The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-26-2018, 04:33 PM

Default Dazzos in my new Martin HD-28??

Thinking of installing Dazzo transducers in my new HD-28. Sunnaudio has some gear that seems to go well with the Dazzo's.
*Anyone have experience with this combo?
*Is there a better set up for live feedback-resistant sound for my HD-28?
*What is the best outboard preamp if I go with the Dazzos?
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 04-26-2018, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Thinking of installing Dazzo transducers in my new HD-28. Sunnaudio has some gear that seems to go well with the Dazzo's.
*Anyone have experience with this combo?
*Is there a better set up for live feedback-resistant sound for my HD-28?
*What is the best outboard preamp if I go with the Dazzos?
A Trance Amulet M system sounds good and is quite feedback resistant. I have zero experience with Dazzo systems but they are reported as being good too. Note that I haven't used the term "excellent" in describing these systems, nor would I use it in describing any system as there are several variables involved in determining what may be best for your needs.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-01-2018, 01:43 AM
Charter Member

Not only do Dazzos work exceedingly well with Sunnaudio electronics, the Sunnaudio gear was designed for Dazzos.

I had Sunnaudio build me a Blender DI in an outboard box with two inputs for an open mic I frequent. The combination is stellar, and it works with K&Ks and other piezo pickups.

I have Dazzos in five guitars ranging from dreads to parlors. The Sunnaudio Blender DI works for all, and a friend had Dazzos put in a Guild 12 string and a 000 16. I have not had a ton of different pickups. Once I got Dazzos I've reasoned that I have no need to change.

I've been a huge RedEye fan, but the SunnAudio is better. Their Stage DI will be ready to go in a matter of weeks. I ordered one because I left my Blender DI with the open mic PA. We A/Bd it with a Fishman and the SunnAudio won out unanimously.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-01-2018, 04:48 PM

STage DI or Blender DI...which one is better prepared for live application with stellar abilities to make my HD-28 sound as good as it can through two Shertler David Deluxe amps on poles.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson SJ-200
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 05-02-2018, 11:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
STage DI or Blender DI...which one is better prepared for live application with stellar abilities to make my HD-28 sound as good as it can through two Shertler David Deluxe amps on poles.
Hi Hotroad,
For a single guitar/instrument the Stage DI with its Bass, Treble, and Volume controls will provide the best adjustability.
The Blender-DI was made to adjust the levels between two different instruments with one mix knob, Volume, and no EQ.

Marc
Old 05-02-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnaudio View Post
Hi Hotroad,
For a single guitar/instrument the Stage DI with its Bass, Treble, and Volume controls will provide the best adjustability.
The Blender-DI was made to adjust the levels between two different instruments with one mix knob, Volume, and no EQ.

Marc
Marc,

Do you have any diagrams or installation instructions for your internal preamps? I assume you would mount it on the underside of the soundboard?
Old 05-02-2018, 11:24 PM

Thanks Mark for the info. I am seriously considering this option versus the DPA 4099 that is in it, or rather on it, right now. The sound is actually amazing using the DPA alone but its not user friendly on stage. I really have to have something thats easy to use, not easily disturbed and does not feedback like the DPA condenser does.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson SJ-200
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 05-03-2018, 02:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Marc,

Do you have any diagrams or installation instructions for your internal preamps? I assume you would mount it on the underside of the soundboard?

Hi martingitdave,
Yes, we have installation instructions with some diagrams included with all our preamps (soon to be available off our site as well).
They do mount on underside of the soundboard with a strip of Velcro positioned to your liking.

Marc
Old 05-03-2018, 02:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks Mark for the info. I am seriously considering this option versus the DPA 4099 that is in it, or rather on it, right now. The sound is actually amazing using the DPA alone but its not user friendly on stage. I really have to have something thats easy to use, not easily disturbed and does not feedback like the DPA condenser does.

Hi Hotroad, I haven't heard nor tried the DPA mic's yet.
One thing for certain is that when we were testing our preamps with the Dazzo's on various guitars, we had about 120db of sound pumping in the room and no feedback with Yamaha 12" PA speakers.
We also ran some tests with the 8" pa speakers which resonate more with the acoustic guitars and sound more natural in response with a little more feedback than the 12's but we were standing right in front and facing it. In any case it was enough to make our ears ring!
If you have too much bass in the signal it will induce feedback but easily adjusted on the monitor or preamp, nothing out of control.
Please feel free to email us.

Marc
Old 05-03-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Hi martingitdave,
Yes, we have installation instructions with some diagrams included with all our preamps (soon to be available off our site as well).
They do mount on underside of the soundboard with a strip of Velcro positioned to your liking.

Marc
Thanks. I’m sure many of us would like to see some installed images of the components.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Thanks. I’m sure many of us would like to see some installed images of the components.

Here are a few photos of where our soundboard preamp is mounted. We will be updating our website soon with instructions for download.

The Velcro mount allows the preamp to be repositioned in further or stick out more depending on personal preference and mounting space.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Trust me when I say this 57 Martin sounds superb with the Dazzo/Sunnaudio combination.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-05-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Here are a few photos of where our soundboard preamp is mounted. We will be updating our website soon with instructions for download.

The Velcro mount allows the preamp to be repositioned in further or stick out more depending on personal preference and mounting space.

Probably an obvious answer here but is the simple LD-1 internal preamp with just the volume control the same as the TD-1 in terms of tone? What I mean by that is, is the preamp the same with both? I have been wanting to try a Dazzo for a while but this new active set up seems a bit more appealing. I like being able to have a plug and play set up as there are times where I don't have the chance to actually choose which external preamp/DI I will be using.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Dazzos in my new Martin HD-28??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Probably an obvious answer here but is the simple LD-1 internal preamp with just the volume control the same as the TD-1 in terms of tone? What I mean by that is, is the preamp the same with both? I have been wanting to try a Dazzo for a while but this new active set up seems a bit more appealing. I like being able to have a plug and play set up as there are times where I don't have the chance to actually choose which external preamp/DI I will be using.

Hi Petty,
The LD-1 Line Driver is a pure FET class-A buffer and is intended for use with external EQ, pedals or direct input to recording consoles. The TD-1 Tone Driver preamp has tone controls and is perfect for connections into acoustic amps, powered speakers, as well as recording devices.

The "tone" is different in the sense that that the LD-1 has a broader bandwidth which allows the user to eq at a console or external preamp. The primary function is so you don't loose signal quality running though cable before plugging into a preamp or console etc.
The TD-1 is a preamp which means that the extreme bandwidth is taken care of and is ready to plug into a mixer or pa or passive direct box without having to make big adjustments.

Marc

Last edited by sunnaudio; 05-05-2018 at 03:37 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification