The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-21-2015, 01:21 PM

Thanks Petty1818. Very helpful information.
2023 Cole Clark True Hybrid
Fender Acoustasonic Strat
Line6HX Stomp
BeatBuddy
Boss RC-500
EV Evolve 30M
Old 08-21-2015, 04:27 PM

I had Brian from Gryphon install an Amulet MV in my CFox Concert. I have no idea how much time he spent on it but the results were great. I love the natural acoustic tone it delivers.
1999 CFox 'Frisco' concert w/ Trance Amulet MV
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e RW
2020 Goodall KCJ
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 08-21-2015, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
Very interested in this topic as well, as I'm looking to install a pickup in my new 000-18.

Have been leaning towards the Anthem (and my luthier has also recommended it), but I just like the idea of the Amulet. I'm also thinking i could install it myself.

Would be good to hear if Doug (or anyone) has any thoughts on the Amulet versus the Anthem for overall tone. The "mic" aspect of the Anthem seems great, but I'm concerned about changing the sound of the guitar with the UST element of that pickup.

Looking forward to Doug's updated sound samples.
These are very different pickups, so I think it will depend on your needs. The Anthem is still basically a UST - you can think of it as a "better" UST that uses a mic for the high end, to improve the sound. But it still sounds like a UST to me, and like Petty1818, I hear a certain distinctive tone to the Element that bugs me. Other people either don't hear it, or like it, so it comes down to taste. The Anthem, in spite of having a "mic", picks up almost no body sounds, so if you're into body percussion, etc, the Anthem won't pick that up any better than any UST. The Trance is an SBT, so it picks up more "wood", and tapping the top will pickup easily. The Trance will most likely feedback before the Anthem, tho I haven't tested that. All in all, they're both good pickups, and it depends on part on what you like, and whether you prefer a UST or and SBT.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
Doug, how do you think the K&K's would fare using the Trace tape instead of the superglue? The superglue clearly works, but removing the pickup later is very difficult, usually results in the destruction of the pickup, as well as slicing up the bridge plate.
That's an interesting thought. I have no idea. The tape K&K used to supply didn't work well. I don't know if the Trance tape would bond with metal as well as plastic.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:36 AM

Hi Doug, I also want to say thanks so much for spending the time looking into this Amulet M install issue some more.

I would very much like to hear if there's any more progress, especially some strumming demos?

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on one
(being non-US it is going to work out very expensive but it's looking worth it so far!).

Thanks again,
G-mana

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification