The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-13-2021, 02:33 PM

Default Martin refret

I need a refret on my 1996 Martin DM. As I understand it, my original frets were 0.080" x 0.037" (they were finished to 0.080" x 0.034") and they have now gone to 0.080" x 0.043". What do you guys like on your Martins, what do you recommend?

Thanks,

George
Old 03-13-2021, 04:20 PM

George,

I'm literally in the process of having my OM-21 refretted. I am going with Jescar 43080 in EVO. That's the 0.080 X 0.043 size you mention. Martins before around 2015 (not sure exactly what year, though) had standard 0.037 fret wire but have now pretty much moved to 0.043. I made the decision to go with the higher fret based on the playability of my 2018 00-18 that has the new standard 0.043 sized frets. It just plays better than the shorter frets IMO. It is just SO comfortable!

Of course, YMMV. :-)

Frank
Old 03-13-2021, 07:22 PM

My vintage D-18 was recently refretted with the 0.080 X .043 wire, and I like it, not much difference between it and the 0.037 wire I have on several other Martins, and I hope it will last longer. The 0.043 seems to be the new standard for most of the acoustic guitar manufacturers.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

I prefer Jescar EVO or Stainless 47095 or larger. Jescar is smart in their labels as 47095 are 0.047” tall and 0.095” wide. If you’re paying for a refret you might as well get EVO. The strings are harder than nickel frets so the frets wear. The EVO frets are harder than the strings so they’ll outlast the guitar. The stainless steel are much harder than EVO. Once on they’ll never need a thing. My tech charges the same for all three types. For me, once you’re used to taller frets, it doesn’t matter how tall you go as your fingers will not touch the fretboard whether your at 0.047” or 0.055” so a lot of people use 55090 as well.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:58 PM

i don't like stainless on my OM28. I'm sorry I had it done that way.Not familiar with Jescar,what is it? I feel the edges of the frets ;even in summertime. I was even thinking of having refretted again ,because I just don't like the feel!
Old 03-15-2021, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
i don't like stainless on my OM28. I'm sorry I had it done that way.Not familiar with Jescar,what is it? I feel the edges of the frets ;even in summertime. I was even thinking of having refretted again ,because I just don't like the feel!
Jescar is a maker of fret wire. They make nickel, EVO and stainless. Dunlop is another major fret wire maker. If you feel the edges of your frets that’s because your humidity is not correct (unlikely if you feel it year round) or your frets were not installed well. There is no difference in shape between the 3 types of frets but you do need very specific and much higher quality tools to adequately do a stainless re-fret as the frets will wear out simple inexpensive tools immediately since they are so hard. Perhaps your tech is new at doing stainless re-frets or doesn’t have the correct tools. Stainless frets or EVO frets should feel exactly like a brand new guitar yet they will never wear out. Feeling the edges of the frets is just not right regardless of the type of fret used. Take your guitar to someone else.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:28 AM

One other consideration. If your guitar has fret wear only on the lower frets you can do a partial refret that will save you money, in that case you'll want to use frets with the same material and same original fret height - .037. If you want or need a full refret, then you have options on fret size and fret material both.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:22 AM

. Take your guitar to someone else.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-16-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
If you closed your eyes you would never know what material the frets are made out of, they would all feel the same. When the frets are installed the luthier needs to take many steps to complete the job which includes preparing the fret board, properly seating and leveling the frets, shaping the crowns and dressing the fret ends. There is some personal preference in every one of those steps and those choices can be felt. Are the fret tops flatter or more pyramid shaped? How much material was removed in the leveling and how tall are they? Were the fret ends dressed flush with the binding on the sides? Where the fret ends then rolled over, what angle do they slope away from the binding? The luthier knows that the material is stainless because its harder on their tools but you don't. If you don't like the way the frets feel then have them reworked to your liking and if that guy can't get you what you want then switch luthiers. Material can't be added so some things cannot be reversed but fret ends that you can feel can be fixed. Lastly, fret ends can become exposed when the wood dries out and shrinks because the metal frets don't change significantly regardless of the material.

That said, I am going to try and unhijack my thread so I can get on with my refret. Has anyone regretted going from their original 0.080 x 0.037 frets to modern 0.080 x 0.043?

Thanks,

George

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair