The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-24-2017, 10:34 AM
evanrey evanrey is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 11
Default Breedlove Exotic Fingerstylist Opinions

Hello all!! First time poster, long time reader. I play a lot of fingerstlye and own one Breedlove already. However, the nearest store that has an exotic Fingerstylist is about 6 hours away from me. If anyone has had experience with this guitar I'd love to hear your opinions! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-24-2017, 11:38 AM
rogthefrog rogthefrog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 5,042
Default

I've played two, a couple of years apart, in two different places (i.e. not from the same batch). Very pretty and comfortable to play. However, I found both models to be extremely quiet, problematically so. The limited dynamic range really restricts what you can do with it.

I wouldn't drive 6 hours to play one.
__________________
Solo acoustic guitar videos:
This Boy is Damaged - Little Watercolor Pictures of Locomotives - Ragamuffin
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-24-2017, 04:26 PM
evanrey evanrey is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
I've played two, a couple of years apart, in two different places (i.e. not from the same batch). Very pretty and comfortable to play. However, I found both models to be extremely quiet, problematically so. The limited dynamic range really restricts what you can do with it.

I wouldn't drive 6 hours to play one.
Thank you for your insight! I know... is it still to quiet for fingerstyle though??
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-24-2017, 04:34 PM
Herb Hunter's Avatar
Herb Hunter Herb Hunter is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 18,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanrey View Post
Thank you for your insight! I know... is it still to quiet for fingerstyle though??
To my way of thinking, the finger-style method of playing calls for a guitar with a wide dynamic range. If a finger-stylist has to whip the strings in order to coax sufficient sound out of the guitar, he canít focus on being expressive.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-24-2017, 05:05 PM
rogthefrog rogthefrog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 5,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanrey View Post
Thank you for your insight! I know... is it still to quiet for fingerstyle though??
Yes. That's what I play, primarily.
__________________
Solo acoustic guitar videos:
This Boy is Damaged - Little Watercolor Pictures of Locomotives - Ragamuffin
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-24-2017, 05:06 PM
rogthefrog rogthefrog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 5,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
To my way of thinking, the finger-style method of playing calls for a guitar with a wide dynamic range. If a finger-stylist has to whip the strings in order to coax sufficient sound out of the guitar, he canít focus on being expressive.
Correct, that's the idea. That guitar had nice tone, but it's just too dang quiet.
__________________
Solo acoustic guitar videos:
This Boy is Damaged - Little Watercolor Pictures of Locomotives - Ragamuffin
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-24-2017, 05:34 PM
rick-slo's Avatar
rick-slo rick-slo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 13,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanrey View Post
Hello all!! First time poster, long time reader. I play a lot of fingerstlye and own one Breedlove already. However, the nearest store that has an exotic Fingerstylist is about 6 hours away from me. If anyone has had experience with this guitar I'd love to hear your opinions! Thanks in advance.
Do you like the sound of redwood or cedar tops in general? If so it could be worth some effort to play hands on, otherwise probably not.
__________________
Derek Coombs
Website -> Music -> Tabs -> CDs and Youtube
Guitars by Mark Blanchard, Albert&Mueller, Paul Woolson, Collings, Composite Acoustics, and Derek Coombs
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-24-2017, 07:51 PM
evanrey evanrey is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Do you like the sound of redwood or cedar tops in general? If so it could be worth some effort to play hands on, otherwise probably not.
Yes. My current Breedlove has a western red cedar top. I have been playing it for about 7 years and it has defiantly warmed up to be a beautiful instrument. If not the Exotic Fingerstylist, what else should I be looking at? Maybe a Masterclass Concert(Myrtle Wood)?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-24-2017, 08:48 PM
rogthefrog rogthefrog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 5,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanrey View Post
Yes. My current Breedlove has a western red cedar top. I have been playing it for about 7 years and it has defiantly warmed up to be a beautiful instrument. If not the Exotic Fingerstylist, what else should I be looking at? Maybe a Masterclass Concert(Myrtle Wood)?
Depends. What are you looking for? What do you play? Are you trying to duplicate the sound of your current Breedlove, or to find something different?

What is the shape and body wood of your current guitar?

I've played this one and it's terrific: http://mightyfineguitars.com/invento...ve-ca-cmw-3990
__________________
Solo acoustic guitar videos:
This Boy is Damaged - Little Watercolor Pictures of Locomotives - Ragamuffin
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-24-2017, 09:49 PM
_zedagive _zedagive is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 770
Default

You might ask Redmilk who bought this beauty:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...eedlove+exotic

Still mad at myself for not jumping on it.
__________________
_zedagive

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

2009 Breedlove Focus SE Redwood/EIR
2014 Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin
2015 Breedlove Exotic Fingerstylist Sinker Redwood/Ziricote
2017 Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-24-2017, 10:00 PM
rogthefrog rogthefrog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 5,042
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
You might ask Redmilk who bought this beauty:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...eedlove+exotic

Still mad at myself for not jumping on it.
There's one very much like it at Mighty Fine Guitars that's been languishing. It's been there a long time. Beautiful guitar, but just too quiet.

http://mightyfineguitars.com/invento...e-phoenix-2012
__________________
Solo acoustic guitar videos:
This Boy is Damaged - Little Watercolor Pictures of Locomotives - Ragamuffin
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-25-2017, 10:26 AM
RossM RossM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Muddy Bogs of Oregon
Posts: 137
Default

If you like Breedloves, check out the new Concerto line.
http://breedlovemusic.com/acoustic-g...hapes/concerto
Several of us on the forum have played them and they are clean clear and loud. I have two of the Breedlove Concert guitars so I'm not in the market but the Concerto I played was a great instrument.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-25-2017, 06:25 PM
evanrey evanrey is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Depends. What are you looking for? What do you play? Are you trying to duplicate the sound of your current Breedlove, or to find something different?

What is the shape and body wood of your current guitar?

I've played this one and it's terrific: http://mightyfineguitars.com/invento...ve-ca-cmw-3990
I currently play a concert style, cedar top, rosewood back and sides. I play almost 100% fingerstyle. I love how my current Breedlove sounds, just looking for a higher end acoustic. Willing to spend over 5k; however, the sound and feeling of a Breedlove is my preference.
BTW thank you everyone for your input! It's much appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-25-2017, 06:30 PM
ErikH ErikH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanrey View Post
I currently play a concert style, cedar top, rosewood back and sides. I play almost 100% fingerstyle. I love how my current Breedlove sounds, just looking for a higher end acoustic. Willing to spend over 5k; however, the sound and feeling of a Breedlove is my preference.
BTW thank you everyone for your input! It's much appreciated.
I would imagine you could find a superlative fingerstyle guitar within your budget. There are many options I would prefer over Breedlove in that range. A few that come to mind: Lowden, Bourgeois, used Goodall etc.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
breedlove, exotic, fingerstyle acoustic

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=