The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-04-2015, 09:24 PM
rrgguitarman's Avatar
rrgguitarman rrgguitarman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Visalia California
Posts: 1,418
Default 15.6" or 17" for DAW

So I've been using my 17" laptop for Sonar, but I am looking to purchase a new computer with more horses under the hood. I am leaning towards a 15.6" because I can get a great deal via Costco on a Windows 7 system which I really like. Question for those using a 15.6 screen, are you happy with the screen size when you use DAW? since I'm using Sonar, is the 15.6" screen big enough to not have the program shrink too badly?
I'm not sure if I'm asking the question I need answered correctly, my fear is going from 17 to 15.6 and being really disappointed.
Thank you.
__________________
Ruben

Last edited by rrgguitarman; 06-04-2015 at 11:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-04-2015, 10:21 PM
DupleMeter DupleMeter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,087
Default

I find that even with my 17" I liked an external screen when it cam time to edit & mix.

So, when my 17" laptop was long in the tooth I just went with a 13" so it was super light & portable, but maxed out all the specs so it was powerful - and use a 27" screen when I need the real-estate. It is great for lugging to location recording sessions...light and easy to fit just about anywhere.

Not sure if that helps you or not. We all like to work differently.
__________________
-Steve

Too many acoustic & electric guitars, basses, mandolins, violins, dulcimers, trumpets & percussion instruments to list.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-04-2015, 10:34 PM
rrgguitarman's Avatar
rrgguitarman rrgguitarman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Visalia California
Posts: 1,418
Default

Yes, it helps a bunch. I overlooked the ability to connect a bigger screen if I so desired via the HDMI.
Can you see the DAW OK on your 13"?
Thanks.
__________________
Ruben
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-04-2015, 10:38 PM
Trevor B. Trevor B. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 1,077
Default

I'm with DupleMeter on this one. Even though I'll soon be upgrading from my current 13" MacBook to a new 15" Macbook Pro I can't imagine trying to edit and mix without my 22" hp external screen.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-04-2015, 10:44 PM
rrgguitarman's Avatar
rrgguitarman rrgguitarman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Visalia California
Posts: 1,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
I'm with DupleMeter on this one. Even though I'll soon be upgrading from my current 13" MacBook to a new 15" Macbook Pro I can't imagine trying to edit and mix without my 22" hp external screen.
That makes sense, but can you record OK with your 13"?
__________________
Ruben

Last edited by rrgguitarman; 06-04-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-04-2015, 11:36 PM
Steev Steev is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the rainforest, QLD Oz.
Posts: 434
Default

I teach ProTools on a 27" iMac which is projected onto a large screen in the classroom.
When I'm working at home I use a 13" macbook.
I haven't ever felt the need to go bigger and I've had some fairly high track counts going (I guess I do sit a bit closer at home...)
I have just started using an iPad for my transport and faders which is nice.
__________________
www.stevereinthal.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-05-2015, 10:07 AM
rrgguitarman's Avatar
rrgguitarman rrgguitarman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Visalia California
Posts: 1,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
I teach ProTools on a 27" iMac which is projected onto a large screen in the classroom.
When I'm working at home I use a 13" macbook.
I haven't ever felt the need to go bigger and I've had some fairly high track counts going (I guess I do sit a bit closer at home...)
I have just started using an iPad for my transport and faders which is nice.
If 13" works, 15.6" will do.

Thank you guys so much for all your input.
__________________
Ruben
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-05-2015, 07:30 PM
Trevor B. Trevor B. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 1,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgguitarman View Post
That makes sense, but can you record OK with your 13"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
When I'm working at home I use a 13" macbook.
I haven't ever felt the need to go bigger and I've had some fairly high track counts going (I guess I do sit a bit closer at home...)
Hey Ruben,
I have no problem recording on my 13" Mac but rarely go above 5 or 6 tracks.

Hey Steev,
I won't be rude and ask how old you are but given my age and eyesight I need all the visual real estate I can get for mixing and editing. So I guess that means we each have to figure out our own specific needs.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-05-2015, 09:24 PM
Steev Steev is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the rainforest, QLD Oz.
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Hey Ruben,
I have no problem recording on my 13" Mac but rarely go above 5 or 6 tracks.

Hey Steev,
I won't be rude and ask how old you are but given my age and eyesight I need all the visual real estate I can get for mixing and editing. So I guess that means we each have to figure out our own specific needs.
Hi Trevor,

I'm old but I wear glasses for computer work! 8-)

You're right, each to their own, I guess my point was just that we're usually only working on one track/clip or group at a time and a bit of zoom toggle or Opt/F makes things big enough for me on a small screen.

cheers
Steve
__________________
www.stevereinthal.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-05-2015, 09:41 PM
skiltrip skiltrip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New City, NY
Posts: 1,583
Default

17" screen laptops are HUGE. Definitely get a 15" and use an external monitor for when you're at your desk doing lengthy sessions. I used my 15" Macbook Pro with a 24" monitor at my desk. But honestly, when I'm working away from my desk, the 15" screen does just fine. I used to have a 13" MacBook Pro, and that was definitely cramped when it came to working on audio.
__________________

2015 Taylor 416e (Martin MSP4150 12.5-55)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (John Pearse PB 13-56)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Elixir)


http://www.myspace.com/jkipcount
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3315401/
http://www.youtube.com/jkipcount
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Karel Karel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 491
Default

For a laptop a 17" is too big but for working with your DAW I would certainly go for the biggest screen you can get. With my DAW (Reason) I work on a PC with a 23" screen, but even than I was so happy I could install an old second 17" screen beside it.
__________________
AKA Charlie

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-06-2015, 07:12 PM
Trevor B. Trevor B. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 1,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev View Post
Hi Trevor,

I'm old but I wear glasses for computer work! 8-)

You're right, each to their own, I guess my point was just that we're usually only working on one track/clip or group at a time and a bit of zoom toggle or Opt/F makes things big enough for me on a small screen.

cheers
Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
17" screen laptops are HUGE. Definitely get a 15" and use an external monitor for when you're at your desk doing lengthy sessions. I used my 15" Macbook Pro with a 24" monitor at my desk. But honestly, when I'm working away from my desk, the 15" screen does just fine. I used to have a 13" MacBook Pro, and that was definitely cramped when it came to working on audio.
I hear you Steve, and agree that zooming helps but to skiltrip's point, even with the zoom toggled on I find the 13" screen cramped. That said, if I had to work with only the 13" screen I'm sure I'd adapt, however; it's really nice to have the option of keeping a couple of windows open at the same time. Oh-oh, does this mean I have to stop complaining about not having enough gear in my studio???
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-06-2015, 07:15 PM
skiltrip skiltrip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New City, NY
Posts: 1,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Oh-oh, does this mean I have to stop complaining about not having enough gear in my studio???

What fun would that be? You can never have too much, or too little gear. It really is a no win situation.



Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
__________________

2015 Taylor 416e (Martin MSP4150 12.5-55)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (John Pearse PB 13-56)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Elixir)


http://www.myspace.com/jkipcount
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3315401/
http://www.youtube.com/jkipcount
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-06-2015, 09:36 PM
DupleMeter DupleMeter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgguitarman View Post
Yes, it helps a bunch. I overlooked the ability to connect a bigger screen if I so desired via the HDMI.
Can you see the DAW OK on your 13"?
Thanks.
Yes - for tracking it's fine. I would not want to mix or edit on it...but it does work fine when I do location recording.
__________________
-Steve

Too many acoustic & electric guitars, basses, mandolins, violins, dulcimers, trumpets & percussion instruments to list.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-07-2015, 06:19 PM
rrgguitarman's Avatar
rrgguitarman rrgguitarman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Visalia California
Posts: 1,418
Default

Thank you so much for all your feedback.

I went ahead and ordered the 15.6".
I think that it will serve me well as I learn how to get the most out of the Sonar software. I already own a 24" screen that I can hook up to if I ever feel the need. My 17" is still alive and kicking so I am kind of looking forward to seeing them side by side.
__________________
Ruben
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=