The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-04-2018, 08:06 PM

I just setup my Loudbox Mini and Kustom KPC4P monitor. I have them connected together with an XLR cable (mic cable). Works as it should. The gain knobs on the Mini controls the Mic, Instrument and monitor, the Master bypasses the monitor. The volume on the monitor will control only the monitor. Be aware that when you are plugging in and out instruments and mics, turning the main down on the amp will not turn down the volume on the monitor, you will need to do that at the monitor or use a pedal such as a tuner or volume pedal between the amp and the instrument.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 01-04-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
I just setup my Loudbox Mini and Kustom KPC4P monitor. I have them connected together with an XLR cable (mic cable). Works as it should. The gain knobs on the Mini controls the Mic, Instrument and monitor, the Master bypasses the monitor. The volume on the monitor will control only the monitor. Be aware that when you are plugging in and out instruments and mics, turning the main down on the amp will not turn down the volume on the monitor, you will need to do that at the monitor or use a pedal such as a tuner or volume pedal between the amp and the instrument.
I’m gonna try that out with xlr on the Loudbox and xlr mic input on the Kustom. I was under the impression I could only connect a microphone to the mic input on the Kustom. Which is why I didn’t try that method, I’ll try it when I get back home.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin Custom 05 Java-DX(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Taylor GS-Mini-Hog(Traveler)
Old 01-05-2018, 12:00 AM

I finally setup it again but with just a standard microphone XLR cable, and everything worked perfectly as it should if not better than the previous setup.

Thanks again for everyone’s help!
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 01-05-2018, 12:51 AM

I’ve got a tiny Crate CA15 which tilts back and works great as a monitor. The speaker has been replaced with a better-quality 8” speaker, and it is adequate for most situations where a monitor is necessary.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:48 AM

Recently I've been inspired by this thread and the other about in-ear monitoring. My singing has been slightly pitchy because I've been unable to hear myself properly when I'm outdoors busking with my amp facing the audience. Today I spent 5 hours to finally arrive at a really good but unorthodox monitoring solution!

My main amp is a Roland AC-33 and not a Loudbox Mini so the cabling may vary but here's my solution:

I stereo out my amp through aux into a quality Sony XB20 bluetooth speaker (pictured below) and put it on my music stand facing me.

This is particularly tricky in my situation because I need another stereo out into a separate column PA (Laney AH4x4). What I did is to sum the AC-33 left + right into an aux out, attach a splitter at that end to get 2 stereo outs, and aux in to the Sony Bluetooth and also the Laney AH4x4. This is an extremely low cost and convenient solution with amazing sound quality so it was worth the cabling. For the Loudbox Mini which has an XLR out, you probably need to find a way to double the mono signal to make sure the bluetooth speaker uses both cones. Hope it helps!

Last edited by necrome; 01-05-2018 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Hayden View Post
I’ve got a tiny Crate CA15 which tilts back and works great as a monitor. The speaker has been replaced with a better-quality 8” speaker, and it is adequate for most situations where a monitor is necessary.
Sweet vintage looking monitor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
Recently I've been inspired by this thread and the other about in-ear monitoring. My singing has been slightly pitchy because I've been unable to hear myself properly when I'm outdoors busking with my amp facing the audience. Today I spent 5 hours to finally arrive at a really good but unorthodox monitoring solution!

My main amp is a Roland AC-33 and not a Loudbox Mini so the cabling may vary but here's my solution:

I stereo out my amp through aux into a quality Sony XB20 bluetooth speaker (pictured below) and put it on my music stand facing me.

This is particularly tricky in my situation because I need another stereo out into a separate column PA (Laney AH4x4). What I did is to sum the AC-33 left + right into an aux out, attach a splitter at that end to get 2 stereo outs, and aux in to the Sony Bluetooth and also the Laney AH4x4. This is an extremely low cost and convenient solution with amazing sound quality so it was worth the cabling. For the Loudbox Mini which has an XLR out, you probably need to find a way to double the mono signal to make sure the bluetooth speaker uses both cones. Hope it helps!
Awesome combo, I’m glad it’s working out for you.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 01-05-2018, 04:30 PM

I do notice one thing, is I can hear hissing sound from the Kustom. It’s not overbearing or anything, but you can notice it. Is that normal for speakers?
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 01-05-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf702 View Post
I do notice one thing, is I can hear hissing sound from the Kustom. It’s not overbearing or anything, but you can notice it. Is that normal for speakers?
There's a lot of variables to speaker hiss. Construction, quality of the components and craftsmanship play a part. As does the signal chain, power supply, the physical environment, such as the location of certain types of lights and other electrical devices. I use to play at a venue that had a standup cooler that was on the same circuit that was available for plugging in my gear, it generated an annoying hiss. Try unplugging everything that goes into your Kustom and see if it still has a hiss. Try plugging into a different circuit in a different room.

Most of my powered speakers has some type of electrical presence, not a hiss though.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 01-05-2018, 05:49 PM

I see, thank you. It’s not a bother just making sure of the potential reasons.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification