The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 01-15-2020, 09:57 AM
Coler Coler is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Mahogany lighter than most rosewoods according to this. https://www.bellforestproducts.com/i...y-weight/?s=28

From my own experience my all mahogany 00015m is one of the lightest guitars I have played.
Same here, insofar as my D17M (spruce top, mahogany back and sides) is an absolute feather - notably lighter than the smaller bodied 000 28 with rosewood back and sides.

I would however say that in terms of any pain or discomfort suffered from handling and playing an acoustic guitar, posture and technique will definitely come into it. Shoulders can be affected by referred pain from stuff that's going on up the chain at the wrist and elbow etc.
__________________
D17M 2012
000-28 2019
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-15-2020, 10:02 AM
RalphH's Avatar
RalphH RalphH is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Canterbury, UK
Posts: 796
Default

we're talking about a laminate B&S guitar. The rosewood is likely a very thin veneer over a sapele core. My Koa GS Mini is build in exactly the same way. The lack of binding on the GS mini means you can see it pretty clearly. I wouldn't expect any significant weight gains over a hog B&S version
__________________
Customshop Hummingbird (Review)
Sontronics Solo
Orange Crush Acoustic 30
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-15-2020, 10:43 AM
Crazyguitardj Crazyguitardj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Describe your current strap: width and thickness, and how low do you have yuor guitar hanging - i.e. does your belt buckle show below it?
My strap is about two and a half inches wide, suede leather.
My belt buckle is about 2 inches above the bottom of the guitar, if that makes sense...
I don't think the guitar height is the problem... I feel like Johnny Cash already with how high I wear my guitar
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-15-2020, 11:02 AM
Crazyguitardj Crazyguitardj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 95
Default

Are y'all saying, in general, the higher the guitar is worn, the less strain?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-15-2020, 11:03 AM
RalphH's Avatar
RalphH RalphH is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Canterbury, UK
Posts: 796
Default

All sounds reasonable. Can you confirm whether you feel like the strap is cutting into you or its your shoulder muscles that are hurting?
__________________
Customshop Hummingbird (Review)
Sontronics Solo
Orange Crush Acoustic 30
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-15-2020, 06:08 PM
PAPADON PAPADON is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 107
Default

I started playing electric back in the mid 60's when we would struggle with 8-9+ lbs. The weight of acoustics never even crossed our minds.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-15-2020, 09:33 PM
Crazyguitardj Crazyguitardj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
All sounds reasonable. Can you confirm whether you feel like the strap is cutting into you or its your shoulder muscles that are hurting?
Shoulder strain after an hour or so
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-16-2020, 04:32 AM
RalphH's Avatar
RalphH RalphH is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Canterbury, UK
Posts: 796
Default

ok, if it's actually the shoulder muscles that are hurting rather than the strap cutting into you I'm going to say it's more likely posture. Go play in front of a full length mirror or film yourself playing with your phone and see if you can identify what's up.

Like I said on page 1, I was amazed by how bad my sitting posture was when I looked in a mirror. I was sitting like i was deliberately trying to injure myself without realising it. It felt natural but looked rediculous and it gave me shoulder pain.
__________________
Customshop Hummingbird (Review)
Sontronics Solo
Orange Crush Acoustic 30
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-16-2020, 08:09 AM
Crazyguitardj Crazyguitardj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
ok, if it's actually the shoulder muscles that are hurting rather than the strap cutting into you I'm going to say it's more likely posture. Go play in front of a full length mirror or film yourself playing with your phone and see if you can identify what's up.

Like I said on page 1, I was amazed by how bad my sitting posture was when I looked in a mirror. I was sitting like i was deliberately trying to injure myself without realising it. It felt natural but looked rediculous and it gave me shoulder pain.
Good idea will definitely try that
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-16-2020, 08:13 AM
musicman1951 musicman1951 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 2,560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyguitardj View Post
Shoulder strain after an hour or so
My Lowden is African Blackwood and it is a long way from light. I don't have any problem standing with it, but I stand very straight and have a 3" wide, very soft leather strap. You might try experimenting with either or both.
__________________
Keith
Martin 000-42 Marquis
Lowden S 50
Taylor Classical
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345
Fender P-Bass
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-16-2020, 08:17 AM
RalphH's Avatar
RalphH RalphH is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Canterbury, UK
Posts: 796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyguitardj View Post
Good idea will definitely try that
Let us know how you get on!

In terms of the weight itself, your guitar probably weighs around 4.5 lbs (you could balance it on the kitchen scales to check).

My leather jacket weighs 3.5lbs and I'm pretty sure I could hang it on one shoulder for an hour without injuring myself The weight of an acoustic really shouldn't be an issue.
__________________
Customshop Hummingbird (Review)
Sontronics Solo
Orange Crush Acoustic 30
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-16-2020, 06:36 PM
Crazyguitardj Crazyguitardj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
Let us know how you get on!

In terms of the weight itself, your guitar probably weighs around 4.5 lbs (you could balance it on the kitchen scales to check).

My leather jacket weighs 3.5lbs and I'm pretty sure I could hang it on one shoulder for an hour without injuring myself The weight of an acoustic really shouldn't be an issue.
I weighed my guitar and it turns out it's 4.6 pounds. I think I'm going to buy one of those nice and wide comfort straps because I do a lot of playing while standing up. Thanks for all of y'all's input into this thread!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-16-2020, 07:01 PM
Silly Moustache Silly Moustache is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: UK/EU
Posts: 15,912
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyguitardj View Post
Are y'all saying, in general, the higher the guitar is worn, the less strain?
Well, I'all is saying that - too low and your arms may be pulling the shoulders forward.

We all have different physiology of course, but if whatever you are doing hurts, you are doing something wrong.
__________________
Silly Moustache,
Elderly singer, guitarist, dobrolist and mandolinist.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SillyMoustache/videos
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-16-2020, 07:07 PM
bufflehead bufflehead is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyguitardj View Post
I weighed my guitar and it turns out it's 4.6 pounds. I think I'm going to buy one of those nice and wide comfort straps because I do a lot of playing while standing up. Thanks for all of y'all's input into this thread!
That's not light. My Martin Custom D (dreadnought), which is sitka/mahogany, weighs 3.5. I still use it with a 3" strap most of the time.
__________________
1 dreadnought, 1 auditorium, 1 concert, and 2 travel guitars.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-16-2020, 09:56 PM
Crazyguitardj Crazyguitardj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Well, I'all is saying that - too low and your arms may be pulling the shoulders forward.

We all have different physiology of course, but if whatever you are doing hurts, you are doing something wrong.
I'all totally understands, I wear the guitar at midrange, not at my knees and not covering my face lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=