The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-10-2021, 02:49 AM

Default Worth repairing? 1979 Yamaha FG375S

A friend found this guitar at an estate sale and knowing nothing about guitars other than I love old Yamahas, kindly bought it for me. It's not in completely bad shape, but not the greatest either-see pics. The previous owner did made some interesting modifications to the bridge, possibly in an attempt to lower the action or avoid a neck reset? There's also a lovely hanging hole in the headstock and a hole in the base of neck (possibly planned to install a strap button?). There's also what I'm hoping is a scratch (and not a crack) at the base of the neck. A silly-putty pick holder was included, free of charge!

Worth getting back into playable shape or rather clean it up and decorate the wall with it?
Old 03-10-2021, 05:04 AM

You have to be the judge of its worth. Doubtful you’re going to flip it and make money, but it could be made serviceable again. It’s a chance to practice repair skills, either for you or an aspiring luthier.

The bridge hack says neck reset to me. Not a simple job - see thread further down the page. Bridge replacement, not a huge deal.

If you had to pay some one to fix it, I wouldn’t.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:31 AM

Default profile image

I suspect it was a good guitar, judging by the effort that has gone in to keeping it alive so far. I would be interestsd in seeing an image showing the side profile, neck angle, string height, etc. I just overhauled a FG 300, one of the ones with an electric guitar bridge rather than a saddle and a laminated top. I really grumbled and felt like it was a waste of time.... until I got it done.
-Maurice
Old 03-10-2021, 09:21 AM

A neck reset would cost more then that guitar is worth. It will most likely need a new bridge too if the neck is reset. And yes it does look like somone modified that bridge to avoid a neck reset.

But you could do the quick and easy neck reset too and simply saw through the heel flush to the body being careful not to hit the truss rod. Then with a strip of sand paper floss the heel smooth and to set the angle properly then with a long screw and a strap pin work some glue into the new butt joint and screw in the pin nice and tight and call it a day.
Old 03-12-2021, 01:13 AM

I tried to get some side pictures but wasn't able to get a clear picture of the extent of the neck bend. But the general consensus seems to be that if I pay to fix it, it will be much more expensive than the actual guitar.

The area I live in is pretty rural and I don't think there's much of a project guitar resale market here, so I'll probably give it a go myself. I'm curious as to what an old solid top Yamaha sounds like, given how good my laminate FG335 sounds. Worse case, if I fail horribly I can glue it back together and hang it on the wall
Old 03-12-2021, 05:25 AM

My Yamaha FG365s was in need of a neck reset. In the end I tried the "steaming method" (where you steam the upper bout and clamp the neck back on a jig). I've now got good height on the new saddle and 90 thou clearance on the bass E at the 12th fret. Four months down the line and (so far)the neck hasn't sprung back. Cost me about £10 for the parts I needed. Not for everyone I know, but in your case it might be worth considering. There is a You Tube video on the process- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTVzGM1Znv8&t=186s
Old 03-12-2021, 07:09 AM

Default Proceed carefully

I think that guitar is worth approaching with respect. Before I did my first neck reset I watched Dan Erlewines instructional videos several times. They were on VHS back then. Stewart Macdonald has them on DVD for $63. There is one on eBay for $38. Many of his videos are on youtube too.
There are no flies on Marty Mcfly, I have learned that he is correct regarding many things made in Japan

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Dan-Erlewine...-/132457727744
Old 03-12-2021, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricemcm View Post
I think that guitar is worth approaching with respect. Before I did my first neck reset I watched Dan Erlewines instructional videos several times. They were on VHS back then. Stewart Macdonald has them on DVD for $63. There is one on eBay for $38. Many of his videos are on youtube too.
There are no flies on Marty Mcfly, I have learned that he is correct regarding many things made in Japan

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Dan-Erlewine...-/132457727744
Yes, 100% agree with the above. Did this myself, and I've never looked back. Been repairing guitars now for about 15 years. Dan Erlewine's DVD's are the best

1918 Gibson L-1
1928 Gibson L-4 (Blond w/Ebony Fret-board)
1930's Kalamazoo KG-32
1930's Gretsch F-50
1934 Gibson L-7
1934 Gibson L-50 (KG-11/14 Body Shape)
1935 Gibson L-50 (Flat-back)
1935 Gibson L-30 (Flat-back)
1942 Gibson L-50 (WWII Banner Head)
1948 Gibson L-50
1949 Epiphone Blackstone

"a sharp mind cuts cleaner than a sharp tool"
Old 03-12-2021, 08:53 PM

If you can bring it back the hole in the peg head will be a nice trophy. Wall hanger resurrected.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair