The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-31-2023, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Bluegrass on an Archtop

Oh I love this!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 12-31-2023, 04:51 AM

Wow, what a great sounding guitar (playing is great, too).
Old 12-31-2023, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Very nice indeed.
Old 01-01-2024, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Smile

Thanks for passing that along Robin, much appreciated
Old 01-01-2024, 07:01 AM

Surprise surprise, it sounds good!

In a similar vein:

(IIUC she owns an archtop by a traditional, contemporary west-coast builder who's name I forgot but she never seems to use it.)

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 01-02-2024, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

That just sound lovely - Molly is such a class player and singer. The guitar has a beautiful timbre. Compared to this L5 it's the bass side timbre that I'm missing on my Godin

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 01-02-2024, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
That just sound lovely - Molly is such a class player and singer. The guitar has a beautiful timbre. Compared to this L5 it's the bass side timbre that I'm missing on my Godin
It's hard to get a better sound than that of a well-preserved L5 signed by Lloyd Loar, I think most people will recognise that even if the archtop sound isn't their cuppa. Compared to that a Kingpin sounds a bit as if it's stuffed with who knows what

But every time I look at this recording I get the impression Molly isn't thrilled at all...

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 01-02-2024, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post

But every time I look at this recording I get the impression Molly isn't thrilled at all...
Perhaps she is just having a bad day! This could have taken multiple takes for the film crew to get !!!

Old 01-02-2024, 07:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Perhaps she is just having a bad day! This could have taken multiple takes for the film crew to get !!!
Maybe it's because the guitar was clearly out of tune, but time was tight?

Who knows. She's an amazing player in any case, and nobody should be surprised that an L-5 Gibson archtop sounds wonderful for bluegrass.

It was good enough for Mother Maybelle Carter, after all.

HE
Old 01-02-2024, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post

HE
LOL! I'm not surprised that Eli still has the tuner clipped on to his Rincon archtop in the OP video. That instrument is fitted with banjo planetary tuners!

Old 01-02-2024, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Erm, a player of her stature should be able to correct the tuning by ear and (almost) on the fly ...

Old 01-02-2024, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Ok, I know that this is primarily abut the archtops and how they can be used for all sorts of styles, ( Gibson '34/5 F hole anyone?) but I muust put a word infor Ei West's playing style.

I was fortunate enough to see Eli with Cahalen twice in the UK, and love both of them together, and separately, but Eli's melodic and often surprising runs and fills always thrill and delight me :

Similarly when he plays the octave mando :

Eli, it seems, likes to jog, and as I was pulling in to the carpark at the last gig I saw them, he ran straight in front of me .. looking the wrong way in a country where we drive on the left (?) - so we are lucky to still have him!

Loved the sound of his "Roy Smeck" style flat tops - can't remember who built his gear now.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:30 AM

Quote:
...The guitar has a beautiful timbre. Compared to this L-5 it's the bass side timbre that I'm missing on my Godin...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
It's hard to get a better sound than that of a well-preserved L-5 signed by Lloyd Loar, I think most people will recognize that even if the archtop sound isn't their cuppa. Compared to that a Kingpin sounds a bit as if it's stuffed with who knows what...
The Godin 5th Avenue is an all-laminated guitar from the early-2K's, worth about $500-750 on the open market depending on condition...

The Gibson L-5 is a hand-carved/tuned century-old instrument, designed/signed by arguably the Stradivarius of fretted instruments and worth $150K+/- :

https://reverb.com/item/71172195-gib...ard-shell-case

The Godin is a great little guitar for the price, far superior in QC and playability to the postwar student archtops on which it is modeled - and I'd have it over the old Harmony Broadway on which I learned any day...

The Loar L-5 is a world-class instrument in every respect, which forever changed the status of the guitar in popular music - and for many players remains the criterion by which all other archtops are judged...

Big difference...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 01-02-2024 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2024, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The Godin 5th Avenue is an all-laminated guitar from the early-2K's, worth about $500-750 on the open market depending on condition...

The Gibson L-5 is a hand-carved/tuned century-old instrument, designed/signed by arguably the Stradivarius of fretted instruments and worth $150K+/- :

https://reverb.com/item/71172195-gib...ard-shell-case

The Godin is a great little guitar for the price, far superior in QC and playability to the postwar student archtops on which it it modeled - and I'd have it over the old Harmony Broadway on which I learned any day...

The Loar L-5 is a world-class instrument in every respect, which forever changed the status of the guitar in popular music - and for many players remains the criterion by which all other archtops are judged...

Big difference...
Awww - Can't I have an L5 for $500 to $750?

My Godin is doing a wonderful job at gigs. I would like to try something carved though - just as a comparison.

Old 01-02-2024, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Awww - Can't I have an L5 for $500 to $750?

My Godin is doing a wonderful job at gigs. I would like to try something carved though - just as a comparison.
Keep a look out for a Gibson L50. It’s a solid carved top and back, and while it was considered a student grade instrument when new, Frank Vignola calls it a poor man’s L5 for a reason:

https://youtu.be/TNODaar4Tls?si=MAmFlsuAjGpZ6j4r

I’ve had mine, a 1960, since 2001 and it’s still my favorite. It’s versatile and can handle any style. In fact, now is the time to grab one if you can because the prices are going up. I see them these days going for $2500 to $3000; mine (in Very Good + condition) was $1000 back in May of 2001 from the much missed Mandolin Brothers.

L50s are fairly plentiful as the model ran (in its definitive f-hole form) from about 1935 to 1970.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops