The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2018, 06:38 AM

Default Anyone gone from an 'array system' back to traditional speakers?

I'm curious if any of you have gone from an array system (Bose, JBL, Maui, etc...) back to a 'regular' PA (speakers on stands). Thx.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Russ, since our discussion on the EVOX JMIX8 system I have been thinking about the same thing.........

I already have a Yamaha MG82CX 8 Input Stereo Mixer (with Digital Effects) that has had scant use. I need at least 3 channels.

So one option would be to go with something like the EVOX 12, which has wheels. Just plug the mixer into it.

For 1/2 to 1/4 the price I could get a powered speaker and use the Yamaha MG82CX 8 Input Stereo Mixer.

From another recent thread here I stumbled on the Yamaha DXR 10 Powered Speaker Cabinet, 10". They also have 12 " and 15 " speakers, ranging in price from roughly $700 - $1000.

And others here have spoken highly of other powered speakers: QSC, JBL.

So many choices........which is a good thing........
Old 05-01-2018, 09:06 AM

I have both systems, a Bose L1C, and a 12 channel self powered board, with speakers, and stands. Both sound excellent.

However, the big system hasn't seen the light of day since I got the Bose, but if I was playing with a loud rocking band in a danc hall, the bigger system would get the nod. Happily, I play smaller rooms at lower volumes these days, for which the Bose is perfect.

Another factor is that most larger clubs around here(Ottawa, Canada) provide inhouse pa and an operator, so it's almost not worth owning a big rig.

I do get a lot of compliments from owners and patrons about the Bose.

Last edited by Pnewsom; 05-01-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

I'm never going back. If I ever play through square speakers again, they'll be somebody else's. That they carried.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:35 AM

After my outing with the JMIX8, I'm wondering if I should even try another array system. I really disliked it. Here's why:

1- The sub. I use a stomp foot bass and with traditional speakers on stands, I can hear it fine, as the sound is just above my head (and on both sides). However, with the JMIX, the sub is on the floor and in a loud room I had NO IDEA what what was going on with my stomp.

2- The crossover frequencies. On the JMIX, some of the low-mid information is going to the sub. Part of my guitar and my vocal are being amplified through the sub, which is on the ground. Again, in a loud room I can't hear that part of the sound.

3- The satellite: I can hear that just fine. But with the lo-mids out of the picture, it's not a sound that I like.

4- Feedback. At least with the JMIX, the resistance to feedback was not impressive.

5- With the array, the sound was to the side of me. My right ear was getting everything (and there was NO WAY that unit could be behind me). With 2 speakers on stands I get a balanced picture across the whole frequency range.

Now, I understand that the Bose is king of the hill, thanks to the patented arrangement of their upper speakers (and it gets such universal praise). I've played through an L1 a couple of times in quiet rooms and it was fine. I've also heard them in loud rooms and thought they were a bit lacking (but some of that might have been user error).

I recently played a record store through their PA (2x10" powered Yamaha's) and I thought they sounded great. Loved them (and they were fairly small).

Lastly, I realized that I don't mind the extra trips to the car or the extra 10 minutes it takes to get a couple of speakers/mixer up and running.

All that said...I'm still interested in the array concept, but man- I can't be experimenting at gigs with sound.

Last edited by russchapman; 05-01-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:01 AM

Russ you owe it your self to try an L1c, none of concerns you had with the Jmix8, are apparent to me with Bose.

Besides the ease of transport, set up and satisfiing sound, the best feature for me is that I'm not pounding the first row of tables with traditional speakers. The patrons really like that.

Mostly it depends where and who you play for. Right tool for the job sort of thing...
Old 05-01-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
Russ you owe it your self to try an L1c, none of concerns you had with the Jmix8, are apparent to me with Bose.

Besides the ease of transport, set up and satisfiing sound, the best feature for me is that I'm not pounding the first row of tables with traditional speakers. The patrons really like that.

Mostly it depends where and who you play for. Right tool for the job sort of thing...
I'm definitely still open to trying a Bose. Most anything can sound good in a quieter setting (where I've used the L1)- it's the bigger/louder rooms that are a challenge. I'm just not sure I can stomach another 'let's try this PA' gig, but maybe the Bose will be my last go at an array system.

The thing I dislike the most about traditional PA's is the space they take up- otherwise, I get along just fine with them.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
Russ, since our discussion on the EVOX JMIX8 system I have been thinking about the same thing.........

I already have a Yamaha MG82CX 8 Input Stereo Mixer (with Digital Effects) that has had scant use. I need at least 3 channels.

So one option would be to go with something like the EVOX 12, which has wheels. Just plug the mixer into it.

For 1/2 to 1/4 the price I could get a powered speaker and use the Yamaha MG82CX 8 Input Stereo Mixer.

From another recent thread here I stumbled on the Yamaha DXR 10 Powered Speaker Cabinet, 10". They also have 12 " and 15 " speakers, ranging in price from roughly $700 - $1000.

I recently played through some 10" powered Yamaha's and thought they sounded great. One thing I realized with the JMiX8 is that I'd personally rather take 2 trips with light gear than 1 trip with heavy gear (even with wheels). I couldn't send that JMIX back fast enough...ugh!
Old 05-01-2018, 10:45 AM

A lot is down to the operator. In a smallish to medium room I prefer a L1Compact as the L1 just has too much power and find the sound tiring. I prefer a conventional PA and monitor to the L1.
Martin J40
Old 05-01-2018, 10:59 AM

Never going back for acoustic gigs.
L1C with my Behringer xr16 digital mixer and I’m super compact and the sound is excellent...all over the room...something a conventional speaker just can’t do.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post

Take a look/listen at RCF speakers. They have a wide spread of price points. Not as well known in the US as some of the other brands. I just got a pair and really like them. Before making that purchase I considered switching to a "stick & sub" system, but decided to stick with traditional speakers for the versatility.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

I toured with nothing but Bose L1 systems for over a decade. In 2015 I got rid of all of my Bose gear and bought some QSC K series speakers and a QSC TouchMix board.

I tried that for a year but missed the "surround sound" I got with the Bose at many of my outdoor venues. I sold the QSC speakers and bought two JBL Eon One towers. I used those with the TouchMix and a little hot spot monitor.

After a year of that I sold the TouchMix and the JBL towers and rebought a Bose L1 Model 2 and a Bose L1 Compact.

Tons of screwing around I know but now I can very confidently say that there isn't anything better suited for what I do and where I do it than the Bose L1 systems.

So to answer the original question, yes I did and then I went back!

Matt

Last edited by open-road-matt; 05-01-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:31 PM

Recently switched from QSC mains on stands to an LD Systems Maui 11. Never been more pleased with my sound. I hear what the audience hears. My voice also no longer suffers as vocals are "easier" to hear.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:00 PM

Now I'm wondering...is the Evox JMIX8 really that much different (from every other array system) that I would have such a crappy experience with it?
Old 05-01-2018, 01:58 PM

Russ, I think that Bose just nailed the design and feature package. It has a very nice quality, both in sound, appearance, and seems pretty durable. Even comes with nice covers. The more I use it, the more I'm impressed. and everybody that I play with loves it.

There are no feedback problems either, and if a mic accidentally gets to close, it automatically squelches it. Quite remarkable, actually.

I have also come to really appreciate not using reverb with this system, the surround sound nature of it seems make it unnecessary.

I think they even offer a 45 day return policy.

Around here, there seems to be great growth in restaurant gigs, under the name of jazz, though I get away a mix of standards and classic pop and country songs done up in a smooth fashion. Mostly in a duo format. As well the pub scene is good, with more rock, country and r&b. For all these gigs, the L1C has been perfect.

I don't like it quite so much in a loud quartet, as it gets hard on the ears if it's too close to me. One of them on each side of the stage would likely be better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification