The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-10-2018, 11:15 AM

Default where are the 3 wires on a K&K pickup?

Hi,

I'm having my luthier install a K&K on my Froggy. He mentioned that there are 3 wires that will be visible? Assuming these are placed somewhere directly below the sound hole? Sorry for my ignorance on the subject, but I've never used any sort of onboard amplification system before. Thanks for additional explanation of how this whole thing works. Am I correct that, being a passive system, there are no batteries to change?

The other concern is that I have a Fender Stage 160 amp - will this work ok with the K&K? There are no separate gain controls - just volume for both channels.

Last edited by three4rd; 05-10-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by three4rd View Post
Hi,

I'm having my luthier install a K&K on my Froggy. He mentioned that there are 3 wires that will be visible? Assuming these are placed somewhere directly below the sound hole? Sorry for my ignorance on the subject, but I've never used any sort of onboard amplification system before. Thanks for additional explanation of how this whole thing works. Am I correct that, being a passive system, there are no batteries to change?

The other concern is that I have a Fender Stage 160 amp - will this work ok with the K&K? There are no separate gain controls - just volume for both channels.
I would question what your luthier means... very strongly! The K&K has 3 sensors that combine together and then run into the endpin socket - the sensors are under the bridge plate, so nothing should be visible at all. If it is the basic Pure Mini, then there is no battery. You might want to conside the use of a pre-amp before plugging in to your amp, but don't expect miracles from a non acoustic designed amplifier.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 05-10-2018, 11:56 AM

I think he probably said something like the wires being visible if I looked inside closely...not certain anymore. He has installed lots of these so I'm sure he knows what he's doing. As to amplification with the Fender, if it works as well as my old sits-in-the-soundhole D'addario pick-up, I'll be more than happy. If it doesn't, however, I won't be. Not sure what you mean by "expecting miracles". I'm just looking to avoid having to use the D'addario with this new guitar. Figured the K&K would undoubtedly be a better option (?)
Old 05-10-2018, 12:03 PM

A magnetic soundhole pickup is more akin to an electric guitar pickup than the K&K transducers are - which is why a lot of people criticise soundhole pickups for sounding "too electric". You will have to experiment and form your own views when you get to try the K&K, but in my humble opinion I think (in this instance) your D'Addario might be a better option.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 05-10-2018, 12:18 PM

The D'Addario gets a very *usable* signal, but it is NOT a particularly acoustic sound. The K+K gives a far more acoustic tone in comparison.

If you like the mag pickup sound, then there will be some adjustment to a different tone.

The K+K needs to see a fairly high input impedance (1 Megohm or higher) to sound good. Not sure if the Fender provides this. This is why so many use a DI or preamp with the K+K.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-10-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
A magnetic soundhole pickup is more akin to an electric guitar pickup than the K&K transducers are - which is why a lot of people criticise soundhole pickups for sounding "too electric". You will have to experiment and form your own views when you get to try the K&K, but in my humble opinion I think (in this instance) your D'Addario might be a better option.
Bummer to spend the money for the K&K if I wind up not even liking it as much. I didn't plan on investing in any additional gear - such as preamp, etc. What about using it for recording purposes, such as plugging directly into my M-Audio Pro unit? I do that also with the D'addario.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Hi,

The K&K will sound OK into that amp. The impedance match and signal level will actually be just about ideal (speaking as an electrical engineer). An acoustic amp or PA will sound better, but you will be fine as a place to start.

Here is a picture of what a K&K install looks like from inside a guitar and you can see the 3 wires that go to the endpin jack (though this particular install is the similar JJB 330):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...0hwMk1qVldPcFk
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-10-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Bummer to spend the money for the K&K if I wind up not even liking it as much. I didn't plan on investing in any additional gear - such as preamp, etc. What about using it for recording purposes, such as plugging directly into my M-Audio Pro unit? I do that also with the D'addario.
The K+K sounds MILES better than any mag pickup for recording, as long as you load it correctly (1M+ impedance). I like the mag sound almost as an effect, especially when integrating into an electric band sound, but it loses so much acoustic tone that I could never see using it for solo guitar or acoustic-based recordings.

Then when you add Tonedexter, it is GAME OVER.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-10-2018, 02:33 PM

Thanks for the replies...looking forward to hearing how it sounds.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:56 AM

I think the kk mini is a great sounding pickup .
But i think you may find you need some sort
of outboard gear like a di box or an preamp.
with that 1mgohm input impedance talked about
here. But try it in your fender and see how it sounds.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification