinion, I would simply send it back.

I know I would not want to deal with the aggravation, expense, and risk of additional damage of sending it to SCGC for repairs.

To me, the aggravation and time lost waiting for the repairs would not be worth it.

m
Old 05-27-2018, 04:49 AM

apell, has your issue been resolved one way or another?
Old 05-27-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Not sure how it could ever be legal - but it would never be ethical. If you don't want it, you simply return it.
I wasn't the one to make the final determination, I was just the receiver of such. Trust me, it was a major financial institution (with a room full of lawyers) who made the determination.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
I wasn't the one to make the final determination, I was just the receiver of such. Trust me, it was a major financial institution (with a room full of lawyers) who made the determination.

This usually happens when one company just acts like a big turd.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:28 PM
G625 mistral-k

Wow, sorry to read about the troubles you are having on what should normally be an enjoyable experience.

Given the lack of "truthiness" from the seller, I would not send it back for their tech to repair. They simply have no credibility at this point and you have no idea of the quality of work which would be performed. I would take pictures of the damage, send them along with a description of the damage to SCGC and request an estimated quote.

I would then request the seller refund the cost of the repairs, the cost of the end pin, and the cost of a new guitar case which fits your SGSC. If the seller denies the request, send it back for a full refund.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
This usually happens when one company just acts like a big turd.
Perhaps so, but the repair facility screwed up big time and would not budge on what would have been a very inexpensive fix. Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion