The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-07-2018, 02:33 PM

Default K&K with Fishman Platinum Stage

I have two guitars equipped with K&K mini's in them. I'm plugging into a Loudbox Mini. I'm using an K&K XLR preamp right now but I think I would like something with a sweep-able mid control.

I've been looking at a Fishman Platinum Stage but it has a 10M ohms input where the mini pickup likes 1M. Would that combination still work? I've been looking at an BBE Acoustimax which has 2.2m but I think it has more bells and whistles than what I need.

Also, how would the above mentioned preamps work with a LR Baggs Lyric?

I would have to order on line so not able to try before I buy.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's

Last edited by Wooly; 01-07-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

FYI, my K&K equipped guitars sound great going through the BBE Acoustimax. IMO the Acoustimax is the best preamp match I've encountered for the K&K (including the Fire-Eye Red-Eye, which is also very good).

I find the Acoustimax/Lyric combo to be fine, but not noteworthy (like with the K&K). The Acoustimax is also wonderful (with everything) as a DI going into a PA.

I had a Platinum Stage, but never warmed-up to it, so I moved it along.

As with everything AGF, but especially questions of acoustic amplification, YMMV.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

Last edited by Ed-in-Ohio; 01-07-2018 at 03:13 PM. Reason: added disclaimer
Old 01-07-2018, 11:56 PM

The Fishman should work just fine. I have used three generations of Fishman pre amps with K&K pickups and always get great sound once dialed in. I'm not talking dialing in every gig but set it and leave it. I make all my adjustments from the powered mixer. Cut the midrange and set the phase where you want it and you should be good to go. I used a basic Fishman model G for many years and now use a plastic pro eq II. I recently bought a Platinum Pro and it has passed the test as well but I havent taken it to a gig yet. I did buy a Baggs Gigpro years ago and that thing was a nightmare. Same impedance as the Fishman but still sounded bad. So I don't think the change from 1 to 10 is significant.

Last edited by lt20dbl; 01-08-2018 at 12:01 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification