The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-04-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Here’s a shot of the finished guitar in its Harptone case... It will stay with Bruce for a week post-strings. He’s a fine player and I suspect it will see a daily workout or two before being shipped.
A cook has to taste their stew.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:32 PM

Looking mighty fine there Bob, congrats to you and job well done to Bruce on another one of a kind!
Old 01-04-2018, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Looking mighty fine there Bob, congrats to you and job well done to Bruce on another one of a kind!
That’s the thing with Bruce’s guitars they are indeed all unique. He has no “models” just a library of materials, a language of design features that can be mixed and matched and mastery of his craft to achieve a client’s goals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
A cook has to taste their stew.
Particularly when they are an excellent chef!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
A gorgeous masterpiece!
Indeed it is... (thanks)
Old 01-05-2018, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

On my return to the real world Wed, I stopped at Bruces and got to play this beauty just a bit before he got the pickguard on. I think it helps him hear the instrument sitting opposite someone else playing it. Strings hadn’t settled in, the wood was just beginning to understand what it had been transformed into, and Bruce had still not exercised his right to put the first ding in, but despite all that, it was still a pretty fantastic instrument. Still way too new though. I’d really love to get to play it a bit more after Bruce got all the tweaks done on it and it settled in for a day or two, but I don’t think I’ll get by the shop soon enough. You made some excellent choices on this build, and Bruce did fantastic work - Congrats!
Old 01-06-2018, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Tad...(hope reemersion back into the “real world” was not too tramatic...)

You should swing by Petaluma to play it again before Bruce ships it early next week. Every time I speak with Bruce he tells me that it is continuing to transform in a positive way. Maybe at the NCAL meeting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
On my return to the real world Wed, I stopped at Bruces and got to play this beauty just a bit before he got the pickguard on. I think it helps him hear the instrument sitting opposite someone else playing it. Strings hadn’t settled in, the wood was just beginning to understand what it had been transformed into, and Bruce had still not exercised his right to put the first ding in, but despite all that, it was still a pretty fantastic instrument. Still way too new though. I’d really love to get to play it a bit more after Bruce got all the tweaks done on it and it settled in for a day or two, but I don’t think I’ll get by the shop soon enough. You made some excellent choices on this build, and Bruce did fantastic work - Congrats!
Old 01-06-2018, 11:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

The NCAL (Northern California Association of Luthiers) meeting Bob mentioned is tomorrow 1/7/18 and takes place in Livermore at 2 pm. If anyone wants to go they can email the club president, that’s me, for the address. I do plan to bring the guitar for show and tell.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Great thought! Maybe Bruce will bring it, although the main presentations at this meeting will be small shop CNC machines and UV cured finishes, particularly for electric guitars, so it’ll all be as close to the opposite from what Bruce does as you can get and still call it guitar building. I’m looking forward to it, because I’m fascinated with the tech, but I’m not sure I’m comfortable with how it seems to be integrating into “hand-built” crafts - but I’m trying to keep an open mind, since I’m soon to get my own small CNC 3-axis mill -
Old 01-06-2018, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Great thought! Maybe Bruce will bring it, although the main presentations at this meeting will be small shop CNC machines and UV cured finishes, particularly for electric guitars, so it’ll all be as close to the opposite from what Bruce does as you can get and still call it guitar building. I’m looking forward to it, because I’m fascinated with the tech, but I’m not sure I’m comfortable with how it seems to be integrating into “hand-built” crafts - but I’m trying to keep an open mind, since I’m soon to get my own small CNC 3-axis mill -
Well definitely give it another try tomorrow and see what you think. I suspect it sounds different...

I have worked with two luthiers who both extensively use CNC in their build process. Lutherie is a heterogeneous craft and there are many roads that can lead to a superlative instrument. Communities of Artisans should use meetings like this to get together to discuss divergent approches.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Final Pics

Bruce was not only kind enough to record a tune on the guitar yesterday (http://mojoluthier.com/Music/Rythme-SJ3.mp3), but also to take some photos of it in the California outside of his shop this afternoon.

The first four composite images are different shots of the front, back and sides of the guitar. I could not be more pleased visually in the elegant voluptuous shape of the guitar, its’ simple appointments and premium woods (amazing Adirondack Spruce top and Australian Blackwood back and sides).

Bruce nailed the pickguard for this guitar. It’s shape integrates with the body shape, it creates visual movement and uses a fire stripe tortoid as a hommage to Kalamazoo where the J-185 body shape originated.

The figure in the sides are beautiful as well showing some chatoyance.

A simple, elegant headstock with contrasting Madagascar Rosewood veneers, hand inlayed Abalone logo and gold Schaller GrandTune butterbean tuners. The “snakehead” shape organizes the string pull through the bone nut nicely.

Here are some details in a composite shot. Bruce hand inlayed a flock of three Green Abalone birds that form a gestural shape as a 12th fret position marker (top). Bruce’s .020” curly maple purflings shimmer next to the Amazon Rosewood binding (middle). The black purflings are only .010” (check out those miters!). Also as a tribute to Kalamazoo, Bruce used a simple two ring rosette. The inner ring has flamed Koa rings to match the Oz’ Blackwood and the outer ring has the flamed maple to match the purflings.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Bruce was not only kind enough to record a tune on the guitar yesterday (http://mojoluthier.com/Music/Rythme-SJ3.mp3), but also to take some photos of it in the California outside of his shop this afternoon.

The first four composite images are different shots of the front, back and sides of the guitar. I could not be more pleased visually in the elegant voluptuous shape of the guitar, its’ simple appointments and premium woods (amazing Adirondack Spruce top and Australian Blackwood back and sides).

Bruce nailed the pickguard for this guitar. It’s shape integrates with the body shape, it creates visual movement and uses a fire stripe tortoid as a hommage to Kalamazoo where the J-185 body shape originated.

The figure in the sides are beautiful as well showing some chatoyance.

A simple, elegant headstock with contrasting Madagascar Rosewood veneers, hand inlayed Abalone logo and gold Schaller GrandTune butterbean tuners. The “snakehead” shape organizes the string pull through the bone nut nicely.

Here are some details in a composite shot. Bruce hand inlayed a flock of three Green Abalone birds that form a gestural shape as a 12th fret position marker (top). Bruce’s .020” curly maple purflings shimmer next to the Amazon Rosewood binding (middle). The black purflings are only .010” (check out those miters!). Also as a tribute to Kalamazoo, Bruce used a simple two ring rosette. The inner ring has flamed Koa rings to match the Oz’ Blackwood and the outer ring has the flamed maple to match the purflings.

Looks and sounds lovely! Nice playing too by Bruce!
Old 01-07-2018, 01:48 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Sounds and looks fantastic!
Old 01-07-2018, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Looks and sounds lovely! Nice playing too by Bruce!
Yes, Brucs a man of many talents. He plays both guitar and violin regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Sounds and looks fantastic!
I hope those who attend today’s NCAL meeting in the SF Bay area who get a chance to audition it chime in. I will have to wait for next weekend...
Old 01-07-2018, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar. Hat’s off to Bruce and congratulations Jim.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Always an exciting point in the build process...

Old 01-10-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Always an exciting point in the build process...
'I hope it gets here ok, I hope it gets here ok, I hope it gets here ok.'

Oh wait, it was click your heels three time wasn't it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop