The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
The reason most are suggesting Yamaha is they are consistently good which is not so common with the others in you list. And the Yammies sound very good at that price point. It would be difficult to be disappointed in them.
This^.

There is a lot of competition in every price range. But the Yamaha's have been a pretty safe choice in the $200 and under price range for a long time. I don't even think twice when somebody asks about an inexpensive guitar. Yamaha.

As for used, if you are just starting out yourself you may not notice if something is wrong with a guitar. (Mind you, hang around here long enough and you will see that even Martin's and Gibson's that sell for ten times the price of the FS800 Yammi sometimes have issues. No sure things, unfortunately).
Old 05-26-2018, 08:34 AM

Yamaha

If funds are tight. Buy one guitar at first. Share at different times to build your fingertips. When funds improve, buy another.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:15 PM

I greatly appreciate all the information everyone here has given me!

Without your advice I would probably be ordering a pair of these this weekend instead of waiting until I can afford a better pair of guitars that would sound and play better:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...coustic-guitar

My 11 year old and I thank you!!!

TripleB
Old 05-27-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
I greatly appreciate all the information everyone here has given me!

Without your advice I would probably be ordering a pair of these this weekend instead of waiting until I can afford a better pair of guitars that would sound and play better:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...coustic-guitar

My 11 year old and I thank you!!!

TripleB
Yes, they are cheap but they don't sound or play very well. Good guitars.......................................to stay away from.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:53 PM

My current thinking (after deciding tonight that when I envision me playing guitar, I see myself with an acoustic in my hands):

Purchase a slightly smaller and cheaper guitar like the following Epiphone PRO-1 for my son (reduced body depth, shorter scale length, smaller neck) until he proves that playing the guitar is something he is going to commit to: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphon...stic-Guitar.gc

Purchase me a slightly better guitar like one of the following:
Yamaha F335 https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/...stic-Guitar.gc

Yamaha FG800 https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/...stic-Guitar.gc

Yamaha FS800 https://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha/...stic-Guitar.gc

Then once he proves he is going to continue to play and grows a little more from his 5'2" 140 pounds (11 years old) frame, I can either move him up to my guitar or more than likely let him pick out a new better quality guitar than the PRO-1 above.

So, how bad is that idea?

Thanks!

TripleB
Old 05-31-2018, 04:42 AM

Sounds like a good plan. If the 3 that I posted for yourself I’d got with one of the 800 myself. The other has a laminated top. There’s a lot of debate about if laminated back and sides effects sound but there’s no argument that a solid top is far better than a laminated
Good luck and have fun playing
Old 05-31-2018, 09:20 AM

Well here is another vote for two Yamaha's. Great guitars for the price and will serve both of you well for a long time to come.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:14 PM

Default 11 Year Old and Dad's 1st Guitars Advice?

This is a really good thing you’re doing. I’m happy to see a dad taking interest in an activity they can do together. The world needs more dads like this.

Last edited by jojobean39; 06-01-2018 at 04:50 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
This is a really good thing you’re doing. I’m happy to see a dad taking interest in an activity they can do together. The world needs more dad’s like this.
Thank you!!!

I was happy to see him get excited about something other than video games, reading, and YouTube videos! I've always wanted to learn how to play the guitar...what better way than with your son!

TripleB
Old 06-01-2018, 05:41 AM

I started playing when I was about 8. I bought a cheap pawn shop guitar. My father saw I was interested in it and got me my first “real” guitar for Christmas later that year- a Fender Squier Strat. I loved it. Took lessons.

My father took a lot of interest in my hobby. I started playing in church and in bands and he was my sound guy. He would take me to different cities and look at music stores- as my city didn’t/doesn’t have that many good ones. He bought me my first really nice acoustic, which started this obsession I currently have.

25+ years later, we still share that interest. I still play and he still runs sound. This is literally something you can enjoy together for the rest of your lives.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:21 PM

If you decided to go with a Yamaha, Kraft offers a number of bundles which usually go for a very competitive price -

https://www.kraftmusic.com/yamaha-fg...ls-bundle.html
Old 06-01-2018, 01:32 PM

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...36613000001000

I'd almost bet this would be a great little starter guitar for a young'un. I'd like to have one myself just for kicks. Comes with a hardshell case too! Solid wood, bone nut and saddle. Stupid deal of the day, so only good for today...or until next sdod. $400
Old 06-01-2018, 04:24 PM

My advice and may be a repeat since I didn't read every post.

1) The Yamaha or an Alvarez would be a good starting point. I paid $200 for an Alvarez Dread that is a well build, easy to play guitar with great tone.

2) Make sure your son pays part of the purchase price. He needs to have some skin in the game. This means mowing the lawn, keeping is room clean, helping his mom with the dishes or cleaning out the garage. If he has contributed toward the purchase price and feels a sense of ownership versus just having someone hand him a gift, he will most likely be more interested in learning to play.

If not, you can pay him back for his financial interest in the guitar and have a nice campfire guitar or a loaner to another family member or friend.

I have my first acoustic (Giulietti Acoustic that I got in the late 60s (0 size with laminate back and sides) and I have it on loan along with my Larrivee Parlor to the right person.

I will let them play my Martins under my supervison at my house if they show interest.

Last edited by Teherie; 06-01-2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-21-2018, 10:55 PM

Seagull guitars - manufactured in Canada - make a good selection for a beginner. They're well built. Sound & play great. The S6 model is a good choice. They also make a S6-Slim model if the regular S6 is too bulky for your son. I loved my S6. I have since traded it in for a mini-jumbo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion