The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-09-2018, 06:08 PM

Default Order of my chain

I have an L.R. Baggs Para DI / Fishman Aura Spectrum DI (either one -- not both), RC-1 Looper, and a TC-Helicon Harmony singer 2.

I am playing thorough a Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge as my mixer.

How would you order these?

Thx

Martin HD-28V
Martin JC-16RGTE Premium
Taylor Koa GS-LTD 12-fret
Breedlove C-10 12-string
Cordoba Solista CE
Seagull M6 Gloss

Last edited by kente777; 05-09-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

I'd just put the looper and Helicon in the effects loop of the para DI or Fishman (You don't need both). If you want to loop the output of the helicon, put it before the looper. If instead you want to use the loops as the guitar input to the harmonizer, put it 2nd.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:04 AM

What is the reason for plugging the looper and harmonizer into the effects loop of the PARA instead of using the input port?
Old 05-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What is the reason for plugging the looper and harmonizer into the effects loop of the PARA instead of using the input port?
The para DI is a combination preamp and DI. The preamp is designed to go first - it provides the right input impedance and input level for your guitar, and allows you to EQ your sound, etc. The DI part is intended to go last, to provide a balance input for a PA, with the right levels and the right impedance. So it matches on both ends - basically massaging your guitar signal into something appropriate for a PA mixer. Now what do you do if you want other effects between the preamp input and the DI out when both are in the same box? They give you a handy effects loop with the right levels and impedances for other devices, specifically to address that need.

You don't have to use it. With 3 boxes, there are 6 possible orders in wihch to combine them (ignoring the effects loop) and who knows - maybe one of those sequences will give you exactly what you are looking for. So it doesn't hurt to try any order at all. But the para DI was designed specifically to optimize for the scenario where you plug the guitar into it, the DI out into the PA, and add effects via the effects loop, so that's a good place to start.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification