The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2018, 05:52 AM

Default Harmonizing Well

Hi,

This weekend I got a new GPCPA4 Martin and was playing with my father. He had a Breedlove and it was the first time I played with someone when our guitars sounded terrible together. Have you experienced this? Anyway to improve this situation when playing two guitars that just don't blend well together?

Scott
Old 05-27-2018, 06:01 AM

Tune, tune, tune. If they're not tuned and both intonated, they will sound awful together. Also, be sure you're both playing in the same key (one playing a G major scale, the other playing the relative scale of Em).
Old 05-27-2018, 06:13 AM

Blending well together is a sound, but not a necessary one. Why not celebrate the fact that you've got two sounds to play with? If you play the same thing and blend perfectly you'll only have one sound - seems like kind of a waste.

Probably the easiest solution (assuming the music is not too difficult) is for one of you to use a capo around half way up the neck. You can also alter your picking styles so they don't match, but rather compliment (one concentrate on the lower part of the chord, one on the upper and/or different strumming patterns, etc.).

Of course YamahaGuy is correct about tuning. If you're using a cheaper capo you probably want to recheck at least your low E string after applying the capo - many of the clothespin types pull that string pretty sharp.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 05-27-2018, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Put a capo on one guitar and play the song up the neck. Example, if the song is in G, capo a guitar on the fifth fret and play in D fingerings. It will sound fine. But as has been said, tune first!
Old 05-27-2018, 07:28 AM

May not just be a tuning problem. Perhaps they just dont mix well. For example my Yamaha FG780 fits my voice perfect. The Yairi and Takamine, while both excellent instruments, just dont blend well with my voice. Dont know why but thats the way it is.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:03 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Yes both instruments were tuned off the same tuner but maybe its the capo. I'll try again.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:35 PM

It could be that your ear is so used to your guitar that the other one just sounds funny to you.
I agree with the others that suggest you have one of the guitars capoed up.
This gives two distinct voices that will compliment each other.

Like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyN-krBTWLY
Old 06-04-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
maybe its the capo.
If you did not re-tune after applying the capo it IS the capo. This is most likely the problem.

If you simply do not like the sound of the guitars together, try switching to different strings on one of them.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstreese View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Yes both instruments were tuned off the same tuner but maybe its the capo.
There might be a third reason. If you have access to recording gear, try recording something with the same player laying down a part with one guitar and then overdubbing with the other. See how that sounds.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion