The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-05-2021, 04:34 AM

Default Taylor GS Mini Saddle

Hi all

I have a GS Mini and someone has filed the saddle a bit further than is ideal so I'm getting a little bit of buzz on the 1st 3 strings. I could try to stick some paper underneath it but I'm wondering if that would make the lower strings too high?

I'm considering buying a new saddle and staring from scratch. Does anyone know the type I need to buy? Is it possible to get one that wont need any further filing to get it to the right width and length?

Thanks for your help
Old 03-05-2021, 08:19 AM

You'll get the best tone and volume by having a solid saddle extending to the bottom of the saddle slot. I'd recommend the you make a new saddle.

Do be aware that unless you're looking for only a tiny amount of adjustment that the GS Mini is designed to adjust the string height by swapping the pre-cut neck shims in the pocket for the neck. This is the huge advantage of the Taylor NT neck system. A good tech can change the neck angle in 15 minutes.

The GT Mini is a great guitar and proper setup has a lot to do with the tone and volume. In most cases trimming the nut height is not the right way to adjust the action.

You may be able to get a new stock saddle that is the proper height and then have the neck angle set correctly. The neck shims are tapered and precision cut. Taylor only supplies these to trained and certified repair facilities.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:41 PM

Default A thought - my opinions

Call Taylor, get a new OEM saddle. I suspect, without any knowledge, that all Taylor saddles are created equal, as adjusting the shim stack on a NT neck is Taylor's means to control neck angle. Action too high? swap shims.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:07 PM

Default saddle, or nut ?

Are you talking about the saddle on the bridge or the nut at the top of the neck?
The only filing done on the saddle is on the bottom to adjust the string action.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:15 PM

Rough action is set on a GS Mini with neck shims, the shims adjust the neck evenly on both Treble E and Bass E.

A neck that has an action of say 100/95 at the 12th cannot be fixed by shimming alone, the shims will get the Bass E side down to the desired height, but the Treble E will still have a 5 thou split, no one wants a 5 thou split, more like 20 thou, so the treble e side has to be finished off with saddle adjustments.

I typically when doing a Taylor neck reset never just reset the neck and leave it at that, I always tweak the saddle to a desired setup

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-05-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooster View Post
Is it possible to get one that wont need any further filing to get it to the right width and length
Taylor sell replacement saddles to thepublic, just call them up and place an order with them, saddle from memory is around 12 dollars

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 03-05-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Rough action is set on a GS Mini with neck shims, the shims adjust the neck evenly on both Treble E and Bass E.

A neck that has an action of say 100/95 at the 12th cannot be fixed by shimming alone, the shims will get the Bass E side down to the desired height, but the Treble E will still have a 5 thou split, no one wants a 5 thou split, more like 20 thou, so the treble e side has to be finished off with saddle adjustments.

I typically when doing a Taylor neck reset never just reset the neck and leave it at that, I always tweak the saddle to a desired setup

Steve
This!

Neck shims "rough tune" the setup and the "fine tuning" of the setup is done with the saddle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair