The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-02-2019, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Free Solo Documentary

Anyone watch Oscar-Winning Documentary ‘Free Solo’? Wow, that dude is wired differently. Impressive accomplishment.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:09 PM

I used to rock climb and yes he is amazing. At 62 it got me wired to get back in to it. Can't wait to see the movie.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 03-02-2019, 08:13 PM

Me again. I cant even begin to imagine the preparation and state of mind to accomplish this amazing feat.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 03-02-2019, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
I used to rock climb and yes he is amazing. At 62 it got me wired to get back in to it. Can't wait to see the movie.
I just paid-per-view and then learned it will be shown for free tomorrow night ad-free (March 3) on the National Geographic Channel at 9PM ET. Here’s a summary at https://decider.com/2019/03/01/free-...umentary-free/
Old 03-03-2019, 11:39 AM

THANKS! DVR set to record!
Old 03-04-2019, 12:13 AM

Horribly, the camera man apparently just died today:

https://www.thewrap.com/andrew-beren...lo-dies-at-46/

“Free Solo” cameraman and documentary filmmaker Andrew Berends has died. He was 46.

Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi, co-director of the Oscar-winning film, posted a tribute to her “wonderful friend” on Instagram Sunday.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-18-2019, 07:28 AM

I've been to Yosemite and find it awe-inspiring, but unlike the others here and the protagonist of this story I didn't find this film particularly inspiring.

In fact, I found it both interesting and farcical that he willingly submitted to an MRI and disregarded the concerns of others around him. As the story plodded along I felt a pale similarity in storytelling to Jon Kraukauer's "Into Thin Air" and became increasingly filled with a feeling of dread. When his girlfriend tried to plead with him without sounding like she was worried and they shared the fate of other free climbers I turned it off because I had had enough.

Honnold clearly has a distinct personality, but I don't find him particularly enlightened. I have two sons - one of whom is severely autistic - and if either took up mountain climbing I'd strongly suggest they find another hobby. I used to climb trees as a kid, but I took a 20'+ fall holding two severed branches into a pile of leaves as a life changing moment that proved to me that maybe I should hug trees in a different manner.

...otoh maybe my amygdala is just overactive lol!

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-18-2019 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Removed religion
Old 03-18-2019, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Great film, and as much as the climbing inspired us as we watched, it quickly became apparent that it was more of a character study than an adventure film. He is a strange fellow, and we wonder if he’s on the autistic spectrum somewhere. Kept wondering why his lovely girlfriend stayed with him. A study in what kind of person commits to something so all-consuming and dangerous.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:06 AM
AGF Administrator

I watched it on iTunes about a week ago. I was impressed by the accomplishment, not so much by the man himself. But at least he was honest about his priorities, so I'll give him that.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:36 PM

I was not impressed...

I'm another one who started watching this and turned it off...I was put off by the guys complete self absorption and rude disregard for the thoughts, opinions or feelings of anyone else, even those who care about him...he comes across as an immature jerk...

His girlfriend seems to be a sweetheart, and should move on before she wastes more of her time and life on him...
Old 03-18-2019, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I was not impressed...

I'm another one who started watching this and turned it off...I was put off by the guys complete self absorption and rude disregard for the thoughts, opinions or feelings of anyone else, even those who care about him...he comes across as an immature jerk...

His girlfriend seems to be a sweetheart, and should move on before she wastes more of her time and life on him...
It might help to know that Alex is autistic and because he’s on the spectrum he has a peculiar personality. He's hyper focused and doesn’t see things like many people do. He is critical of anyone who doesn't share his uncompromising views. He shuns caffeine and alcohol, eats a vegetarian diet, owns relatively few possessions and donates a third of his income to humanitarian and environmental causes. This doesn’t make him more likable, but perhaps provides some understanding.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

I thought in the movie they said his dad was autistic, but was less clear that Honnold had been diagnosed as such. But it seems pretty likely.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

To attempt something with no "Do-Overs" is mind numbing
Old 03-18-2019, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I thought in the movie they said his dad was autistic, but was less clear that Honnold had been diagnosed as such. But it seems pretty likely.
Yeah, they didn’t say much about that in the movie, but there have been a number of articles that mention it and Alex is aware and admits he knows he’s on the spectrum. He reminds me of my nephew (also named Alex) who is autistic.

My nephew has a driving license, has earned a black belt in martial arts and has been in Community College for a couple of years. But he is hyper focused on martial arts to the exclusion of virtually everything else. My guess is it will be difficult to maybe impossible for him to finish CC or live by himself. My nephew really doesn’t “get”” how humans feel, but his wonderful & dedicated parents have worked with him to teach him many social skills. He remembers I like hugs, (for example), so if I’m at a barbecue with him he will give me a dozen hugs during a 2 hour period telling me he knows I’m the uncle who likes hugs. But there is no apparent emotion attached.

Like I said in the OP, this guy is wired differently, but accomplished a pretty amazing climb.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Yeah, they didn’t say much about that in the movie, but there have been a number of articles that mention it and Alex is aware and admits he knows he’s on the spectrum. He reminds me of my nephew (also named Alex) who is autistic.

My nephew has a driving license, has earned a black belt in martial arts and has been in Community College for a couple of years. But he is hyper focused on martial arts to the exclusion of virtually everything else. My guess is it will be difficult to maybe impossible for him to finish CC or live by himself. My nephew really doesn’t “get”” how humans feel, but his wonderful & dedicated parents have worked with him to teach him many social skills. He remembers I like hugs, (for example), so if I’m at a barbecue with him he will give me a dozen hugs during a 2 hour period telling me he knows I’m the uncle who likes hugs. But there is no apparent emotion attached.

Like I said in the OP, this guy is wired differently, but accomplished a pretty amazing climb.
Gotcha, thanks for the details. Makes total sense.

That's got to be tough with your nephew, I feel for you. It's touching that he tries with the hugs but the lack of emotion must be hard to process.

Regarding the movie, I gotta wonder what keeps Honnold's girlfriend around–I found the character study fascinating. What's also interesting is how he memorized every move in that what, 36-pitch, 3000 foot climb? Not unusual for those on the spectrum to have that kind of recall.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic